El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
flying the the fish for nada thus far. 6 hours in.

Plenty of boats out here.

Hoping for a night bite

AE125550-296E-453E-90E2-1DC4F7B4E59B.jpeg 5B9DC889-D6D5-4D87-A5D4-F2C2D2FBBB57.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
at least the weather looks nice! Stick with it..........you are in the right place with the right bait! :D

Upvote 0

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
Nov 7, 2005
La Costa
Name
Chuck G
Boat
8' sabot #69
If that is where you are flying the kite it looks too close to me. Especially on that tack and wind speed.

Reactions: Caseydmaze
Upvote 0

El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
Well....here’s the report.

Ran from nb to 9 fathom area. Had no helium so we had to run the kite, which was difficult with such little wind at times. We got up the dead flyer and it looked like it was doing well...then wind would shift and we would scramble to get it back up and flying correctly (not my favorite kind of fishing....prob because I suck at it.)

Water was 68-71ish and an off color.

Truth be told.....we didn’t see a single foamer, boil, jumper, puddler, breezer.....nada. We did not see anyone hooked up or hanging fish of any kind.

It was so frustrating today, that I decided to circle the island....just to see if we were missing out on something. We definitely were not missing out on anything (that I could see.).

In total I did about 175 miles today. We did stop on a few kelps for nada. A few kelps looked like hotels....massive fishy looking kelps.

The crossing over was not too bad. Coming home was another story.

I’m in a 21 foot Parker, and coming home to nb was definitely sporty. We took it on the beam for a while until we passed Catalina. The weather looked manageable until we decided to head home.

All in all....still good to be on the water, still had a good time.

No idea where the bft went....but we def did not see them at clemente (maybe others saw them, not us.)

Keep your eyes on the weather, especially similar size boats!

Good luck if you’re heading out!

Upvote 0

imrfishing

Jul 22, 2009
Orange county
Name
Tom
Boat
Defiance admiral 220
Well damn. My plan was to hit it in.... 6 hours. Lol. eff it, won’t know til you go. Better than the shit show down south thats about to occur in a few hours.

Upvote 0

svue

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 7, 2004
Huntington Beach
Name
Vue
Boat
Everglade 290
Oh yeah....not a friendly place in the dark especially.

We saw the fishes and they were breezing all over around 4pm didn’t hook up but my friend hooked and landed a 300 plus.

If you go in a smaller boat leave before dark. I’ve been battered a few time In Our 30’ center console.
We left at 8 and we’re still able to run a fairly fast pace that I won’t mention. But that shows that for some boat it’s pure hell even in Fairly fast condition.

Did you leave from west end of sci to east end cat, it’s a better ride, mostly downhill.

Reactions: repo805
Upvote 0

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
May 16, 2016
HereandThere
Name
JB
Boat
Unknown limits
I have been reading the seiner are bagging them up, one report says there were 6 in the area a few days ago, looking at the quota,they are just over halfway, so expect them to be there harassing them until the quota is met, maybe that is why the bite shut off??

Last edited:
Reactions: [email protected]
Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
I have been reading the seniors are bagging them up, one report says there were 6 in the area a few days ago, looking at the quota,they are just over halfway, so expect them to be there harassing them until the quota is met, maybe that is why the bite shut off??
WHAT?! Seniors are bagging and harassing all the big bluefins?!? Why the hell do old people get them all? That ain't right.

Upvote 0

El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
We left from the east end, started at the west end. We went offshore and inshore on the back side. When we left it was howling, I knew we would have a rough one getting back to nb. We waited to see if the bft would should up around dark, never did.

Oh man.....I couldn’t imagine a center console....we woulda been completely soaked.

It just took a long time to come in and thorough body bashing. Lol

I actually think we saw you guys out there!

We saw the fishes and they were breezing all over around 4pm didn’t hook up but my friend hooked and landed a 300 plus.

If you go in a smaller boat leave before dark. I’ve been battered a few time In Our 30’ center console.
We left at 8 and we’re still able to run a fairly fast pace that I won’t mention. But that shows that for some boat it’s pure hell even in Fairly fast condition.

Did you leave from west end of sci to east end cat, it’s a better ride, mostly downhill.

Upvote 0

svue

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 7, 2004
Huntington Beach
Name
Vue
Boat
Everglade 290
WHAT?! Seniors are bagging and harassing all the big bluefins?!? Why the hell do old people get them all? That ain't right.
Last week it seems like the seiners we’re wrapping the smaller bft 50-8. Whatever was put there only the big boys are still roaming around. The back side had so much bft was you couldn’t go 1 miles before seeing fish 8 days ago

Last edited:
Upvote 0