August 2nd-8th Winchester bay and Umpqua River advice.

scbassmaster

twin22s
Sep 8, 2006
san clemente
Name
Brian
Boat
"I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
SoCal boy going to be in OR for a week on the Umpqua around scottsburg. I have a couple bucket list fish to check off, smallmouth bass should be fairly easy but open to suggestions on tackle and lures. Real question is about salmon/Steelhead. I’ll be hanging out in windy bay a day or too and was wondering if there was a snowballs chance in hell of catching a salmon from shore. Or if I need to charter a boat(really don’t want to do that). I have tons of generic fishing gear for bass, trout, tuna, and striper. I’m hoping a freak rain storm brings some fish into the bay or even up the river and I can target them there. I will probably buy a few things but don’t want to make it too complicated. What one or two rigs would give me the best chance at salmon from the bank somewhere between the bay and Elkton? Sorry I don’t have much to add to the forum but if any of you head down to SoCal I’d be happy to return the favor.

curtisD

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 18, 2009
Or
www.yahoo.com
Name
curt
Boat
43 Delta
I used to live in Winchester Bay years ago.
Smallmouth will be a no brainer. Brown Tube baits near the bottom.
Salmon from shore is a possibility. Either off the jetty or in the cove at start of jetty.
Casting spinners or spoons.
If there’s enough salmon to be caught, there will be guys casting. Just find out what they’re using.

DuckFan

Dec 22, 2015
Roseburg
Name
Rob
Boat
20' North River
If you go to Winchester you can throw spinners from the beach you will see others doing it. They catch salmon doing this ever year.

scbassmaster

twin22s
Sep 8, 2006
san clemente
Name
Brian
Boat
"I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
Thanks Duckfan and Curtis, I have an 8’6” salmon travel rod I use for shore fishing, strange to actually be using it for salmon this time, haha. The reel I was going to bring is a revo toro with 50lb braid, top shot 15-25lb? I have other casting reels if a lighter reel/line is needed for stealth or casting distance.

DuckFan

Dec 22, 2015
Roseburg
Name
Rob
Boat
20' North River
15-25lb will work just fine brackish water so the fish are not leader shy,they usually throw 1 ounce pink spinners from the beach into the river they catch some Chinook and sometimes a lot of Coho if they are in. There is a local business that ties spinners you can buy them there in Winchester Bay I have been told they work well.