Dexter Outdoors

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
Temecula
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
If you get sea sick and Dramamine works for you...you need to buy Meclizine. This bottle of 100 is $4.19 at Costco...few bucks more at local pharmacy. These are the same dosage in low dose Dramamine. I take one every 12 hrs on a long range trip. Spend the money you save on more tackle.
Tight lines...Mike
20200923_100606.jpg

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Its the same active ingredients as Dramamine Less Drowsy or Bonine.

Dramamine Less Drowsy ingredient is: Meclizine HCI 25mg
Bonine ingredient is: Meclizine HCI 25mg

Original Dramamine that makes you sleepy ingredient is: Dimenhydrinate 50mg

Kwells is one of the best over the counter travel sickness pill with the Hyoscine Hydrobromide as the active ingredient, but its not available in the US unless you get it through EBay from Australia.

Stugeron 15 is another option using the antihistamine cinnarizine as the active ingredient. It is one of the most effective, but it will cause drowsiness. Again, its not available in the US unless its through EBay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
Royal Star, Polaris Supreme
I have been bad sea sick 3 times in my life. Before my first long range trip I went to the doctor to get the patch. At the time the patch was off the market so they prescribed Meclizine. It was prescription then. I have not been sick in the twenty years since that day.

I think it can make you a little drowsy. The trick is to get it in your system before you go. I take a whole pill at night the day before I leave then a half pill the morning of my trip. I will take a pill at night every day on a long range trip but skip the morning pill unless it is really rough

Reactions: snordo
Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
I honestly did not know what mescaline is so I googled it. "Mescaline leads to rich visual hallucinations." is what I found. If my 20 lb tuna can look like a cow to me, I am in.
Just don't try it on a trip to Guadalupe.... those great whites... whew!

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
My one trip to the Lupe I went 7/8 (seven-eighths) for 7. One pulled hook, one fish broke off going under the boat, 4 got chewed up by MFr's like the one above, and I landed 7/8 of a fish, minus it's tail and about a foot long section the tail attached to. Damn thing still weight 146 gilled and gutted. It was certainly something to experience...once.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
You might have to change your name to Mycelium Mike! I actually did know a guy named Mycelium Mitch back in the day, but that's another story. LOL
Working as a fisheries groundfish observer way back when, I positioned myself in the wheelhouse of a 90-foot trawler next to the captain. Honest 15-18 ft seas in the Bering Sea. Feet propped on the wall in front of me.... reading a book... captain says, "You really don't get seasick, do you?" Nope.

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
You might have to change your name to Mycelium Mike! I actually did know a guy named Mycelium Mitch back in the day, but that's another story. LOL
Working as a fisheries groundfish observer way back when, I positioned myself in the wheelhouse of a 90-foot trawler next to the captain. Honest 15-18 ft seas in the Bering Sea. Feet propped on the wall in front of me.... reading a book... captain says, "You really don't get seasick, do you?" Nope.
Hmmm, has a certain ring to it..

Reactions: nicodemus
Upvote 0

Nolan jahn

Jun 14, 2014
Name
TadyDaddy
Boat
Excel
I was also an observer in the Bering Sea...Summer of 96. I took what they called a “coast guard cocktail”, which was a mix of two drugs...promethazine and ephedrine. I’m very prone to motion sickness, and I felt like a champion in legit 20 ft seas. These days, I use the patch and deal with a little cotton mouth.

Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
I’ve never been sick, but I have been queasy while eating dinner in very rough seas.. I do carry this med, just in case and it has worked very well for me with a single dose..

No. Side affects that I could tell

Jeff.

Upvote 0

hot tuna

May 7, 2007
Tahoe
Name
Steve
Boat
clawfoot tub
I’ve battled sea sickness for years.
Taken all the different ines including the patch.
At this point, I just take Claritin the night before and for the first few days. Seems to keep my equilibrium less sensitive to the motion.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Meclizine works great.Somebody mentioned Kwells,it's basically the same thing including the side effects.

Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
Anyone can have a bad day on the water depending on health status, what's in your stomach, health status, conditions at sea etc. etc. Mal-d'mar is certainly the killjoy of fishing trips. Discussed above are many helpful recommendations! Many people swear by the Scopolamine patch. In prior discussions with many anglers; starting on your Dramamine or Bonnie 12- 24 hours in advance of your trip, is always a great idea.

Tight lines and screaming reels.

Reactions: Black-is-Back
Upvote 0