Are you calling me Yellow? Punching well above our weight class at Cat Isl.

PENN

docupat

Just one of the crew!
Sep 4, 2010
OC, CA USA
Name
PL
Boat
A Classic
Had some of the family over to Catalina for a couple of days. Heard form Capt. Dave Hansen that the Island was as "hot" as it's ever been - and it was clear, from the first bait to the last baits to hit the water, he was right.

We went, targeting the three B's and were not disappointed. Every spot we hit produced fish and we caught and released hundreds of Calicos and dozens of Barracuda and Bonito. Every bait produced a bight. We also managed several yellows on the light gear.

We were using Okuma Tarvos rods (6.5' & 7' models) matched with Okuma Avenger ABF 4 and 5 size reels. All were spooled with 20# braid tied to 20# Flouro leaders. This is my go to, family and guest friendly, set up when targeting the Three B's. But you certainly feel under-gunned with this gear on the 17-25+ lb class yellows that we encountered. All the yellows were taken in afternoon bites, on sardines, using #1, Mustad bronze live bait hooks.

We got smoked a couple of times, but won more battles than we lost. All the normal spots on the front and East end were producing at least some kind of fun fish to catch. The yellows measured (fork length) from 33" to 41".

It's fishing, so nothing is guaranteed, but it's about as "can't miss" as it can be - go get you some.

Be safe,

PL

A__D37E.jpg IMG_7525.jpg IMG_7512.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Great job! What a difference a day makes...

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    Had some of the family over to Catalina for a couple of days. Heard form Capt. Dave Hansen that the Island was as "hot" as it's ever been - and it was clear, from the first bait to the last baits to hit the water, he was right.

We went, targeting the three B's and were not disappointed. Every spot we hit produced fish and we caught and released hundreds of Calicos and dozens of Barracuda and Bonito. Every bait produced a bight. We also managed several yellows on the light gear.

We were using Okuma Tarvos rods (6.5' & 7' models) matched with Okuma Avenger ABF 4 and 5 size reels. All were spooled with 20# braid tied to 20# Flouro leaders. This is my go to, family and guest friendly, set up when targeting the Three B's. But you certainly feel under-gunned with this gear on the 17-25+ lb class yellows that we encountered. All the yellows were taken in afternoon bites, on sardines, using #1, Mustad bronze live bait hooks.

We got smoked a couple of times, but won more battles than we lost. All the normal spots on the front and East end were producing at least some kind of fun fish to catch. The yellows measured (fork length) from 33" to 41".

It's fishing, so nothing is guaranteed, but it's about as "can't miss" as it can be - go get you some.

Be safe,

PL

View attachment 1046811 View attachment 1046812 View attachment 1046813 View attachment 1046814

You say Under gunned-and maybe.... but at the same time, THAT is what makes it so much fun. Getting blasted a time or two is nothing short of what we go for, as far as I am concerned anyway. Not to mention, just about the time you are not under gunned, you can't get a pick up.

Reactions: docupat
    Upvote 0

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Advertiser
    May 26, 2007
    Where ever fish need to be caught.
    Name
    Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Boat
    YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
    Glad I could help.

For any of you that don't already know, all the information to help make you successful at Catalina, and elsewhere in SoCal, is on my website www.yoursaltwaterguide.com. You never have to struggle again!

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    I have only fished with Dave 1 time, but I will say that I have paid WAY MORE to see comedy acts in Vegas that can't hold a candle to the entertainment provided when he is running your boat.

......just sayin. :D

Upvote 0

IrieMitch

Waterman
    May 18, 2010
    Newport Beach, CA
    Name
    Mitch
    Boat
    Captain of Papa's Haven (52' Cabo), Thunderbird Sportfishing
    Cool report, sounds like a really fun trip. I mainly just came to comment about how much I enjoy your creativity in your posts title!

See you out there!

Upvote 0

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Advertiser
    May 26, 2007
    Where ever fish need to be caught.
    Name
    Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Boat
    YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME