stank

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 16, 2005
Bangkok
Name
Dave
Boat Name
None
I am a member of CCA, having signed up at the Fred Hall Show this year. The post from Luke Burson, the VP of the Orange County chapter, who stated their top 2 goals were to increase membership and to raise money speaks volumes to me. I will not reup my membership next year.

JMHO

To be fair, the question Lake answered was what to the local chapters do, not what does CCA do.

What do you think local chapters should be doing?

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat Name
Ali your a marketing genius, so you know and admit a bad record , bad Apple can only rot a good story.

A poacher, a thief, a disregarder of what we all follow as good sportsman.

The board is very suspect by association. The price for penance is admirable but may not be wise moving forward. Change is good, seems like a simple change.

Our liberal friends are ones for forgiveness but will just as soon bury the knife if it suits their cause.

Perhaps list what others could do in replacement of this individual efforts and you might find others more willing to fill the void and build s new mountain for the cause.

Thank him for the support and move on. Jmo.

Btw I’ve sat on $100 million boards that f’d things up big time by horrible associations and decisions. Sometimes it only takes one.

Reactions: Fattony
Upvote 0

Done_Deal

Sep 10, 2004
Santa Monica
mysite.verizon.net
Name
Joe
Boat Name
19' Home Built
Just curious, not to create a war of words. If you aren't, please post reason if you feel like it.

After reading the 1st page if this thread I searched to see what all the fuss was about - and found it. If anything, the fuss was very underrated. I would not want this individual associated with any business or organization I have run or will run in the future.

Date: October 20, 2010

Investigation Was a Joint Effort with the California Department of Fish and Game

In August of 2008, California Fish and Game Wardens received an anonymous report via CalTip about suspected poaching activity in the Virginia Canyon area of Yosemite National Park. Based on this tip, the National Park Service (NPS) and the California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) opened a joint investigation. As the investigation progressed, Chad Gierlich, his 14-year old son, his brother Chris Gierlich, and Kyle Narasky were identified as suspects.

"Protection of our park's resources remains our first priority. It is our duty as stewards of the National Park Service to protect our natural resources for all Americans, and this includes our wildlife," said Yosemite National Park Superintendent Don Neubacher. "The National Park Service will prosecute all poachers to the furthest extent possible. I would like to thank the California Department of Fish and Game and Warden Chad Elliott, specifically, for their invaluable assistance."

“With dogged determination, Warden Elliott and National Park Service Rangers brought California’s most determined poachers to justice,” said Assistant Chief John Baker, of DFG’s Fresno office.

On August 28th, 2008, a Warden and a Yosemite National Park Ranger were on a stake-out at Yosemite’s boundary at Summit Lake. During this stake-out, the four suspects were stopped at 5:30 a.m. as they were sneaking out of the park. The Gierlich's and Narasky claimed they were on a week-long backpacking trip, yet they did not have the appropriate equipment. Due to the conversation with the suspects, Rangers and Wardens later returned to the area several times to search for evidence of poaching.

On September 13th, 2008, a Fish and Game Warden and a Yosemite Park Ranger, aided by the Warden's search dog, located multiple evidence items positively linking the Gierlich's and Narasky to the original CalTip report. These items included: the Gierlich's and Narasky's hunting licenses and deer tags, bows and arrows, digital memory cards, GPS units, backpacks, bags of rotten deer meat, three sets of deer antlers and a kill site. All of these items were located inside of Yosemite National Park, an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction.

A federal search warrant was executed on the electronic media found in the field. The evidence secured as a result of this search warrant led to the execution of a federal search warrant of Chad Gierlich's residence on January 11th, 2009. This search warrant was executed by NPS Special Agents and Rangers and Wardens of the California Department of Fish and Game. More evidence was seized during the execution of this search warrant including computers and the heads of two deer killed in Yosemite National Park in 2005 and 2007. Over the years, the Gierlichs had killed five trophy deer in Yosemite National Park.

Wardens of the California Department of Fish and Game initiated additional investigations on Chad Gierlich based on evidence seized off of the Gierlich's computers and GPS units that suggested multiple other poaching offenses including: four deer between Lake Perris State Park and Chino Hills State Park, and a deer and a javelina in Arizona in 2009. On Oct. 14, 2009, while under investigation for hunting within Yosemite’s boundaries, Chad Gierlich was cited for hunting with his son within the boundaries of Lake Perris State Park. Additionally, during the summer of 2010, he was cited twice by the California Department of Fish and Game for two independent fishing and boating violations. Additionally, Chad Gierlich was falsely reporting his poached deer to the California Bowmen Hunter's Association as legitimate kills and had several of his poached deer listed as records.

On September 1, 2009, Narasky was charged with six counts in Federal Court. Chad and Chris Gierlich were both charged with 17 counts in Federal Court.

Mono County charged Chad Gierlich with felony conspiracy, unlawful taking of a deer, failure to show game and device used to take game, waste of game, and contribution to the delinquency of a minor. Chris was charged with felony conspiracy, unlawful taking of a deer, failure to show game and device used to take game, and waste of game. Narasky was charged with felony conspiracy, unlawful taking of a deer, and failure to show game and device used to take game.

On May 25th, 2010, Narasky pled guilty to hunting in Yosemite National Park and possession of a weapon in the park. He was sentenced to a $7,500 fine, 24 months of unsupervised probation and forfeiture of all of his hunting equipment seized in the field. Additionally, Narasky agreed to stay outside of Yosemite National Park's boundaries for the duration of his probation.

On May 25th, 2010, Chris Gierlich pled guilty to 14 of 17 counts in Federal Court. These counts included three counts of hunting within Yosemite National Park, three counts of violating the Lacey Act and three counts of possession of a weapon within Yosemite National Park.

On May 25th, 2010, Chad Gierlich pled guilty to nine of 17 counts in Federal Court. These counts included three counts of hunting within Yosemite National Park, three counts of violating the Lacey Act and three counts of possession of a weapon within Yosemite National Park.

Chad Gierlich, Chris Gierlich, Kyle Narasky received sentences from Mono County Judge Stan Eller including up to 60 days in jail, between two and ten years hunting license revocation, three years probation, $1,000 fine, up to 200 hours community service.

On Tuesday, October 19th, 2010, Chad and Chris Gierlich were sentenced in Federal Court. Chris received sentencing including five years of supervised probation, 250 hours of community service, and 45 days of house arrest. Additionally, Chris is prohibited from hunting within the United States for five years, is not allowed to be in the presence of anyone hunting, and is not allowed to possess a bow and arrow.

Chad Gierlich’s sentence in federal court included five years of supervised probation and a $52,368 fine. Additionally, Chad is prohibited from hunting within the United States for five years, prohibited from being in the presence of other hunters, and is not allowed to possess a bow and arrow. He is not allowed in Yosemite for the duration of his probation.

The California Department of Fish and Game and the National Park Service extend their mutual thanks and appreciation for the assistance in bringing these serial poachers to justice. Only by working closely and cooperatively were successful prosecutions achieved. Additionally the NPS and the California Department of Fish and Game, wish to assure the people of California and the United States that we remain steadfast in our resolve to cooperatively and effectively protect our natural resources.

This multiagency investigation and convictions represents the most severe civil and criminal penalties ever associated with illegal hunting in the history of Yosemite National Park.

Reactions: sickcat
Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat Name
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
These CalTip success stories make me so happy.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
  • Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat Name
    Yellow spot
    Ali your a marketing genius, so you know and admit a bad record , bad Apple can only rot a good story.

A poacher, a thief, a disregarder of what we all follow as good sportsman.

The board is very suspect by association. The price for penance is admirable but may not be wise moving forward. Change is good, seems like a simple change.

Our liberal friends are ones for forgiveness but will just as soon bury the knife if it suits their cause.

Perhaps list what others could do in replacement of this individual efforts and you might find others more willing to fill the void and build s new mountain for the cause.

Thank him for the support and move on. Jmo.

Btw I’ve sat on $100 million boards that f’d things up big time by horrible associations and decisions. Sometimes it only takes one.

I agree with your point but certainly don't see any of this as a "liberal" Vs "conservative" issue. More like a people who have little or no idea what the outdoor life is about VS people who live it and understand it issue.

IMO part of CCAs role is to educate those who are ignorant of the fishing life before they can be sucked into the PETA type BS.

Upvote 0

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
    Jul 19, 2013
    Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
    Name
    Norm Campbell
    Boat Name
    UnBelievable 25’ Boston Whaler Revenge
    Lifetime Member.
    Founding San Diego Board Member.
    This is proof of a few negative ugly minded people attempting to poison the well.
    1. It’s impossable to make everyone happy.
    2. There will always be loud ugly idiots.
    3. The majority of wonderful folks whom do the most good are working hard don’t see the ugly comments here.
    4. Look at the big picture.
    Truth is to allow some small minded, looking for reasons to hate and destroy negative type people influence you not to be involved in the ONE OF THE ONLY ORGANIZATIONS TO KEEP YOU FISHING......please I don’t know how to help you!
    I know I will carry on with all the positive wonderful people whom get things done and allow even the aforementioned people enjoy the fruits of the positive hard work put out by positive people!
    Just know, positive folks don’t need or want negative folks in our circle, it’s why negative people are so loud and obnoxious.
    PLEASE UNDERSTAND WE FEEL SORRY FOR YOU, and hope you life takes a turn for the better soon.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat Name
    SeaVee 340Z
    To answer what CCA is doing, see below:

CCA%20PNW%20650%20x%20250.jpg

spacer.gif

A Message From Executive Director Wayne Kotow...

fred%20hall%20booth.jpg

Although the holidays have come and gone, 2019 is finally here. It's amazing how many things we have going on early in this new year. We're kicking things off on the chapter development side of things and we're starting up a brand new chapter in Santa Barbara. Things are shaping up very nicely up north as we hope that this new addition will become another one of our strong chapters in California. Our big meeting in Santa Barbara is January 8th, and we'd love for everyone to come and help us start this new chapter. And we're not stopping there, as we hope to continue pushing north with a few more chapters by year's end.

Also, we are looking for new board members of our local chapter boards in all of our chapters! If you, or you know someone who is interested in joining our boards, please reach out to us and let us know! We will be having another meeting up in Channel Islands on January 24th at the Channel Islands Yacht Club. Be on the lookout for all of our meetings and events put on by each chapter.

We are also looking forward to going up to Sacramento for the International Sportsmen's Expo for the first time ever! This kicks off the show season as we're also gearing up for the Pacific Coast Sportfishing Magazine Festival, all three of the Fred Hall Shows, and Day at the Bocks in San Diego.

As always, we are constantly looking for more volunteers and help getting the word out about CCA California. If you'd like to help out in any way, we can always use it. Whether it's at the shows, fundraisers or chapter meetings, we sure hope to see you at all of our events throughout the year.

spacer.gif

National Update

US Senate Passes Modern Fish Act Unanimously, Sent To President Trump

MFA-2-28.jpg

The Modern Fish Act would make critical updates to the oversights of federal fisheries, and is no sitting on the desk of the President. Read More...

State Update

New Groundfish Depth Limit, Sheephead Filet Length Coming In 2019

IMG_1665.JPG

There will be new groundfish regulations that will take place in 2019. Read More...

Don't Miss Our First Santa Barbara Chapter Meeting: January 8th!

santa_barbara1__large.jpg

CCA is coming to Santa Barbara, and we'd love for you to become a part of it! Read More...

Check Out Our Latest CCA CAL Promotional Video!

Screen%20Shot%202018-12-26%20at%2012.16.22%20PM.png

CCA CAL State Board Member Bill Boyce stars in our new promotion video for CCA California. Watch It Here...

2019 CCA CAL Sportfishing Calendar On Sale Now!

2019SFTideCalendar_Cover%5B1%5D.jpg

Pick up a 2019 CCA Sportfishing Calendar at tackle shops, landings and all Turner Outdoorsman stores. Register your calendar at ccacalifornia.org to win!

spacer.gif

Event Recap

Technique, Charters, And Truthful Science All Covered At The Bluefin Seminar

IMG_1461.JPG

The CCA LA Chapter put on a fantastic bluefin seminar at the Alpine Village in Torrance. Read More...

CCA CAL Puts On Broodstock Trips For Halibut In San Diego Bay

IMG_1823.JPG

This was the first trial run using private boats, and the trips produced great success and contributed fish for the Hubbs Seaworld Research Institute. Read More...

Watch The Video From Our Trips...

Upcoming Events

January 8th - Santa Barbara Chapter Meeting - Santa Barbara

January 17th-20th - International Sportsmen's Expo - Sacramento

January 24th - Channel Islands Chapter Meeting - Channel Islands YC

January 27th - Bay Bass Seminar - Dana Landing

February 2nd - San Diego Anglers Bay Bass Tournament - San Diego Bay

February 15th-17th - Pacific Coast Sportfishing Magazine Festival - Orange County Fair And Event Center

Calendar Corner

bullbuster.jpg

The next CCA Calendar Drawing is coming on Saturday January 19th, 2019. The winning number will receive a package from Bullbuster! Tune in to Let’s Talk Hookup (7am - 9am, 1090 AM Radio), or look for the winning number on our Facebook page.

spacer.gif

A Big Thanks To All of Our Founding Sponsors

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-18%20at%204.24.54%20PM.png

CCA CAL

13015 Abing Ave.
    San Diego, CA 92129
    (858) 232-5721
    Unsubscribe

image.gif

Upvote 0

backfisher

Jun 9, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Richard
    Boat Name
    If I only...
    Lifetime Member.
    Founding San Diego Board Member.
    This is proof of a few negative ugly minded people attempting to poison the well.
    1. It’s impossable to make everyone happy.
    2. There will always be loud ugly idiots.
    3. The majority of wonderful folks whom do the most good are working hard don’t see the ugly comments here.
    4. Look at the big picture.
    Truth is to allow some small minded, looking for reasons to hate and destroy negative type people influence you not to be involved in the ONE OF THE ONLY ORGANIZATIONS TO KEEP YOU FISHING......please I don’t know how to help you!
    I know I will carry on with all the positive wonderful people whom get things done and allow even the aforementioned people enjoy the fruits of the positive hard work put out by positive people!
    Just know, positive folks don’t need or want negative folks in our circle, it’s why negative people are so loud and obnoxious.
    PLEASE UNDERSTAND WE FEEL SORRY FOR YOU, and hope you life takes a turn for the better soon.

First let me state that I am a member of CCA, and fully support their mission. That said, the reply above really bothered me, especially from a "Founding San Diego Board Member."

The most common reason that has been given for not supporting CCA in this thread is the association of the CCA with a particular individual. A person that did not just make a mistake, rather showed a a pattern of behavior that demonstrated a complete disrespect for the values of sportsmanship and the laws of the State of California. He is an anathema to those of us who hold these things dear.

The commenters have a valid point. Remember that 'a man is judged by the company he keeps.' While Ali presented a clear statement as to the CCA position, and I thank him for that, to hurl insults at the individuals expressing an opinion has no place here. Calling them "ugly idiots," "small minded," and "negative people" not only makes the writer look bad but by association all of CCA (which I know is not true). If you are of the opinion that Mr. Gierlich is good for the reputation of CCA please state your reasons for believing so, maybe you can convince us to see things your way.

Personally, I will continue to support CCA because I believe in their mission. We desperately need someone who can lobby on our behalf and protect what fishing rights we still have. However I do feel that for the CCA to associate with the likes of Mr. Gierlich is to "nourish a viper in one's bosom.'

Upvote 0