I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Name
Romel
Boat
Dolphin
Got them from the Phenix booth at the Delmar Fred Hall Show.

Less than a minute of finding the spine of the blank, it snaps. bieber

Soo yeah..... What to do, what to do....

IMG_6542.jpg

IMG_6543.jpg

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I'd ditch those blanks. Never been a big fan of Phenix and their overseas construction. UC makes a far superior composite or straight carbon/graphite rod.

I don't get their model. Made overseas, priced like a domestic.

Upvote 0

luckylogger6

May 19, 2010
Northern CA
Name
Joe
Boat
none
Was that from the huge box of bulk blanks? I've always been temped by the no-name blanks sold at the show. Give them a call, I'm sure they will make it right. just be glad you had not yet wrapped it yet...

Upvote 0

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
Got them from the Phenix booth at the Delmar Fred Hall Show.

Less than a minute of finding the spine of the blank, it snaps. bieber

Soo yeah..... What to do, what to do....

WHATTTTTT!!!???

That sucks, but buying rods from a sale box often give you shit..unless factory labels are still on them. I have purchased Seeker 2nds in the past, they still worked fine,
maybe needed a bent tip trimmed or refinishing. Used them for kids 1/2 day rods as inexpensive gifts for kids from dads, first rod. But, a blank breaking while just spineing, wow!! Bad news, Bad product!!
IMG_6542.jpg

IMG_6543.jpg

WHATTTTTT!!!???

That sucks, but buying rods from a sale box often give you shit..unless factory labels are still on them. I have purchased Seeker 2nds in the past, they still worked fine,
maybe needed a bent tip trimmed or refinishing. Used them for kids 1/2 day rods as inexpensive gifts for kids from dads, first rod. But, a blank breaking while just spineing, wow!! Bad news, Bad product!!
Could be just a bad blank....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats

WHATTTTTT!!!???

maybe needed a bent tip trimmed or refinishing. Used them for kids 1/2 day rods as inexpensive gifts for kids from dads, first rod. But, a blank breaking while just spineing, wow!! Bad newso_O, Bad product!!:mad:

Could be just one BAD blank....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JTrelikes

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 3, 2006
    Lakeside, CA
    Name
    Jim Trelikes
    Boat
    Bubba Jean 28
    Phenix sponsors this forum..........be nice if they chimed in.

Does Phenix market a purple blank? I'm not up on everything they're offering nowadays. I know you can get some cool colors from Rod Geeks. I have a purple one here that I brought back from Texas earlier this month. Pulled on this one, and it seems like a fine product.

Upvote 0

18parker

Jun 22, 2008
    fallbrook
    Name
    jeff
    Boat
    Cabo 226
    I have a couple blanks with the same sticker..they are a iredecent blue..and one green..they are nice blanks and I have pulled on them like hell to see if they would fail..but they are good so I'm thinking just a bad one..it happens in all manufacturers

Upvote 0

zanegler

Bomboy Lures Are Money!
    Jun 24, 2008
    placerville/ca/usa
    Name
    zane
    Boat
    Skipjack 20 Flybridge, Cruel Intentions
    I wish the op would update this post with the "happy ending". I checked and this is not a Phenix blank but rather a close-out blank from another mfg, and he was offered a free replacement.

Phenix rods are lean and mean fish-killing machines! Anyone who disagrees is ............never mind.

Reactions: speyman
    Upvote 0

JTL750

Oct 8, 2013
    SD
    Name
    Str8up Jesse
    Boat
    SS Bobber
    That is not a phenix blank, it was from a booth next to phenix that has cheap blanks. I forgot the name of the company but everyone knows not to buy the cheap blanks..

Yes, those are phenix blanks. They are factory defects. Phenix had some at Day at The Docks last year also.

Sucks for the OP, but that's why you don't buy rods from a bargin bin

Upvote 0

brice

Feb 9, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    brice
    Boat
    Grady 226
    I bought one from from day at the docks (20-40) and haven't had any issues so far. So is it a phenix blank or not?
    FB_IMG_1459097953872.jpg

Upvote 0

buddahhead

Sep 5, 2008
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Name
    Adam
    Boat
    22 Lowe bay
    Phenix makes rods and blanks for a lot of different companies (OEM) and the rods in the bin at any of the shows are either seconds, over runs or blanks that were purchased on closeout from someone else.They are not a phenix blank in the sense of black diamonds, M1, or Hybrids and many times are not the same materials as the regular rods due to being manufactured to the specific company's specifications and price point

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

graya

Dec 3, 2005
    Fontana CA
    Name
    Guadalupe Raya
    Boat
    none
    Phenix makes rods and blanks for a lot of different companies (OEM) and the rods in the bin at any of the shows are either seconds, over runs or blanks that were purchased on closeout from someone else.They are not a phenix blank in the sense of black diamonds, M1, or Hybrids and many times are not the same materials as the regular rods due to being manufactured to the specific company's specifications and price point

x2 if you are buying this blanks thinking they phenix blanks they ARE NOT phenix blanks that is why they dont have a phenix blank model on them there are some good blanks in those bins you just need to inspect the blank and pull on it real hard to make sure you getting a good one i have built on this blanks for friends that dont want to spend the money on a real phenix blank and so far so good

Reactions: Olddog8
    Upvote 0

capntim

Jan 18, 2012
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    Hobie 1
    As has been said, those are not Phenix blanks. If you go by their store in Bellflower
    they have racks filled with them, purple, blue, green, ect. They will tell you they are not Phenix brand blanks...aftermarket stuff hence is why they are so cheap.

Upvote 0

JTrelikes

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 3, 2006
    Lakeside, CA
    Name
    Jim Trelikes
    Boat
    Bubba Jean 28
    I didn't make it to the show this year.........but doesn't Phenix just display their product and not sell out of the booth? I thought manufacturers were there just to display, and defer interested customers to their loyal distributors. Were they selling?

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

graya

Dec 3, 2005
    Fontana CA
    Name
    Guadalupe Raya
    Boat
    none
    I didn't make it to the show this year.........but doesn't Phenix just display their product and not sell out of the booth? I thought manufacturers were there just to display, and defer interested customers to their loyal distributors. Were they selling?

They don't sell their name brand blanks or rods at the shows but they have this after market blanks that they sell along with rod components

Reactions: Olddog8
    Upvote 0

TadyHawK

May 19, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    www.facebook.com
    Name
    Romel
    Boat
    Dolphin
    I wish the op would update this post with the "happy ending". I checked and this is not a Phenix blank but rather a close-out blank from another mfg, and he was offered a free replacement.

Phenix rods are lean and mean fish-killing machines! Anyone who disagrees is ............never mind.

Totally forgot about this thread I made last week.. Well here is the the update with a Phenix rep.

IMG_6593.png

IMG_6613.jpg

Went to make chopsticks. Now kinda makes me want to buy a Phenix blank.... Just seeing how they would take care for a future customer. 10/10.

Upvote 0