azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
Good Evening All.
I used to fish for the Atlantic Cod and Haddock from NYC to Maine. The Codfish and Haddock were a prized table fare. I see that the Pacific Cod fish caught in AK is consider a trash/bycatch. Are they the same fish? cheers

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Good Evening All.
I used to fish for the Atlantic Cod and Haddock from NYC to Maine. The Codfish and Haddock were a prized table fare. I see that the Pacific Cod fish caught in AK is consider a trash/bycatch. Are they the same fish? cheers
I’m not sure, but I miss eating haddock,
Good stuff.

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
cod is one of those catch all names that can be many different fish depending where you are. Kinda like red snapper

Reactions: Whalebreath
Upvote 0

Wahoover

• Jan 5, 2005
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    jack snipe
    Boat
    Long Range
    Atlantic Cod and Pacific Cod are separate species, and both valuable fishes. In the Pacific, other closely related species of lesser value include Alaskan Pollock (which is commonly used as the main ingredient in surimi products like imitation crab meat), and Pacific Whiting, which is the least valuable -- most likely the trash/bycatch fish you are referring to as "Pacific Cod".

Upvote 0

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
    Oct 15, 2006
    Alpine
    Name
    Leoman
    Boat
    Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
    I eat that trash all the time - in fact I have a nice filet defrosting in refer for tomorrow -who is calling it trash fish anyway?

KNOW YOUR COD: ATLANTIC VERSUS PACIFIC​

Prized for its snow-white, pearlescent flesh and gentle but distinctive flavour, cod has long been the fish of choice for consumers the world over and the benchmark by which most other whitefish is compared.

Because of its huge culinary appeal, cod has been one of the most important, internationally traded food products for many centuries.

There are two main species available to the market:

1. Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua), found in large volumes in the cold, deep waters of the North Atlantic.
    2. Pacific cod (Gadus macrocephalus), found in particularly rich abundance in Alaska.

IMG_1991.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Atlantic Cod and Pacific Cod are separate species, and both valuable fishes. In the Pacific, other closely related species of lesser value include Alaskan Pollock (which is commonly used as the main ingredient in surimi products like imitation crab meat), and Pacific Whiting, which is the least valuable -- most likely the trash/bycatch fish you are referring to as "Pacific Cod".
    I also heard that Alaskan Pollock is what Mickey D's use for their "filet of fish" sandwich, That's what I was told.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Pacific cod are great on the table. In fact, I know several people up here who prefer to to halibut. I'm not sure I agree, but it is good to eat and has a huge commercial fishery. In my case, the problem is that pacific cod is truly excellent halibut bait, so when I catch one, I filet it on the boat and sent a side back down. And it stays on the hook for several fish...

Reactions: Chicago Pete
    Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    What Mark said above... I know Alaskans who prefer P. cod over halibut as well. They are very good eating. Some consider them "trash fish" because they are targeting halibut and get cod instead. And if you cut them up for bait, they can leave a crappy (literally) mess all over the boat. Simple enough to hose it down, but some charter captains seem to get miffed over it.

Interestingly, as regs for halibut charters have grown more and more restrictive in the past decade in AK, a lot of charter boats are now keeping those trashy cod! More meat for the customer.

For a real interesting read, check out Kurlansky's book.

516DkqA+E-L._SL350_.jpg

Reactions: azbaseball
    Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    cod is one of those catch all names that can be many different fish depending where you are. Kinda like red snapper

I know what you mean (drove me up a wall when I moved here when people called rockfish cod, which I now do to lol) but that's not what he's talking about. There are true Pacific Cod that are almost identical to Atlatnic Cod:

Pacific Cod
    1628008346640.png

Atlantic Cod

1628008396559.png

In the Atlantic Cod are beyond prized. We used to fish them in NY in the dead of winter 30-50 miles offshore, think breaking your rods out of saltwater ice before you can think about fishing cold. In Alaska they are absolutley considered a trash fish and no one fishes for them recreationally.

I've actually always wondered about it as well.

(And damn I miss eating Haddock)

Atlantic Cod.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    What Mark said above... I know Alaskans who prefer P. cod over halibut as well. They are very good eating. Some consider them "trash fish" because they are targeting halibut and get cod instead. And if you cut them up for bait, they can leave a crappy (literally) mess all over the boat. Simple enough to hose it down, but some charter captains seem to get miffed over it.

Interestingly, as regs for halibut charters have grown more and more restrictive in the past decade in AK, a lot of charter boats are now keeping those trashy cod! More meat for the customer.

For a real interesting read, check out Kurlansky's book.

View attachment 1305353

The book was great from a historical prespetive. The idea people from the Basque region were cod fishing in the US long before any explorers was pretty mind blowing. I hate the end though. They failed to address improvements in stocks or how quotas and regulations were working.

Reactions: nicodemus
    Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    The book was great from a historical prespetive. The idea people from the Basque region were cod fishing in the US long before any explorers was pretty mind blowing. I hate the end though. They failed to address improvements in stocks or how quotas and regulations were working.
    Yes, the efforts made definitely have given the Atlantic stocks a (much needed) boost. Still a great read.

Upvote 0