ATD-30 freespool

cudun

Aug 30, 2005
ORANGE COUNTY, CA
Name
LUAN
Boat
26' Grady White CC & 2530 Parker
Badly influenced by the praises on ATD-30 as the best cow reel. I bit the bullet and bought a new topless ATD-30. I am surprised to see that the reel free spools only 3-4 seconds. Is it usual/typical for this reel ? I would think for the kind of dough this reel costs, it should not need the help from Cal or Cofe, should it?
Your thought are much appreciated.

puroagave

Nov 23, 2005
so ca
Name
Rob
Boat
RP
cal adds a bearing sleeve for the spool - something standard on the avet ex reels and penn vsx. he also has a 1.2:1 low gear and cams w/ different grinds for tuning the usable drag range. its a good bait reel when hes done with it LOL

coryellk

Fly Navy
Mar 7, 2006
Fallbrook, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
When Wife makes more $...
Do you know your way around a reel? Are you inclined to follow Alan's tuturial? If you are, I would use this "opportunity" to PM the reel yourself. First and foremost, check your drag adjustment against a spring scale and make sure you don't have some insane amount of drag dialed in. If you do dial it down to the advertised drag settings and then proceed... Assuming you bought it new, pull it apart and lightly grease the drags, wiping off all excess. Take the reel foot apart and gease the metal to metal surfaces and screw holes. When you have it apart, apply grease to each screw hole and go easy with the torque on the reassembly. Pull the shields off the spool bearings. You can leave them off. Once you get done with this procedure, you'll be qualified to PM your reel after every trip. Clean the spool bearings out with carb cleaner, lighter fluid, brake cleaner, etc and dry them off. Don't use compressed air to dry them... Reapply a light oil like ReelX, Black Market, etc and a single drop of Extreme Lube+ to each spool bearing. Make sure the spool shaft has no grease on it. Make sure the inside of the spool arbor, i.e. where the shaft spins, doesn't have any grease either. Apply a few drops of Extreme Lube+ to the spool shaft and reassemble. Check your free spool from here.

Pls let me know how it worked out for you.

mchawk

Nov 9, 2005
huntington beach
Name
michael
Boat
?
cal adds a bearing sleeve for the spool - something standard on the avet ex reels and penn vsx.
Not saying Cal doesn't put a bearing sleeve in the Accurates, but I don't see why it would be necessary on a stock Accurate. Accurates have drags on both sides of the spool so there is no sideloading or binding of the spool bearings. That's why you can crank up the drags and still have freespool, the lever gets harder to push but the freespool is still there.

That being said Cal can take a great reel and make it perform above and beyond what it designed to do (and that may include a bearing sleeve on the accurates), but (unless your looking for some extreme performance out of it) you shouldn't need to send your accurate to him just to get freespool.

Since it's a topless 30 it should already have the greased drags and the spool bearings should have oil in them and not graese. The spool on that reel is pretty heavy so your not going to have a ton of freespool anyway but you should get about 15-25 seconds. There maybe some grease between the sideplate and the spool, that clearance is pretty tight and any grease in there will slow down the spool. If you take it apart to inspect you might as well check the spool bearings to make sure they are oiled and not greased and that they spin freely, and look for excess grease in the places Kevin mentioned.

If your not comfortable working on the reel, take it to accurate and have them check it for you.

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
I bit the bullet and bought a new topless ATD-30. I am surprised to see that the reel free spools only 3-4 seconds. Is it usual/typical for this reel?

Your thought are much appreciated.
is the spool filled or empty?

puroagave

Nov 23, 2005
so ca
Name
Rob
Boat
RP
Not saying Cal doesn't put a bearing sleeve in the Accurates, but I don't see why it would be necessary on a stock Accurate.
ask 'hoodad - it makes a difference. ive had six atd30s new/used they've all freespooled less that great. i have a new 30 going to Cals for a sleeve - ill let you know how it works out.

cudun

Aug 30, 2005
ORANGE COUNTY, CA
Name
LUAN
Boat
26' Grady White CC & 2530 Parker
Thank you all for your input. I'll open it up and give it a shot. By the way, where can I find the tutorial on ATD 30 from Alan Tani ? It wasn't on his website when I checked. A Google search did not yield anything either.
I guess all ATDs coming straight from the factory do not freespool since my topless ATD -12 is having the same issue; it spins around 4 seconds.

"is the spool filled or empty? " it's empty, dalurker.
Special thanks to Kevin, Coryellk for your detailed instruction.

"I'd give Accurate a call before doing anything to involved. "
I sent them an email on Wed. Haven't received their response yet.

mchawk

Nov 9, 2005
huntington beach
Name
michael
Boat
?
ask 'hoodad - it makes a difference. ive had six atd30s new/used they've all freespooled less that great. i have a new 30 going to Cals for a sleeve - ill let you know how it works out.
I believe you Rob, I'm sure Cal figured out a way to hotrod that reel that requires a bearing sleeve, just saying it shouldn't be necessary unless your looking for performance that the stock reel won't give you.

He should be getting more than 5 seconds of freespool out of the box, on that 30.

The atd 30 is basically the same as the 12 here's the link to Alan's 12 tutorial.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/accurate/30780-accurate-12-twin-drag-rebuild.html

There's also a powerpoint slidshow for the atd's on the accurate site in the support dropdown menu.

JSR

Sep 5, 2005
Irvine
Name
John
Boat
n/a
the reel rolls perfect when baitfishing
light in your hands with the balls to land cows
on land impressions don't measure up
some have a tendency to overroll, avets
diawa slt's have the sleeve and are great reels
tiagras get the job done but heavy
and,
you have to have some talent in presenting a bait
many things are involved besides the reel

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
Thank you all for your input. I'll open it up and give it a shot. By the way, where can I find the tutorial on ATD 30
ATD Support

there are powerpoint shows for the spool maintenance and for the reel itself. you may want to coat the whole insides of the frame with muscle grease for added protection.

PescadorPete

Here, Fishy, Fishy!
Nov 4, 2007
Leucadia, CA
Name
Pete
Boat
Hobie Revo13 (LJ), American Angler (SD), Success (PV)
Kevin,
"Don't use compressed air to dry them... "
Why not? What does this do to the bearings?
Pete

Sep 16, 2007
glendora ca.
Name
steve huth
Boat
mike's-bill's good to have friends
All new accurates come with cal's grease inside. If you want more freespool then clean and then oil spool bearings as said by others. but be ready to servrice it after every longrange trip. the grease slowes the spool but protect the bearings. it's your choice how often you want to service the reel. I myself enjoy taking reels apart mine and my friends so I oil spool bearings.