tommy tuna
Apr 11, 2018
Los Angeles
tomfowlks.com
Name
tom fowlks
Boat
Shogun
really sorry to hear about your friend. cool he passed the stoke on to you, and good on you for helping out. nice for you to hold on to some of his stuff, it will be special for you to continue using it.

thanks! and I am SO grateful for him taking the time with me only so many years ago
I'd wanted this for years, and just didn't know the right friends, the right guys.
Alberto got me on it and made sure I was straight!

I've held on to 3 Pro Gears (2 Albacore Specials, a 28o and a mint 540 as well as a Wahoo Special) and 2 Penns (a 30S and a 30SW - both Blue Printed by Cal Sheets)
as well as several rods (Classic Calstars and a few Seekers)
not to mention a large cache of tackle and lures

he'll be with me on every trip going forward

tom fowlks

tommy tuna
Apr 11, 2018
Los Angeles
tomfowlks.com
Name
tom fowlks
Boat
Shogun
Your pictures are very good and do justice to the reels. Prayers for your friend and his family

thanks Dan!
it's sort of a topical exercise in what I do for a living - editorial photographer
making decent product shots is 2nd nature for me
bit of effort, but worth it to get a good sale to the right person
and . . . Alberto deserves that

I've been enjoying your posts for some time on here, so thank you for taking the time to notice mine.

tom fowlks

tommy tuna
Apr 11, 2018
Los Angeles
tomfowlks.com
Name
tom fowlks
Boat
Shogun
I'm truly moved with all the replies!
Alberto was a lifer.
fished in the Bay up in SF when he was a kid with his dad
all thru college when he was at SDSU in the 90's
likely 2-3x a year on short trips when he was working in LA as a gaffer thru the late 90's and 2000's . . .
one day we were in the car to go to a memorial for a friends dad out in Phoenix (my car) and he diverted me to SD to get a reel worked on by some guy named Larry
"that's not on the way to Phoenix!" I cried
"it is if we take the 8 to Yuma and cut up" he told me

well, a few minutes later I was in this guy Larry's living room staring at dozen's of vices, tools, parted out brass colored reels and so many newspaper clippings of GIANT tuna that I was just slack jawed
I asked if I could take a few photos and let them work their deal

from that point on, for the entire drive out to Phoenix and even the drive home, I never stopped asking questions about this thing called Long Range Fishing and expressed my need to go!

"well, I've got a 5 day coming up on this boat the Shogun, but let's get you on an overnighter and see if you even like it" he told me

I assured him that years up in the Bering Sea as an observer out of university had conditioned me, I would have no trouble with the seas
I wanted this . . . BAD!!

OK Tommy . . . sign up.

and I did.

that was the prelude to the first 5 day trip on the Shogun in 2015 for me (Aaron was the Captain).
I had a blast.
caught more fish than he did
made the mistake of mentioning that to him
he assured me that would not happen again
it didn't
but we went on to have 2 more fantastic trips!!
one to Guadalupe (see avatar - my 2nd trip)
and another on the AA with limits of YT!! and a 2nd place jackpot for me.

I'm obsessed with this pursuit
and I have him to credit for it

without further ado . . . here he is, from those glory days
DSC02661.jpg

DSC02653.jpg
DSC02656.jpg
DSC02657.jpg
DSC02658.jpg
DSC02660.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_5160.JPG