critterkiller

AKA Cohobankie
Jul 18, 2012
W.Seattle
Name
Jefe'
Boat
1998 Tiderunner Pt. Defiance
Of course just when the fish enter the system. Kinda like area 10 first week of August. Lets shut it down just when the opportunity presents.

Glad my boys fishing license is free otherwise I wouldn't bother anymore. Keep seeing these sweet boats being loaded onto barges bound for AK. I guess there is a valid reason.

Think the tribes have any influence in this decision?

Upvote 0

Hunter Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
Ok, so without a permit from the feds we can not authorise any fishery or activity that has 'take' of an endangered species. For a number of years now we have not had a 4D permit that has more than a years length. Our last submittal of a multi year Chinook management plan was deemed insufficient, leaving us stuck in a year to year Section 7 permit situation. The window between the end of the NOF/PFMC season setting process and the Section 7 consultation period leaves a gap in permit coverage forcing the potential closure. The year round fishing piers get hit with this as well.
Not a A13 specific screw job, so much as the overall suckiness of beauracracy and the many many failures of the ESA.

Upvote 0

fishbadger

• Apr 6, 2012
    WA
    Name
    fishbadger
    Boat
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    Ok, so without a permit from the feds we can not authorise any fishery or activity that has 'take' of an endangered species. For a number of years now we have not had a 4D permit that has more than a years length. Our last submittal of a multi year Chinook management plan was deemed insufficient, leaving us stuck in a year to year Section 7 permit situation. The window between the end of the NOF/PFMC season setting process and the Section 7 consultation period leaves a gap in permit coverage forcing the potential closure. The year round fishing piers get hit with this as well.
    Not a A13 specific screw job, so much as the overall suckiness of beauracracy and the many many failures of the ESA.
    Thanks for the explanation, I believe this happened a few years back. Not much happening at the moment anyways, so I don't think it's a huge impact. Do you know when the gap period ends (and when the agreed upon fishery can resume)? Asking for a friend 8-),
    fb

Upvote 0

Hunter Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 30, 2011
    Stauffer
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    MUGWUMP
    Thanks for the explanation, I believe this happened a few years back. Not much happening at the moment anyways, so I don't think it's a huge impact. Do you know when the gap period ends (and when the agreed upon fishery can resume)? Asking for a friend 8-),
    fb
    Can't remember exactly off the top of my head. Going through review, public comment and formal adoption of the LOAF now. I betcha about the time everyone's halibut, ling and shrimp jones get somewhat dealt with you'll be greasing your salmon reels and pinching barbs on new lures:-)

Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
    Jul 27, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Name
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat
    255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
    Anyone know if any updates on this? Has anyone heard if “they” (Wdfw or anyone else involved) have a timeline on when this years permit will be processed?

Upvote 0

Cwillis

Sometimes you're top boat...sometimes you're not.
  • Jul 15, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Name
    Casey
    Boat
    23 Pacific
    It is extremely disappointing and no real public explanation of how/why this happened. Zero accountability.

Reactions: mrfish11
    Upvote 0

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
    Sep 7, 2011
    Kent, WA USA
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Whichever I am invited onto
    The guy on Saturday's episode of The Outdoor Line indicated it would be a "matter of days." Using my government translation filter, that translates to roughly August is my guess...

Reactions: mrfish11
    Upvote 0

Area13

That's gonna leave a mark!
    Jul 21, 2014
    Fox Island, WA
    Name
    Clint
    Boat
    Hewes
    Nothing yet. Really wanted to do ling and king tomorrow in MA13. Got a response from the wdfw a few minutes ago from an email i sent this morning, nothing new.
    Also, talked to Mark Yuasa this morning and he said they were trying to open it for this weekend if the ereg came out.

Reactions: FishPimpII
    Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
    Feb 3, 2018
    Puget sound
    Name
    Koopa
    Boat
    Arima
    Nothing yet. Really wanted to do ling and king tomorrow in MA13. Got a response from the wdfw a few minutes ago from an email i sent this morning, nothing new.
    Also, talked to Mark Yuasa this morning and he said they were trying to open it for this weekend if the ereg came out.
    You heard anything else on this? Really frustrating. We just suppose to keep refreshing the emergency rules page. :hali_parkutuli:

Upvote 0

Area13

Jul 21, 2014
    Fox Island, WA
    Name
    Clint
    Boat
    Hewes
    Fricken nothing! Keep waiting for the wdfw email. Would love to drag some gear around MA13 this weekend with this weather.

Upvote 0

Fish_on!

• Feb 17, 2015
    Oly
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    18' Super Vee
    Fricken nothing! Keep waiting for the wdfw email. Would love to drag some gear around MA13 this weekend with this weather.

You could always do some catch and release dog fishing. Not your fault if a salmon hits your dogfish gear.

Reactions: Area13
    Upvote 0

Cwillis

• Jul 15, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Name
    Casey
    Boat
    23 Pacific
    I got this email this am which was very illuminating:

Hi Casey,

Marine area 13 is temporarily closed to salmon fishing. Salmon fisheries in Marine Area 13 will re-open when ESA authorization is received for the proposed 2021-22 Puget Sound salmon fishing package. This process is usually quick but we do not have an exact date on when the season will reopen. Keep an eye on the WDFW emergency rule change page for updates.

Thank you,

Reactions: Area13
    Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
    Jul 27, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Name
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat
    255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
    I got this email this am which was very illuminating:

Hi Casey,

Marine area 13 is temporarily closed to salmon fishing. Salmon fisheries in Marine Area 13 will re-open when ESA authorization is received for the proposed 2021-22 Puget Sound salmon fishing package. This process is usually quick but we do not have an exact date on when the season will reopen. Keep an eye on the WDFW emergency rule change page for updates.

Thank you,
    I want to see the “friendly” email you sent this time... Did you complement them for their precision time management skills or their stellar communication!?!

Upvote 0

Cwillis

• Jul 15, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Name
    Casey
    Boat
    23 Pacific
    I want to see the “friendly” email you sent this time... Did you complement them for their precision time management skills or their stellar communication!?!
    It was more friendly than the last one Jeff. Now that my kids are now on a steady diet of sugary soda, fast food and violent video games on weekends instead of fishing and I no longer need to responsibly parent my children out on a boat while teaching them about real life I am also living my best life. So it was just a casual check in with one of my favorite agencies.

Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
    Feb 3, 2018
    Puget sound
    Name
    Koopa
    Boat
    Arima
    Nope, been here 40 years. There is a springer run and the tribes net minter pretty often, but was mainly asking about ceremonial and subsistence fishing. Was curious if they are being held to the same standard.

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
    May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Nope, been here 40 years. - Was curious if they are being held to the same standard.
    I'm poking fun, so don't get offended: If you've been here 40-years, you should already know there's a double-standard.

Upvote 0

Area13

Jul 21, 2014
    Fox Island, WA
    Name
    Clint
    Boat
    Hewes
    Called wdfw today and they said it’s usually a 1-2 week approval and it’s 3 weeks now. She said they’re gonna open asap when they get fed approval.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0