Assist Hooks for Flat Fall BFT Rigging & Proper Size Replacement Treble for Colt Snipers?

Cole418

Almost A Member
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 - "Reel Busy"
    Hey guys - did a quick look at the archives to get some prelim info but can ya help me out with what SIZE Owner ST-66 trebles I should get to replace the stock colt sniper hooks? Typically fishing 80gram size...

Also, sounds like I need to upgrade my flat fall and SK jig hooks for these bigger BFT... can ya give some guidance on what I need to buy for that?

Thanks a bunch!
    Cole

nate

Oct 9, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Nate
    Boat
    gone
    I use 2/0 ST-66 for colt snipers around 80-100 grams.

When replacing assist hooks on the SK’s or Flat Falls I use either Owner Monster or Mustad (Heavy Duty) hooks.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Cubeye and Cole418
    Upvote 0

mackereljoe

Apr 1, 2007
    Long Beach
    Name
    Joey
    Boat
    None
    2/0 but thinking of using 5/0 for those bft at the surface that seems to laughing at me.

80428C3B-4707-488E-8FDA-AC53583DB344.jpeg

Upvote 0

jmch75

Almost A Member
    Apr 28, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe Curly
    Boat
    None
    Good question. I too have looked into this and mostly got a myriad of answers from manufacturers to people that have caught using different size hooks:

a) match the size of the hook(s) that came from the factory.
    b) go one or two sizes UP from what came from the factory, and in some cases go up 4-6 sizes!!
    c) go one or two sizes DOWN from what came from the factory.

One of the main themes that seemed consistent is to not affect the "swimming action" whether it's made to "swim" like a surface iron, or to let it "drop" like a flat fall specifically in the case of the mega bait/colt sniper/80-100g style lures.

Of course this makes sense, but not any real evidence based conclusions that changing out to a lighter or heavier (weight) hooks will be significant enough to impede or promote this "swimming action".

So my personal conclusion is to assume the manufacturer did in fact do some rigorous R&D and testing with the factory hooks for "optimal action" in a variety of real world conditions, (maybe being overly generous), and to match the factory hook size and weight as close as possible to not be too "light for the tail" and not be too "heavy for the tail". Therefore, for the "sniper" class of lures, I also upgraded to ST66's as well, and compared to factory, they are a slight bit heavier for equivalent factory to aftermarket size, so I ended up going DOWN one size to "even" it out. So this season, I swapped my 80g to use a size 2 (not 2/0) Owner ST66 because I also changed out the split ring to Owner Ultra 5s, which are a bit heavier than the factory ring. We'll see what happens.

For the flat falls, I've mostly swapped to Owner Jobu for the traditional rigging style using the same (weight based approach) or a 12/0 L2004 Circle for the Afraser rig on my 320g. which (for me) is 100% experimental and my limited data points are from folks that have landed using this size and not had regrets.

Sorry, there's no hard black and white answer here.

Upvote 0