Are we at the pinnacle of reel/rod technology?

mattymako

May 30, 2021
Gloucester
Name
Matthew Clark
Boat Name
Clipper
I imagine the last generation of reels and standup rods used on long range boats seemed at the time to be the end all of angling technology. Are there any ideas how there could be room for further improvement in the future?

Reactions: kayakbeast33
Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat Name
Jasmine
I’m sure 50 years from now people will be fishing with #80-130 rods weighing 3-4 ounces and 25-50 sized reels weighing 15-20 ounces or less. Almost impossible to believe but I don’t think anyone could’ve guessed how light tuna rods (and reels) would have become nowadays from as little as 15 years ago.

Reactions: Whalebreath
Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2017
Tuna Grounds
Name
Gouryella
Boat Name
Lil Yachty
Electric Septuple-speed Makiras/VISXs/Talicas.

Ultra thin/lite, water-proof/resistant, bullet proof Hollow Spectra.

Trinidaddys that lets you cast a mile away without loading a rod.

Flyers that you can fly without the kite, you can fly them with an external device.

20x circle hooks in all sorts of sizes.

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat Name
24 ft grady white
As long as rod and reel manufacturers continue to make so called improvements and there are buyers for things that really don't work any better than before this technology will advance further.But what do i know i still like to use a Jigmaster and an old school rod.

kenstevens1

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 1, 2013
huntington beach /ca/us
Name
ken
Boat Name
none
I would say line getting thinner. Don't know about hooks but transparent polymer hooks might show. Casting wise the dc trini might have been a pinnacle, why that hasn't continued I don't know. Maybe unlimited automatic gear ratio (they had it in cars). Lighter rods maybe, but wheres the balance.

Upvote 0

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat Name
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Better corrosion resistance—especially for level winds. Why have coatings, seals, SS bearings, and then a clutch cam retainer made from pot metal?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KXKH

Feb 28, 2018
NorCal
Name
Boat Name
19' Hobie
Electric 2 speed lever drag reels. I only need the electronic for fishing at 300 plus feet, especially when jigging 400gr and bigger jigs for endless of hours. Switch to manual hand crank once you hook up. All the ones I've seen has been star drags only.

Reactions: kzaam1
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat Name
Yes
Pinnacle is probably not the best word, as it implies that it is going to go downhill after hitting the pinnacle. Instead, improvements may be less pronounced and further between, so in geometric terms it is probably safe to say we are asymptotically approaching perfection. Certainly, it is easy to believe that improvements cannot continue without bound, but then it was once thought that the patent office would soon close because all the good stuff had already been thought up.

Upvote 0

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat Name
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Looking at the power built into new high end Toray carbon, nano particle resin composite SPJ rods, it wouldn't surprise me to see a pencil thin 100lb class tuna rod in the not too distant future.

Rod tech hasn't peaked by a long shot.

2 speed electric lever drags can't be too far away.

Upvote 0

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat Name
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Zane Gray probably thought he was at the pinnacle/zenith of fishing tackle technology.

Reactions: sickcat
Upvote 0

lowprofile

• Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    We are about to see another wave of technology in the line and reel industry.
    Abrasion resistant braids, stronger composites, lighter metals on lower cost reels and new drag technology in the form of detachable lever drag disks (lighter free floating spools) and more dual and triple discs.
    Keep an eye out this fall and next spring.

dctalk523
    dctalk523
    Is Shimano one of the companies w/ new reels like major update to Trinidad Talica and Tranx line
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
    Encinitas, CA
    www.coastlaw.com
    Name
    Marco Gonzalez
    Boat Name
    Nah
    Check out the Temple Reef Spathe inline rod about to be released. There is a lot of room for innovation and performance enhancements. Thinner, stronger, more transparent lines, new ways to connect them to hooks and jigs, more cameras down deep, scents, etc. The Penn Torque or Daiwa Saltiga may be the ultimate star drag reel of today, but you know there's going to be lighter, stronger, sleeker just around the corner...

Reactions: kayakbeast33
    Upvote 0

kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat Name
    Almost time
    There are rod manufacturers still pushing the envelope like UC with the GP & GPX rods and I can imagine we are not far from a Lexa 500 tw 2spd lol 🤯

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat Name
    44 luhrs dreamer
    I think the MFG money will be spent on Hi performance spin reels,world wide Spin out sell conventional reels.Just spend some time in the south east.Japan is huge on spin.FWIW,Tom

surfgoose
    surfgoose
    X2 on that. We've already had a couple of 2-speed spinners on the market that were crap metal -- wait until Shimano/Daiwa/Okuma etc. get serious! It will happen for sure.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0