I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2016
San Fernando Valley
Name
Beto
Boat
16' Klamath CC
Hi, looking for my first boat.

Hull must be newer than 2000 with a fuel injected 4 stroke.

Preference to boats in California but would consider one from out of state.

Humberto Salinas

Aug 14, 2016
San Fernando Valley
Name
Beto
Boat
16' Klamath CC
Why newer than 2000?

Just thinking it should be less of a project. I am very handy and can work on it but I live in apartment and will store it offsite so it wouldn't be ideal.

I know it also depends on the owner too. A 1985 can be in better condition than a 2000 depending on who owned it.

Also, I want the starboard panels from 96? and newer ones. I would be able to make the starboard panels myself but it would be hard without a garage or workspace.

Last edited:

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I can understand that, particularly on the starboard. Don’t pass on an older boat though, I’ve never seen a bad one with the exception of dirty and neglect.

I will add, and this is just my opinion, but when the wood is kept in good shape or redone right, they look goooood!

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Brookings, Southern Oregon
Name
Chris Berlin
Boat
21 Arima Ranger
Arima improved the chine design in the 90's. Cant remember when. Get one in 2000's - starboard and better wiring. Can replace and mod starboard real easy but not that plywood panelling. Cant match it.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Arima improved the chine design in the 90's. Cant remember when. Get one in 2000's - starboard and better wiring. Can replace and mod starboard real easy but not that plywood panelling. Cant match it.
1991 was the year they changed the chines. That original wood grain can’t be copied, but the right stain on good marine grade ply looks pretty good.

The better wiring could be debated. A good friend of mine has a 2015 (I think) and completely rewired it to his liking

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Name
Chris Berlin
Boat
21 Arima Ranger
1991 was the year they changed the chines. That original wood grain can’t be copied, but the right stain on good marine grade ply looks pretty good.

The better wiring could be debated. A good friend of mine has a 2015 (I think) and completely rewired it to his liking
I wouldnt consider the defiance marine built arimas comparable to the original ones built by Mr Arima. I havent seen alot of small boat manus who used marine wire back in the 80's.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I wouldnt consider the defiance marine built arimas comparable to the original ones built by Mr Arima. I havent seen alot of small boat manus who used marine wire back in the 80's.
The defiance Arimas aren’t much different than the originals. Defiance hired all the original workers to keep building the line. I know they made some material changes so none of the Defiance Arimas have any wood at all.

As for the wiring, It’s my understanding that the dealers do the electrical, not the factory. I could be wrong, it’s just what I’ve heard.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
LJ, I hate to break your heart.... the floors, gunwhales, and transom are wood under the glass. I wouldn’t worry about it though. They’re built like tanks

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
LJ, I hate to break your heart.... the floors, gunwhales, and transom are wood under the glass. I wouldn’t worry about it though. They’re built like tanks
Duh. You don't think I've drilled a hole or two?

No wood veneers to maintain. I can squirt the out the deck without worrying about wood rot.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Duh. You don't think I've drilled a hole or two?

No wood veneers to maintain. I can squirt the out the deck without worrying about wood rot.
:frehya2:
But true. That said, the wood used even in the exterior was marine grade ply. Mine looks like hell, but no rot.

Reactions: the SLIDER

Humberto Salinas

Aug 14, 2016
San Fernando Valley
Name
Beto
Boat
16' Klamath CC
Yeah not trying to be wood free.

The wood finish does look good when done right I just can't work on it myself due to space issues.

Now let's see if I could find something....

Sep 3, 2019
Fullerton
Name
Nikita
Boat
Palomar 10'
If I come across anything, I’ll certainly put it in your wheelhouse
I got a 1991 sea chaser, which was a total fixer from Washington a few months ago. I've redone the wood in starboard, if you get an older one and want it done hit me up, I'm in OC. Took me 2 days so its a relatively fast job, I think it looks way nicer than the wood.

20200528_165910.jpg

20200518_144019.jpg

20200617_183255.jpg

20200520_141918.jpg

Last edited:

Humberto Salinas

Aug 14, 2016
San Fernando Valley
Name
Beto
Boat
16' Klamath CC

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Name
Chris Berlin
Boat
21 Arima Ranger
The new era or arimas dont have the thickness to the gelcoat and lots of other things that add up to cost cutting. plus there are rumors of chopper gun use in new defiance/arima. hardware is chinese and rusts. cheapest rub rail can buy etc. they just building boats like most everyone else is forced to do nowadays.

Wiring is done at factory for pumps n lights n wipers. Most of my factory wiring was laid in the hull before the deck cap put on so I cant replace it or re-route it.

Might have the same guys building but they have a diff boss and have to do it the new boss way.

The new ones are still good boats and I wouldnt turn one down but not built to the quality of the older ones.

Humberto Salinas

Aug 14, 2016
San Fernando Valley
Name
Beto
Boat
16' Klamath CC
The new era or arimas dont have the thickness to the gelcoat and lots of other things that add up to cost cutting. plus there are rumors of chopper gun use in new defiance/arima. hardware is chinese and rusts. cheapest rub rail can buy etc. they just building boats like most everyone else is forced to do nowadays.

Wiring is done at factory for pumps n lights n wipers. Most of my factory wiring was laid in the hull before the deck cap put on so I cant replace it or re-route it.

Might have the same guys building but they have a diff boss and have to do it the new boss way.

The new ones are still good boats and I wouldnt turn one down but not built to the quality of the older ones.
Interesting. I guess it's not too bad that I can't buy a new one lol

ja73

Sep 1, 2017
SGV
Name
Jay
Boat
Arima SC16
I think I’ve talked to you on the AO forum, but just in case, also check out the 16’s, biggest little boat you could step foot on. If you have a carport it will probably fit nicely.
Here’s my 96’ Sea Chaser 16 hooked up to my F150

Humberto Salinas

Aug 14, 2016
San Fernando Valley
Name
Beto
Boat
16' Klamath CC
I think I’ve talked to you on the AO forum, but just in case, also check out the 16’s, biggest little boat you could step foot on. If you have a carport it will probably fit nicely.
Here’s my 96’ Sea Chaser 16 hooked up to my F150
Yeah I am everywhere looking for one. Lol

Nice. The 16 looks big too for its size hooked up to the truck