Are these setups matched properly?

fdbrown22

Jul 27, 2020
OC
Name
RJTP
Boat
none
Over the last year I have added some gear to my arsenal and wondering if they are matched appropriately. We normally fish out of Dana Point at SCI, Catalina, and then just coastal/local. We are doing a few more overnights and 1.5 days but nothing more than that for the next year.

Targeting mainly YT, and smaller to mid grade tuna. Of course with the mixed in rockfishing, calico, bonito, dorado. I am still learning more about jigs, but ideally it would be live bait, coltsnipers, yoyo and surface irons. I am not a fan of 9ft rods, so I understand I am sacrificing some casting distance. If I decide I really enjoy surface irons, I will get a longer rod, but for now I am all about versatility and keeping it simple as I am still learning.

Setup 1: 20-25LB Bait
Penn Fathom II 15NSD
Phenix Abyss 808 moderate fast 15-40LB

Setup 2: 25/30LB Jigs/Surface Irons
Lexa 400HD 7.1:1
Phenix M1 Inshore 8'2"H XF 20-45

Setup 3: 40LB Live Bait/Heavy Irons
Penn Fathom II 25NSD
Cal Star 6480C 30-60

Setup 4: YoYo, Rockfishing, Dropper Loops
Fathom 30LD2
Shimano Tallus 7'H 50-100

I also have an extra Okuma Komodo 471 that does not have a rod.

Is there anything I should change, or is better at fishing jigs than others?

Reactions: bassman88

kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat
    Almost time
    Looks good to me... I wouldn't fish setup 2 a lighter than 30 especially for fishing jigs. If you planning on 1.5 day trip you might consider the next setup going heavier since the big blue fish are getting closer and closer.

Reactions: kbray001

fdbrown22

Jul 27, 2020
    OC
    Name
    RJTP
    Boat
    none
    Awesome, thanks for the reassurance!

Looks good to me... I wouldn't fish setup 2 a lighter than 30 especially for fishing jigs. If you planning on 1.5 day trip you might consider the next setup going heavier since the big blue fish are getting closer and closer.

How much heavier should I go than my my setup 4? The next day and half we have planned isn't until Oct. Hopefully will get on another one before that.

Upvote 0

kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat
    Almost time
    Awesome, thanks for the reassurance!

How much heavier should I go than my my setup 4? The next day and half we have planned isn't until Oct. Hopefully will get on another one before that.
    I think a fathom 40 2 speed in lue of that 30 would make an excellent yoyo/ flat fall that you could fish 60-80 pound on that rod. If budget allows I would add a #100 setup there are a few options in that class. The couple of reports I have been reading on here keep saying don't leave home without an #80 setup altleast.

A railrod that can fish #100 would be best and you heavier frame 2 speed of choice. I have a uc 76 viper and mak 20 for #100

Runway1

Almost A Member
    Nov 18, 2018
    Orange County
    Name
    Runway1
    Boat
    None
    Just thinking, I like number 4 but for rockfish on droper loop? Even for YT seems heavy. I would think that a nice setup for 80# tuna.

Upvote 0