Arizona Javelina

Discussion in 'Mammal Hunting Reports' started by invictus, Feb 24, 2017.

1. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    After a few years of trying to hunt with a group of friends, I finally made the cut. You all know the group, been hunting together for decades, usually two to three generations, everyone helps out, no one complains and tags get filled.

Went out this AM and was greeted by 17 degree air temps. Sun took its time rising, and finally started to warm up the valley.

[​IMG]

I didn't have anything move so I decided to push over one ridge to an eastern slope that was getting full light. I got very stealthy as I neared the crest and was rewarded with a pack at 60 yards, had no idea I was even there.

[​IMG]

Took a few more ridges with the boys then
    went to lunch at Kirklands for an ice cold and a house ground Angus burger, and an added history lesson. Place is over a hundred years old and like much of this territory, has seen its share of the lawless, booms, busts, hookers and homesteaders.

Be back out tomorrow as we have a few tags left to fill and it's a team sport in this camp!

[​IMG]

DAY 2:

On the second day we slept another hour. Got set up on a big ledge with an exceptional view of some east facing slopes. We staggered along the ridge and got acquainted with the area.

Sun started moving to mid-morning and we got the word a pair was moving down into the draw. Hustling over there to fill two tags on one pass, we heard the shot, which was the agreement from hour one.

Doesn't matter, sooner or later, it happens. Even after 30 years of hunting, fair chase, endless range days and a 162 yard downhill shot off sticks. This one got hit back and staggered off, into, literally, a cave. If you look at the one on the left, we were pretty sure our friend was in there.

[​IMG]

We had a plan where I was watching the back door. After looking around I could tell by the sound of the boys voices, they were having doubts, and I never saw it head to this boulder pile, so I wasn't 100%.

And then, you hear the tone change see a grown man jump backwards with a level gun and give you the three expletive sentence you needed for confirmation. A short dash to an area where a safe coup de' gras could be issued, and tag two was filled.

Turns out that wasn't just some little shade spot. That was a ten foot deep home about two feet high with a dog leg left.

[​IMG]

Took a few walk and stands even though it was mid day and we suspected not much was moving. Saw a few things you cannot see from the couch to round out the day.

[​IMG]

Off to Kirklands for a cool down and into town tonight, one tag left fellas, have four more days to close the deal on the last tag.

[​IMG]

And dinner, Ribeyes all the way around.

[​IMG]

And a night cap.

[​IMG]

DAY 3:

A bit overcast and a cold front coming in, possibility of showers. Probably have a little snow up higher. Currently we have another one down and a hot trail on a second one. Turning into one heck of a trip.

[​IMG]

Another tag filled baby!

[​IMG]

Last update then home two days early! Four tags, four Javelina. Lucky, thank God for an outstanding hunt and great company.

[​IMG]

Here's your sign, this area had plenty.

[​IMG]

The terrain in the spot we hunted had lots of big rock piles, elevation and was enormous. Never saw a single other hunter in the area. Good boots a must. Never been sheep hunting but thinking this is a good primer for terrain. Lots of Cats Claw and Scrub Oak, not to mention all the Cacti. Kuiu pants and outer jacket knocked down the spikes and spines and ate the Cactus pretty good. I am impressed.

[​IMG]

One last round at Kirklands and back to house for a California Spiny surf & turf.

[​IMG]

Oh, had to do the skinning in the backyard!

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading boys, see you at Fred Hall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    RockyGizmo, tap, Blackfish and 2 others like this.
  2. MJB

MJB I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    Congrats!

3. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Good job on the stink pig.

4. Highwayman

Highwayman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    Arizona is awesome this time of year. Congratulations on your trip and becoming a member of a crew. Makes for a great time and great memories. I haven't had barbecue javelina in a very long time....

5. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    Thanks fellas, day two in the books and a few left for that one tag!

6. baboltin

baboltin Member

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    n/a
    Sounds like a good time, I have always thought it would be so much fun to get a group of guys to go javelina hunting.

7. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    Some takeaways and lessons learned on this hunt.

#1, we all know it, but the boys make the hunt, there is no substitute for a selfless group.

#2, Havalon knives are your best option. I started out using my trusted hunting knife and was dull and messing around until I borrowed Matty's Havalon Baracuta. They just work better.

#3, I relied on old clothes for years and finally bought some great gear. I wasn't wet, it let me move and layers were thin, warm and let me adjust as they days went on.

#4, I love my Merell Moabs, but this place required better boots, I would have been more confident and comfortable in a solid ankle support boot.

#5, glass with a stick. Less fatigue using binos, on the arms, shoulders and eyes. Binos on a stick were easier on the eyes and plenty stable.

#6, double check if the gate is really locked or just wrapped up. This can save you a half mile of humping out your prize. Of course, always respect private land and the rules/laws, find it open, leave it open, closed, leave it closed to ensure that access for years to come.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  8. matt86m

matt86m Not worthy of a Title

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Was a great hunt Jason, welcome addition to 'the group'

Most everyone we ran/run into say they don't eat the stink pig but we like them. BBQ'd tastes like pork. Mine was on the small side so I decided to get all Chorizo sausage.

4 for 4 in an area that has a 33% success rate was a blessing, not from a lack of putting foot to ground and covering a lot of area but still feel lucky we all tagged out.

Great write up Jason!

Always double check the gate - Haha

invictus likes this.
  9. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    That looks like a great adventure. Jealous

""Turns out that wasn't just some little shade spot. That was a ten foot deep home about two feet high with a dog leg left.""" LOL LOL

"

invictus likes this.
  10. Arima-bob

Arima-bob Ship faced aquaholic

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    I'm jelly!! Looks like a damn good time. Great write up and pics to boot.

11. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Big country out there
    Matts iPhone 5 041.JPG

1Javalina packed and ready to go

Matts iPhone 5 050.JPG

Dinner was damn good!

Matts iPhone 5 058.JPG

12. Yakhunter

Yakhunter Newbie

Name:
    B-
    Boat:
    Looking
    Great report.

13. dragonballs

dragonballs I'm off probation

Name:
    Vance
    Boat:
    40' ocean sport fisher
    nice report looks like it paid off. Never done this but heard its a blast.

14. BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR Member

Name:
    Ed F
    Boat:
    Friend of boat owners
    Nice work.... I'm pretty sure these 4 skulls are in my bug box right now. Congrats. Ed F

15. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    Ed,

Pretty sure your right! Thanks for the work and we cannot wait to see the finished product.

You guys have a beautiful city and area.

16. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Too bad you were out of town Ed, my euro deer mount looks good, can't wait to see the skulls!

17. BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR Member

Name:
    Ed F
    Boat:
    Friend of boat owners
    I'm more bummed about missing the Kirkland Saloon ribeyes than the javalina hunt. That's a special place. Gotta hit the Barn Star Brewery... great place in the middlle of nowhere. I'll catch you guys next year for sure. Congrats again. Ed F

18. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Can't vouch for the Kirkland ribeye but the cheeseburger is tops! I may be coming back to get it all when its done so maybe we can hit Kirkland for a steak.

19. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    Like Minnie's. Would have loved to try the steaks on the Mesquite pit Matty & Ed.

20. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Knot Yet
    Here's a Javi I finished up yesterday. Turned out well. @pure_bones

IMG_20170304_081544_288.jpg