c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Last saturday I took my newly completed rudius 1911 to the indoor range.This is my second 1911 build.The first build was a stealth arms aluminum frame,came out bitchen.
The rudius build came out tits.The first couple hundred rounds or so I was stoked, it was shooting slightly tighter than the aluminum stealth arms 80 build and it felt better in my hands also.
I shot somewhere between 3 and 4 hundred rounds before it failed.I slapped a fresh mag in and hit the slide release with my thumb and BOOM a round goes up 45 degrees towards the ceiling...WTF?I made the mistake of racking the slide and BOOM another round 45 degrees down range toward the ground.

Long story short and a little trouble shooting it turns out the sear spring had slipped off to the left and off the sear.
The slot the sear spring sits in is slightly loose couple with the fact that there is room for the sear spring to move to the left and off the sear.On most 1911 the sear spring is up against the left wall of the grip area.Im still waiting for a reply from ares armor as to whether they have encountered this problem before...its only been one day so far.In my opinion this is a major design flaw and a major major liability issue.The inside face of the grip actually flares out at the top of the main spring housing.If had stayed parallel with housing it would be fine.

FIX:I took some JB weld and built it up on the left side of the grip.The next day I filed it down so as to acted as a keeper for the sear spring.This frame is not a polymer but a nylon based frame.im not sure how well the JB weld has bonded but it seems to have stuck pretty well.Well have to test fire a couple hundred to a thousand rounds and check it.

The 1st pic is sear spring in place.2nd pic shows slipped off to the left.The spring contact on the sear is already very minimal.

1911 sear spring on.jpg 1911 sear spring slipped.jpg 1911 jb weld.jpg 1911 jb filed shaped.jpg 1911 fix with s.s inplace.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: m_mcgourty
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
Here is a pic of the gun.Frame will be painted black when 100 %finished.

rudius before paint.jpg

Reactions: m_mcgourty
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
Have you contacted Ares?
I got a reply on tuesday asking what parts I used but thats irrelevant.I put another sear spring in and it will slip off also.
In my reply I sent them these same pics.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Damn, that's fucked up.

Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
Oh man! I've been looking at those for a while, even stopped by their shop on my way down to see a customer. You got me worried about it now! Need to get my builds in before the Obama ban/register/crap. I guess I'll be building an AR pistol first instead!!!!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
rudiusfinished.jpg
rudius  finished.jpg
Is that the Gen 1 or Gen 2 grip? I'm in the process of putting my rudius 1911 together so I might as well do what you did with the JB weld to be safe.
Is that the Gen 1 or Gen 2 grip? I'm in the process of putting my rudius 1911 together so I might as well do what you did with the JB weld to be safe.

I couldnt tell you.What are the differences between them.I got the frame and grip about 6 months ago.I assume its gen 2.Does your sear spring have the ability to move side to side in your grip?
Make sure to scuff up area where jb weld is going to be real good.Ive shot about 150 rounds since modifying...so far so good.I actually have a heightened sense of safety when handling firearms now.
Heres pics of finished gun.

Upvote 0