FINATIC 21

MAD SALMON
Jul 20, 2010
Oly, WA
Name
Jay
Boat
27 Raydanie Pilothouse
First WTC from my own boat , pre fished Friday inside of 40 miles, went 12 for 20 or so hookups on troll and bait conversion stops with some really nice grade of fish mixed in, had a newbie on board that managed to lose 6-7 fish , after some instruction on technique :smash: he fared much better later in the day , back across the bar around 3:30 or so..

Saturday on game day didn't go as well with the ocean conditions, and rough conditions on the deck for the rookie , he was back to his old tricks of losing fish due to letting the tuners school him and we kept telling him , your letting that fish rest put the hammer to him and show him who's Boss ! :Beat_Them, after 12 hookups on troll and bait , only 3 fish made it over the gunnel , still a great time and kudos to my squared away deckhand for keepin chit straight on the back deck and getting some kickass mini boils next to the boat goin, he practically had em takin livies from his hand . Bait tank worked awsome , I don't think we lost a single bait due to the tank in two days of fishing.

After getting the boat completed , after a year project, just in time it was nice to have things come together as they did and get on some action at least ! Some pics from Friday and Sat. And even a underwater go pro shot I forgot to add ...!

Tight lines ... Jay

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

Sea Sport

Made in Washington
Sep 8, 2014
Auburn, WA
Name
Chuck Masonic
Boat
Excalibur-2700 Sea Sport Pilot-
Thanks for the update!!! Have been anxious to hear how the WTC boats did. And it sounds like you hit some tunies in closer than expected. Seems like 60 or 70 miles out has been previous estimates. Thanks for supporting the WTC this year!!!

TonyG

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
Thx for the report and NICE WORK!

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Looks like you found the fish! Good pictures. I seem to get too excited to take them!

SalishFish

Dec 14, 2013
Anacortes - Dewey
Name
Doug
Boat
22 Skagit Orca - Max'inux
Well done. Very well done. Very rewarding to have built out your own rig and have it deliver!!

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
Good job on the fish, boat and the Tank.

Who made the bait tank for you? The off shore bracket?

Ya could have been a contender.

Reactions: GregE

FINATIC 21

MAD SALMON
Jul 20, 2010
Oly, WA
Name
Jay
Boat
27 Raydanie Pilothouse
:D:DLOL .....Ok , so John is fishin', without even being on his boat !!

But, Credit where credit is due

So I aquired this boat/hull in a trade I made with a guy down south in the Oregon coast that had started a remodel/rebuild but because of a accident was unable to finish it (you may have seen it for sale on CL for a bunch of cash, claiming it was 70 %complete). Well it wasn't and it originally had twin inboard 4 cyl Volvo inboards with 280 drives.

I was looking for a alum pilothouse style offshore project boat at the time and got the trade done for a sled I had , since the guy was able to still fish the bay's we were both happy with the deal.

Immediately after getting it home , my boss hits me up and tells me I'm being sent to the high desert in Kali , to cover down as a QAR on one of the helo sites we oversee, 3 months max (yeah right I've heard that before ). I weld myself and have a nice Tig machine and decent 250 spoolgun , and was going to adapt the boat to outboard bracket , it with the impeding leaving town thing , it did t look good to get it finished for this year , Goat stepped up and offered to come down with Jim and take a look and see what it would cost to get it knocked out . I raced to strip the boat out and remove the motors, drives, wiring and everything else before I left , they came down we agreed on what I wanted done , and he towed it back up north. This was I think around the end of August last year 2015

I was flying home on weekends welding on another sled project I had to get done as well during this time, Fast foward to November 1st (also my birthday) , John called me down in Kali and let me know that the boat would be ready to pick up and bring home to start rigging . I flew home and came up grabbed the boat towed it home , parked it in front of the shop and immediately drove back to the airport to get on a plane back south to Kali for work.

Finally 4 months later on December 31 th , I was released from the site down there( guy they hired finally showed up , Gov employees I tell ya) and flew home.

I immediatly and feverishly started on the boat all the finish welding and wiring , motors , 2 station hydraulic steering , autopilot, network, rear station and front AP controls , front and rear MFD's , kill box w/spray bar , complete overkill tinned wiring thru-out, plumbing in the 5 pumps for everything as well as interior counters and bench seating and even aquired a new (blem) Air Ride seat out of a semi.

I worked every night after work and weekends non stop as late as I could go , most nights till 12-1am and weekends till I couldn't see straight or weld/wire/wrench anymore , I finally got it far enough to at least get a run on the motors at the lake around middle of June I believe , but still had loads of wiring ahead of me.

After the first run , all went well and I came home and back to the grind to get as far as I could get it to be fish able this year and was aiming to get a trip or two for tuna/salmon and try to make in time to ended the WTC , (Goat said fat chance of that:D).....

So busted ass , got things up online and working made the first trip offshore around the middle of July and the second for tuna shortly after that, putting 14 in the boat , I contacted the WTC folks and put my name on the wait list hoping to get in... Jack called around the first week of August and said I was in...! Hell Ya'

So lots to do this fall/winter when she comes home from Westport for the season, but the boat has done me right already in some pretty big seas and handled great and better than expected, I'm sure everyone will say not enough power, but it is what I had sitting in the shop to use for the time being and if your doubtful , come take a ride on her , she's quick on step and comes up really flat , with virtually no bow rise and has a good torque curve mid throttle with plenty to spare in the swells, I will be looking for more power down the road when I can afford it .

Thanks go out big time to John and Jim for making this chit happen early on , even though I was out of state, work was still progressing with me gone ...... He did the complete extension , floor drop , bait tank, fish box area.......

Some may not believe this boats original configuration when it was built , (I got it already with pilothouse on) so I will include the only pics I could dig up on the net of the boat from the Columbia historical gillnetters association site. It's come along ways and it's still fishing ...

Here are the original config. Pic , after that all the stuff we did to transform the boat ....!

Well that pretty much is the timeline and how the boat got done , and how I made it to fish the WTC , in time as I wanted, in less than a year, from procuring it to putting blood on the deck .......!!

Lots has been done besides what is in the pics just don't have photos of all the finishing stuff as I was to buzi to take any ...!

Thanks John for your help and your friendship over the years !!!!!

From the first time I tried to chew ya down buying your 150 yami over the phone from Hawaii :D:D

Do ya feel better now .....?

Jay

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg image.png

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
Wow!! What an Epic transformation.

Another example of good BD folks helping others. :)

and that IS a very pretty bait tank John!!

Last edited:

SalishFish

Dec 14, 2013
Anacortes - Dewey
Name
Doug
Boat
22 Skagit Orca - Max'inux
That really is a great build-up from a solid base. As a former boat builder I can admore the hard work and good outcome

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner
nice work....