I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat
nwj 218 lightning
Primary reason to edit what you tell the fish checkers. I think i have only caught whatever fish are in the fish box, never had to release anything.

Reactions: Bellboy17

blackmouther

10%er during Salmon Season
Jun 29, 2009
Mount Vernon Washington
Name
Fowlmotuher
Boat
Shopping
Better hope we make it thru to the anacortes derby. Bet it will close April 1st. Just saying

Smalma

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 27, 2012
Marysville, Washington
Name
Curt
Boat
My office
The sport fish advisors were in full support of this action which was taken to assure that the fishing would carry through the Anacortes derby and hopefully the full season as in the pamphlet - just saying

Reactions: Hunter Dan

kenzmad

Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat
nwj 218 lightning
I said edit, not lie. Do you tell them of every shaker you release? I think we have been down this road before.

DJFISHS2XS

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 26, 2012
Oak Harbor Wa
Name
DJ Stevenson
Boat
Little blue lund
BTW,it is unlawful to lie to a fish checker and to suggest that a person should lie puts you in the same catagorie as someone who doesn't crimp thier barbs
not sure i would go that far...but there is that dude you see telling the fish checker all his fish had to many fins just so he dont look like he blanked

I dont like it, I think there is more fish this year nothing to do with the nice weather and the amount we are fishing, I have also noticed most of the fish are clipped, of the 30 odd fish my clan has caught less then a hand full had fins (but I have to say I reall dont pay attention to shakers that I know Im going to release) my question is with the abundence of clipped fish and Im guessing most are from the samish and it never has a problem with getting enough returners why shut it down, infact advertise it so it looks like the WDFG and the hatcheries are doing a good job

Fish_kid

The Right Angler
Aug 23, 2010
Kirkland/WA
Name
Tom
Boat
Parker 2120 "F-14"
Just so folks know the data... all categories were higher than planned... people are just running in to more fish in A7 than planned... legal, sub-legal, marked and unmarked

Floatflyer

Hope to Catch a Fish!
Apr 8, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
Name
Floatflyer
Boat
24' Bayliner, Ni Modo
Wild Bill: Thanks for the grim news but for me, no problem since I did not catch anything but dog fish last summer! THIS summer was/is going to be different!!!!

Reactions: Calis

Nookie Hooker

Aquatic Slayer
Jul 10, 2010
Custer, Wa
Name
Chris
Boat
Capt. Red
If the State wants accurate information from me, they better replace the poor excuse for a human being that trolls Bellingham's launch. I came in once, after picking up 2 nice fish during a time when fishing was pretty poor. Gave a report to chubby, and within a day seen a report posted on this forum, that "so-and-so said the fish checker told him that 2 nice fish had been caught at (XYZ) spot yesterday". After this, strangely enough, I don't give the dude the time of day. The next time mister waste of skin and hair approached me, I was prepping to pull my boat out to keep the launch clear. Did I catch any fish? Yep. Can I look at them? Yep, they are in the ice chest on the swim step. Can you hand them to me? Nope, you want to look at them, climb your fat ass in the boat.

He fought me tooth and nail, using the excuse that he had broken another fisherman's down rigger one time. Well, too freaking bad, if you want to see my fish, you better climb on because I am pulling the boat out, NOW!

I am willing to cooperate with the checkers, but only if they act as a public servant should. I pay their damn wages. I treat the ones who earn it with respect, and the Toads, not so much.

blackmouther

10%er during Salmon Season
Jun 29, 2009
Mount Vernon Washington
Name
Fowlmotuher
Boat
Shopping
The sport fish advisors were in full support of this action which was taken to assure that the fishing would carry through the Anacortes derby and hopefully the full season as in the pamphlet - just saying
At 94% of it's allotment it would surprise me if 1500 anglers fishing said Anacortes Derby didn't come into contact with at least 10% of whats already been accounted for. And DJ, I believe that alot of the fish you are catching are Columbia river springers. Bonneville Dam already is posting that chinook are being counted. Many of these fish are coming down the inside passage and out thru the strait. Sure there is a few samish fish mixed in but I haven't eaten a shitty tasting blackmouth this year so I don't think we have caught one. Oh and JUST SAYING

whido isle

capt
Oct 6, 2010
coupeville,wa u.s.a
Name
jay
Boat
25' amf SS245 o/s (bart's legacy)
I believe that alot of the fish you are catching are Columbia river springers.
most the fish taken during the derby have been skagit or u.s & candian rivers to the north acording to the data fr the bio's spreed sheet they have @ the derby. never seen anything on any of the fish being fr the CR. so if you have a different source plz share

digits

Sportsman
Apr 4, 2011
Everett, WA
Name
Joe
Boat
Voodoo Child
This really fukin blows, especially for the ANA Derby. WDFW reduced limit to 1 last year as well, although this year is way earlier.

I know it's a point of contention around here if MA7 BD reports are truly having an effect on the fishery, but considering 10 out of the 20 posts currently on the 1st page of the WA saltwater reports forum is about MA7 (and that's generally what the ratio on the board seems to look like), I personally think it does have an impact on the fishery, it's getting too much exposure, and it's the main reason I stopped posting MA7 reports on the forum.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that we do no want MA7 turning into another Possession Bar, where it's combat-fishing, nor does the fishery have the geographical capacities/logistics to hold that many boats. There is also the risk that too much exposure and pressure on the fishery will give NOAA just the right amount of ammunition to shut down the Westside entirely, as they've been trying to do for years.

"Loose lips sink ships."

Salmon Addict

Feb 5, 2011
Area 7 San Juans
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Alumaweld Blackhawk
most the fish taken during the derby have been skagit or u.s & candian rivers to the north acording to the data fr the bio's spreed sheet they have @ the derby. never seen anything on any of the fish being fr the CR. so if you have a different source plz share
I thought the Canadians only clipped like 1% of their hatchery chinook? If they tag the nose then they will clip it. So that statement about Canadian fish being taken does not make cents to me since we are catching only clipped chinook the Anacortes derby

J.C.

Run what ya Brung
May 20, 2012
Wa
Name
Justin
Boat
18' aluminum
This really fukin blows, especially for the ANA Derby. WDFW reduced limit to 1 last year as well, although this year is way earlier.

I know it's a point of contention around here if MA7 BD reports are truly having an effect on the fishery, but considering 10 out of the 20 posts currently on the 1st page of the WA saltwater reports forum is about MA7 (and that's generally what the ratio on the board seems to look like), I personally think it does have an impact on the fishery, it's getting too much exposure, and it's the main reason I stopped posting MA7 reports on the forum.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that we do no want MA7 turning into another Possession Bar, where it's combat-fishing, nor does the fishery have the geographical capacities/logistics to hold that many boats. There is also the risk that too much exposure and pressure on the fishery will give NOAA just the right amount of ammunition to shut down the Westside entirely, as they've been trying to do for years.

"Loose lips sink ships."
Nailed it!!! Well said, you didn't come across like an asshole at all. Not easy to do when your telling people to quit running their mouths about the islands. LOL

J.C.

Run what ya Brung
May 20, 2012
Wa
Name
Justin
Boat
18' aluminum
I suppose the exceptionally nice weather we had this winter didn't help the situation. I know a lot of us would have been up in the mountains if we would have had any snow in the early season. We didn't so everybody went fishing. Oh well maybe nasty rumors are the way to go. :D

I heard the radiation from fukashima is hitting the islands hard and the weirdos on Waldron have mobilized pirate ships and are looking for aluminum pilothouse boats and gradys. LOL

I also heard if you get too close to the shores of orcas homos can cast a spell on you, next thing you know you wake up in the morning in a yurt with a sticky chin and a sore butt. :eyepoppin :hali_parkutuli: :profile:

Thrasher_1

Jun 2, 2009
Water
Name
Curmudgeon
Boat
Water Weiner
I think it's fucking hilarious, yet I am thankful, when the same people that sent me hate pms for me suggesting that they keep their reports to a minimum, are the same guys that are now saying that the ma7 reports need to stop. Genius. You can send me your apology pms any time now....

USMC8541

SOB!!!
Jul 14, 2011
Blaine Wa.
Name
Frank
Boat
Skipjack 24TE
Who has fish counters for blackmouth?? I never see anyone in the winter checking these fish. Trying to figure out where they are getting there numbers from. I hit 56 fish in 5 trips but no one knows that. I know others have been doing good as well I just don't know where they are getting the counts from.

Thrasher_1

Jun 2, 2009
Water
Name
Curmudgeon
Boat
Water Weiner
Who has fish counters for blackmouth?? I never see anyone in the winter checking these fish. Trying to figure out where they are getting there numbers from. I hit 56 fish in 5 trips but no one knows that. I know others have been doing good as well I just don't know where they are getting the counts from.
I know from a reputable source, they are using info from forums as a part of their data, believe it or not. Again, your info just contributed. Fail

green1

I use green
Feb 9, 2011
secret spot
Name
top secret
Boat
reel classified
Some people just don't know how to just shut-up and fish! I don't get it??? Apparently everyone now knows that Frank can catch a fish! Nice job! Season will now close earlier because you are a genius!

Barracuda1

Master of None
Jul 7, 2011
All over this bitch!
Name
Fred
Boat
Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
I'm seriously curious who "they" are? We stopped posting reports here for some time now but surely BD postings can't be the major factor, can it? Kinda scary to think that this forum is the deciding factor to shutting down a fishery. Especially since I know a few posters tend to "embellish" their reports. I do in fact think Frank asked a valid question though. Where did the fish checkers go? Do they work this time of year? and how is this truly being determined??