Mateo el Flaco

Almost A Member
Feb 27, 2019
California
Name
Mateo
Boat Name
Montauk -> Me shell
Artemis 1 is supposed to be landing Sunday 12/11 "off san diego" of course it goes without saying that we can't drive out there and watch the landing but just wondering if anybody might have any idea where in theory this might be taking place??

Jay Elder

Aug 4, 2014
Name
jayelder
Boat Name
Bar None
I'm watch the AIS as some military ships show up in San Diego offshore. Might give an indicator of location? Also look for USCG closure notices in notice to mariners for a Zone closure. I'm guessing this might be it?

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA-OFFSHORE-HAZARDOUS OPERATIONS
There will be hazardous operations conducted in the Fleet Training Area Hot (FLETA HOT) offshore Southern California on the morning of 11 December 2022. Mariners are urged to listen to VHF-FM Chan. 16 (156.8 MHz) on 11 December 2022 for a Special Marine Information Broadcast and transit the area with caution. For more details or comments contact the Coast Guard District Eleven Command Center at 510-437-3701.
Charts: 18700 18720 18740
Source: https://navcen.uscg.gov/local-notices-to-mariners?district=11+0&subdistrict=n

FLETA HOT is the smaller purple box southwest of San Diego. CalCOFI sta 93.3 40.0 falls inside the FLETA HOT area. Seven CalCOFI stations:

Just saying......

Screenshot_20221206_103203_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat Name
arima - the SLIDER
Good thing it's not summer. The clueless fisherman would be a problem around that area.

:rofl:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Anonymous
Boat Name
None
There is a whole bunch of military and Search and Rescue crafts (SAR) in the area. There is a bunch of SAR ships and aircrafts in the area probably doing practice runs. My bet is that its going to be southwest or southeast of San Clemente Island as lowprofile mentioned. Its somewhere close enough to big battleships and other military crafts. With Clemente close enough, you know its well protected. Its probably to keep the damn Chinese submarines away.

Red boxes are the likely areas due to heavy warships in the area. Red are the warships. White is an aerial target launch ship used to simulate missile launches. It probably launched a simulated craft somewhere in the area and the SAR ships are doing test runs to determine if they can find the targets. Most of the searching is done with helicopters along with the SAR ships. They are probably doing the tests north of San Clemente to stay out of the way of the battleships protecting the areas. No need to put test targets in the air when everyone is on a hairy edge. You know submarines are down below like flies on a turd.

They probably want to land it somewhere with a lot of military presence nearby but not too close to the islands where the spacecraft could hit the islands. They definitely want it far enough from land to keep the googan boats from getting too close. There is not a lot of precise control over where it lands once its starts to descend into the atmosphere.

1670361056716.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jay Elder

Aug 4, 2014
Name
jayelder
Boat Name
Bar None
NASA's Artemis 1 mission is on track for its December 11 splashdown after the uncrewed Orion spacecraft completed a second powered flyby of the Moon today that brought it within 79 miles (127 km) of the lunar surface at 11:42 am EST (8:42 am San Diego CA time).

Might see entry from a high coastal bluff, pending visability?

Just saying....

Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Anonymous
Boat Name
None
It has become a lot clearer the approximate location of the landing area due to the concentration of warships in the last day. Its a cluster fuck of warships in this area.

1) The red circles are warships.
2) The blue boxes are resupply ships running back and forth to San Diego to San Clemente Island.
3) Yellow is the USNS Henry J Kaiser which is a naval fleet replenishment oiler ship
4) White circles are the SAR and SL-120
5) Green box is the likely landing area

1670475351729.png

The SAR and SL-120 (Swiss Ladder 120) ships have been doing practice search and recovery away from the cluster fuck of warships. Its not clear what SL-120's role, but based on public photos, it looks likely to be a staging point for armed response if needed to protect the SAR group.

110721-M-0000H-000.jpg

US doesn't fuck around when it comes down to hunting commie submarines or ships in our backyard. I'm sure there are many other ships without AIS and helicopters doing searches in the area. Or... Maybe they heard there was mahi mahi in the area.

It would be interesting if one of you take your boat into the area flying the Chinese or Russian flag and a satellite dish mounted on your T-top. If they stop and ask you what you were doing there, just tell them you were trolling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Double O

Jan 18, 2007
glendale
Name
mike
Boat Name
17ft bayrunner
Artemis 1 is supposed to be landing Sunday 12/11 "off san diego" of course it goes without saying that we can't drive out there and watch the landing but just wondering if anybody might have any idea where in theory this might be taking place??

Didnt we put a man on the moon 50 tears ago? To me this seems like a total waste of billions of dollars, this mission to map the moon so we can send another manned mission to the moon?, [something we already did] come on man,

Upvote 0

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat Name
none
Didnt we put a man on the moon 50 tears ago? To me this seems like a total waste of billions of dollars, this mission to map the moon so we can send another manned mission to the moon?, [something we already did] come on man,
Waste of time and money if you ask me...and they want to colonize the moon? seriously??... We've already fucked this planet up. That ones' next. Leave it to the humans species...

Reactions: bob_marlin
Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Anonymous
Boat Name
None
Per the news reports, USS Portland was used to transport the Artemis capsule back. Looking at the warship tracks, it seems like it matches Warship 25. The outline and shape of the ship is very distinct. There may be other ships with similar layouts, but it seems most likely to be Warship 25 given it was down near the Guadalupe Island area and just returned back to port in San Diego.

1670805893852.png

USS Portland:
180421-A-LM216-693.JPG

Warship 25:
1670805511542.png

Upvote 0