At San Clemente Island, and this happened...

Marc S

Captain
Mar 2, 2012
Calabasas, Calif. USA
Name
Marc
Boat
Inflatable
I was fishing at San Clemente Island this week on a private charter, and my friend shows me a brand new Phenix rod he’d just bought, along with a brand new Tranx 500 reel. We were trying for Yellowtail that were breezing by, and my friend quickly ties on a surface iron and let’s it fly... However, on his excited first cast with this new outfit, as he gets a major backlash, the rod snaps out of his hand and disappears over the side. As we are all watching it sink out of sight, gone forever, and not quite sure what to say, the captain says, “You know why they call it the Tranx 500? Because if you drop it over the side, you say, there goes $500 dollars.” That lightened the mood and we all had a good laugh.

BloodyL

Throwing everything I got
Jan 4, 2009
Placentia
Name
Mick
Boat
The Beach
Been there done that - but not a brand new set up.

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Shit happens!

Last edited:

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
plastic fantastic
I guess the reps were right when they said "the Shimano Tranx only works with a Shimano Terez rod. It will not work any other way."

I'll have my crow medium well.

carnage007

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 9, 2004
Encino
Name
nick
Boat
to poor
Watched a guy drop a brand new talica 12 set overboard....that was borrowed. The guy was so bummed, next thing we know someone was able to hook it with a jig and brought it back to the boat.

Reactions: pacificscout

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
My buddy was bounce balling for halibut in Santa Monica Bay when he got a bite and reeled in a rod and reel that had a nice legal halibut on the end of it's line

Reactions: hbouldin1216

Marc S

Captain
Mar 2, 2012
Calabasas, Calif. USA
Name
Marc
Boat
Inflatable
The fishing was wide open... if you like rock fishing. No biters on this trip from the Yellows or White Sea Bass, but we got lots or big Reds, Chuckleheads, Johnny Bass and I got one nice big Ling Cod on my last drop of the day. So no game fish on this trip but we had lots of fun anyways.

Reactions: embo

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
We were coming home on a Spring 8-day on the Shogun and got into a wide open albacore bite on 30-45lb fish. The guy next to casts out with a brand new Trinidad 20 on a custom rod and some how let go of it.

It was pretty surreal watching it sink out thinking damn there goes a thousand bucks

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
Watched a kid do that a few weeks ago. Was really trying to muscle it and it snagged and pulled right out his hands.

larry dickson

Jul 16, 2012
LA CA USA
Name
Chuck Roast
Boat
20' Skip
Reminds me of a trip a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away.
1991 new years trip. 16 day on the Royal Polaris, at the lunker hole, San Benidicto island. Observed one of the passengers casting out a big scad mackerel, and watched a penn 50 wide 2 speed and yo's wrapped roller rod sabre 6455xxh? All slip out of his hands and over the side ( slimy hands?). WOW! He did not say a word, or fuss. Nonchalantly walked over to the rack, grabbed another rod and reel ( like the one that went over) picked up the biggest long dead big mackerel off the deck. Drop it in up at the bow, and by the time he had followed it to the stern he was hooked up to big moe. A little while later in through the door comes a 322! AMAZING
Made my 227 look like a runt!

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Name
Pat
Boat
Hobie kayak
My favorite rig was an Avet HX 5/2 on a custom rod. I was at the bow casting a jig. On the backcast, the jig caught on a trash bag that was stored there. When I cast forward, the rod loaded up. At precisely the wrong moment, the jig released from the bag and my rig was catapulted out of my hands into the sea. People mistook my wince for a smile.

Reactions: larry dickson

Uglybones

Take a step to the left.
Jul 13, 2008
Lakeside
Name
Ian
Boat
the big one with 30 other people
Reminds me of a trip a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away.
1991 new years trip. 16 day on the Royal Polaris, at the lunker hole, San Benidicto island. Observed one of the passengers casting out a big scad mackerel, and watched a penn 50 wide 2 speed and yo's wrapped roller rod sabre 6455xxh? All slip out of his hands and over the side ( slimy hands?). WOW! He did not say a word, or fuss. Nonchalantly walked over to the rack, grabbed another rod and reel ( like the one that went over) picked up the biggest long dead big mackerel off the deck. Drop it in up at the bow, and by the time he had followed it to the stern he was hooked up to big moe. A little while later in through the door comes a 322! AMAZING
Made my 227 look like a runt!
Ahhh the 90’s when everything was better

Tar Pit

Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
Twice I've seen a rod go overboard and the rod got tangled up in somebody's line and they got the rod back.

eric harner

Caliente Tuna
Oct 7, 2009
Phoenix Hellazona
Name
Azlandlocked
Boat
RRII, PV, the Big X
Saw a guy on the RRII 3 years ago have a new 700xh / HXR go right over the side when he was fly lining a bait he somehow let the rig slip out of his hands. He was bummed to say the least..

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
Not saltwater but something similar happened to my dad at Convict Lake. I was like 13 or 14 at the time and my buddy had just got a new setup for his birthday. We used to soak bait along one of the banks and would have 20+ rods amongst the four families we always did this trip with. We would build very reliable (wink wink) rod holders out of available rock, and suffice to say my buddy didn't take the time to reinforce his. Not five minutes later, he gets picked up by a big one and we all watch the brand new rod/reel go sailing into the lake. He's an absolute mess.

Few minutes later my dad's rod gets picked up and he yells for a net. He had caught a stocker that somehow got wrapped up in another line, and ended up netting two fish. He starts pulling on the other line and sure as shit, my buddy's set up comes up. That 'bow went 4+ pounds if I recall. Still the craziest thing I've seen, and I can still see the confused look on my dads face netting two fish.

Reactions: JamesTaylor

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Ouch!
Had a guy on the Sea Hawk next to me years ago drop his rig overboard out off Miguel rock fishing.
I was coming up and felt a thump on my ganion rig.
I shit you not, I snagged the guys rig on the tip top guide with the last hook on my ganion.
Beers on him the rest of the day.

Reactions: larry dickson