ATD 30 w/ 130 Spectra rod match

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by pwstriper, Oct 23, 2017.

1. pwstriper

pwstriper Member

Name:
    Mike M
    Boat:
    In between boats.. for now PQ, NLA, SHOGUN
    Would you match an ATD 30 w/ 130 spectra to an SEEKER OSP 2x4 or 3x?

I'm 37 years, 190 and in good shape, meaning i pull decently hard.

Guadalupe trip in Late November, YFT 80-200+lb

2. shellback

shellback Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    shellback
    Boat:
    other peoples
    2x4 for heavy bait works for me. with multiple 140-180's. at the lupe however- bear in mind you could be fishing anywhere from 40lb to 130lb

shellback

3. DC61

DC61 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul L.
    Boat:
    33’ Blackfin
    Personally I fish 100# on my Accurate 30's. I do splice 130 into the last 75' for a little more strength at the end game battle. I cannot quote the difference in thickness between 100 and 130 and I know it varies greatly between the manufacturers, but I would have a concern about the line capacity of 130 on an Accurate 30. I am sure others will chime in with their thoughts. It may be negligible, but I think it may be something to consider.

As far as the rods, I am still old school. I use Calstar 770 rail rod. I have them in single, double, and triple X. I have redone all of my "smaller" rods with UC (up to Centaur and Predator). I just haven't gotten around to upping my rail rods to UC. I will get there, but it's not in the budget right now.

On my January long trip, my go to rod for fishing a sardine will be a Calstar 77XX with an Accurate 30 with 100#. I have caught plenty of cows with it, but it is a little on the "light" side. Everything is a trade off. You have to fish "light" to get a bite. You wish you were fishing heavier when you hook a good one....

If I were buying today, I would certainly do a UC rail rod. I am sure others will weigh in on the choice of UC rods.

Good luck with your decision.

Steel8 and dh515 like this.
  4. Statistico

Statistico Statistition

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    None
    My ATD 30 goes to my Calstar 7465h. The rod is a bit short for today’s fancy but it works very well. A stud of a rod. I also use another 7465h with my ATD 12. I use my 2 x 4 (s) with my Cal Mod Penn 30, and perhaps the ATD 30. I’ve used the 2x4 with an ATD 50 and Avet 50SDS as well.
    ATD30/Penn30/ATD12 = 100#
    ATD50/Avet50SDS = 130#
    I’m older and not adding much gear to the arsenal these days...
    Avoiding wrath from Steve K.
    Why these pairings? Good success in the past.

Joe

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    fshholc likes this.
  5. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    I’d put the ATD 30 on the 2x4. I have both rods mentioned and the 2x4 has a lighter tip better for flipping a sardine but is capable of handling any tuna you would hook. For Guadalupe I’d consider putting 100# spectra on that reel. More capacity and the thinner line will do better fishing the long soak. Another option if you don’t want to do that would be to remove maybe a hundred yards and splice in some solid. Good luck!

Steel8, Fishybuzz and ReelDealAngler- like this.
  6. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Yo Mike,

Your ATD 30 is an amazing reel.. I have been fishing 3 of the 30's along with several 50's and an 80 for almost 14 years with dozens of cows, and probably 100's of smaller grade tuna caught on them. I too fish 100# Hollow spectra on the 30's from which I can fish 60 - 150 pound pre-made top shots. I prefer the thinner Spectra for fly lining live bait. Unless there is a nick or fray in 100 pound spectra no angler is going to break it when pulling on a fish. Abrasion resistance on Spectra sucks so there is little to no benefit in that regard between 130 and 100. The first many years I stepped up the top 75 feet or so with 130 Hollow but I have not found any need to do that in the last many years especially fishing hollow Threadlock. I

Over the years I have matched those 30 ATD reels to every sort of rod imaginable.. When I first got them I matched them to my custom built Calstar 755 XXH's, 765XH and fished out of the harness.. Since back then I was really the only one fishing what was then considered undersized reels I had a huge edge over the guys fly lining bait on 50 and 80 sized reels on ultra long range trips. As a note: I worked with Accurate to then change my reels to open top versions, a faster ramping cam and high speeded the gearing.. To this day, they are amongst my favorite reels for everything from fly lining bait to chunking to dropping my JRI 8's, JRI 66's and PL 68's. There is little doubt in my mind that Accurate was way ahead of their time with the ATD series.

When Randy designed the Super Seeker series of Rail rods for Seeker, I custom built those in 2 X 4's, 3X and 4X versions in full blank lengths of roughly 7 foot 3 inches long for use with these ATD 30's. No roller guides on any of the rods as even back then we realized the newer high end ring guide sets were better for our applications and required almost no maintenance. The 4X, due to it's softer tip blending into the great backbone was by far and away my favorite of the series as the power of that Accurate was and is stunning, matching beautifully to both the 3 X and 4X. Some folks were a bit freaked out to fish a 4X, as in their minds a 4X would have to be a telephone pole (Not at all true), until they tried my setups. Many settled on the 3X version of the Super Seeker and were happy as heck. I still own my 2 X 4's but match them to my 12 size Accurate, 16 Mak, or use them for trolling on shorter trips with my Dad's old Penn 50S (Sentimental value).

I no longer fish my 755XXh's but still love my 4X Super Seeker matched to the 30 ATD.. In addition I now match 2 of my 30 ATD's, 2 of my 20 Makaira's and 50 Accurates (On the rare occasion I fish a 50) to my UC Vipers and Invictus rail rods.. No doubt most folks can match these 30 ATD's to the Centaur but I prefer these matched to a more powerful stick. No doubt Calstar makes some awesome rods as well to match to this reel.

If you are sold on the OSP line, and you pull hard consistently, stick with either the 3X or 4X versions to get full benefit of that 30 ATD,.. The 2 X 4's are great for the Lupe when there is a bit of a sea going but when you want to employ the true power of your great reel, especially on flatter days, then the 3 and 4 X will be your best friend.. Even on those smaller grade, sub 100 pound fish, why not just rope in those fish on these powerful rigs so you can easily and quickly get a bait back out in the water to get another? Additionally, I feel the 2 X 4 is a bit to bendy when using super high drag when fishing droppers to those nasty bottom feeding Yellowtail found at the Lupe, at least for my style.

I have always noted, when fishing these crazy powerful reels, the angler needs to know their connections and condition of line are in perfect condition.. The real benefit of fishing any of the Okuma Makaira, Penn V series or Accurate ATD reels is when that Angler knows they can pull hard without fear of breaking something. These reels are magnificent and expensive so why not get the most out of them?

Finally, though I love my Accurate reels, they are more in need of maintenance than some of the other top of the line reels used today.. Not a big deal....Depending on how old your reel is they may still be under factory warrantee for service. Even if they are not, I highly recommend you send them in or take them to the factory for service any time they have gotten drenched with sea water either from High seas coming over the rail, sea water from hoses washing off the decks and often the reels sitting in the racks or at least once a year. The best insurance policy you can get. Back in the day, I spent a ton of time long ranging so mine went back at least twice a year with zero problems. To this day, I love my Open Top, High Speed ATD 30's for almost every application used on West Coast Long Range trips where heavier gear is required.

Best of luck with your choices.

Jamie

7. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    X2... very good advice for fishing Guadalupe. I've been there in late November the last 3 years and the GW's are generally not present in the numbers they are in the earlier months (Sept & Oct) so the lighter tip 2x4 will aid in getting your bait further from the boat via cast or lob and it will provide a bit more challenge (FUN) landing the typical Lupe 75lb-150lb YFT, the rod can handle cow size YFT as well... which are very few and far between at Guadalupe. And I would definitely have a heavy 60lb outfit as well like an ATD 12 on a 1x3 would be perfect (several other heavy 60lb rods and reels at less cost would work well too). 80lb braid to 60lb/80lb short (3-10 foot) fluoro leader is often the hot terminal setup for the fly line sardine application which is how most of the YFT are caught at the Lupe... other than the kite of course.

I'm going mid November and December this year so we shall see. Have a great trip (IMO, the Lupe is truly an awesome LR location especially for a 5-8 day LR trip that time of the year... the boats that don't have Lupe permits are regretting it).

Tight lines and blue skies!

G

freegaff2 and dh515 like this.
  8. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    SS 2X4 IMO.....For all the listed reasons...short and sweet...

9. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Serious lack of that, short and sweet. ;) 2X4 at Lupe fished with an ATD12 was all I needed.
    Does a fine all around job with a bigger reel, too. Did good work with it and an Avet EX30W on a heavy down at Hurricane Bank in January. But, I’m a fan of lighter spectra for that reel, too.

10. mberggre

mberggre Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    N/A
    OSP 2x4 has a little more backend than the original SS 2x4. If you think you can really pull, get the slightly heavier rod.

11. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    2x4 with ATD30 loaded with 100# was a go to of mine for many trips.

Great setup.

freegaff2, dh515, Rodless_Jim and 2 others like this.
  12. pwstriper

pwstriper Member

Name:
    Mike M
    Boat:
    In between boats.. for now PQ, NLA, SHOGUN
    thank you. i pulled on on the 3x after all

fishordie likes this.