Offshore Are there still YFT in US Waters?

PENN

rodngun762

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 12, 2005
Name
Boat
As of Tuesday December 4th, I can confirm yes. Launched at 800am, 3 fish by 11am, Phil's BBQ for lunch, back to Newport before commuter traffic.

Short-beaked common dolphin, black-vented shearwater, two boobies (brown and red-footed), and a small garmin fish finder marked the presence of yellowfin tuna. Water temp display runs a few degrees cold, hence the editing. Also my fishing buddy is really ugly so didn't want to subject you to that.

IMG_8295.jpg IMG_8301.jpg IMG_8311.jpg

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Hell yes. Congrats! I think that is the latest I have ever read about YFT being caught in "local" US waters. Way to go.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
How far did you travel?

Reactions: locvetter
Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
Not buying it. Dana Landing. Look at the building behind the tree. The same tree that the Wardens park at and the biologist sit in there car at waiting to check our catch. Give me a freaking break.

John

Upvote 0

rodngun762

Jul 12, 2005
Name
Boat
My goodness, people!

Thank you to those who appreciated the report! Of course this site is voluntary, free sharing of information; those who reply only with sour comments, neither I nor the site owners will be refunding your money for failing to meet expectations. I'm sorry.

How do some of you guys catch fish if you can't read into details or bridge inferences into conclusions?

Phil's BBQ for lunch, back to Newport before commuter traffic.

Two clues here that we did not launch of out Newport Beach. No trickery was ever intended with my post... you're just supposed to read closely.

[photo of boat at Dana Landing, Mission Bay]

Another clue...

And where did we catch the fish at?

Launched at 800am, 3 fish by 11am,

So, it takes 25 min from launch ramp, to bait barge, to harbor entrance. 825am clearing the harbor, 3 fish by 11am. Logically, that gives about 2 hours, 35 minutes max of travel time in an 18ft boston whaler, assuming it took no time to find dolphin, evaluate the presence of fish, put lines in the water, and hook and reel in 3 fish. (In actuality all of that took about 1 hour, 35 minutes) Is it calm seas in the picture? Not really. So we're traveling about 20mph max. 1 hour of travel time at 20 miles per hour... do you guys remember this clip?
Anyway, the point of posting was to inspire some hunting. Nobody directed me to these fish. I woke up at 5am and trailered a boat 80 miles to San Diego because I wanted to test my own hunch after looking at Terrafin charts every day for the last 2 weeks (well, actually, every day for the last 10 years is more like it).

If I'm an asshole for giving the GPS numbers, lure selection, and color of underwear I was wearing only to my real life friends, then so be it! If I posted GPS numbers on here where I caught them, chances are would be *less* helpful because conditions change daily. Again.. 1 hour travel time at 20 miles per hour... go get 'em.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Nice catch, most people gave up months ago. Years ago I would be a strong doubter, but only a few weeks ago I found a few mostly dead kelps with tuna and skips that would not bite and further on our way in found a pod of dolphin near the 182 in flat calm weather with tuna under them and no biters out of either. Didn’t tell anyone but close friends because it wasn’t believable info, then the sport boats lit up nice grade yellowfin a few weeks later and at least I felt like I wasn’t taking crazy pills.

Upvote 0

ripped

• Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Nice report and congrats on taking the chance and finding um. What's with the red dot? Witness protection or sick day?? LOL Nicely done and thanks for posting.

Reactions: rodngun762
    Upvote 0

Hardcor

Hardcore
    Jun 8, 2014
    Hardcore
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Hardcore
    Boat
    Hardcore
    If I'm an asshole for giving the GPS numbers, lure selection, and color of underwear I was wearing only to my real life friends, then so be it! If I posted GPS numbers on here where I caught them, chances are would be *less* helpful because conditions change daily. Again.. 1 hour travel time at 20 miles per hour... go get 'em.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the report. I like to check out the warm water bubbles at the end of the season too. The guys that attack your report never give reports. One of the guys is really peculiar

Upvote 0

longboard85

• Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    My goodness, people!

Thank you to those who appreciated the report! Of course this site is voluntary, free sharing of information; those who reply only with sour comments, neither I nor the site owners will be refunding your money for failing to meet expectations. I'm sorry.

How do some of you guys catch fish if you can't read into details or bridge inferences into conclusions?

Two clues here that we did not launch of out Newport Beach. No trickery was ever intended with my post... you're just supposed to read closely.

Another clue...

And where did we catch the fish at?

So, it takes 25 min from launch ramp, to bait barge, to harbor entrance. 825am clearing the harbor, 3 fish by 11am. Logically, that gives about 2 hours, 35 minutes max of travel time in an 18ft boston whaler, assuming it took no time to find dolphin, evaluate the presence of fish, put lines in the water, and hook and reel in 3 fish. (In actuality all of that took about 1 hour, 35 minutes) Is it calm seas in the picture? Not really. So we're traveling about 20mph max. 1 hour of travel time at 20 miles per hour... do you guys remember this clip?
    Anyway, the point of posting was to inspire some hunting. Nobody directed me to these fish. I woke up at 5am and trailered a boat 80 miles to San Diego because I wanted to test my own hunch after looking at Terrafin charts every day for the last 2 weeks (well, actually, every day for the last 10 years is more like it).

If I'm an asshole for giving the GPS numbers, lure selection, and color of underwear I was wearing only to my real life friends, then so be it! If I posted GPS numbers on here where I caught them, chances are would be *less* helpful because conditions change daily. Again.. 1 hour travel time at 20 miles per hour... go get 'em.
    Well said thanks for the report and great job on the late season tuna!

Upvote 0