Are there fish year around on Oahu?

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by hanapaapinales, Sep 2, 2012.

1. hanapaapinales

hanapaapinales Newbie

Name:
    Chris Pinales
    Boat:
    17' Salty Ant
    Being that I have just started fishing and all off shore I was wondering if there will still be fish around in the so called "winter" time? If so what kind of fish stick around? I was told mahi mahi are always around and aku are always around. Is that so? Where do the tuna, Ono, and marlin go? Is it gonna be worth the gas money to head out during the off season?
    You all have been a great help getting me started and I'm hoping somebody can educate me on this. Thank you!!!

2. abdiver7777

abdiver7777 abdiver7777

Name:
    Sir2you
    Boat:
    No Name........
    yes.....

imo........ not worth the fuel cost.....

I did most of my fishing at the Costco.... they usually have some pretty cool fresh exotics from the islands North of Hawaii......

3. da reel man

da reel man Newbie

Name:
    cuz
    Boat:
    21 alii kai
    dont waste your time listening to ab boy, he dont know his ass from a hole in the ground. costco buys there fish from all over the world. they have a buyer at the auction block here in hawaii that buys the leftover fish that no one else wants. you wont ever see them pay more then 3 bucks a pound for ahi. btw what the hell does a dude from cali know about hawaii. just a joe know it all. on top of that the north western hawaiian islands are a federal santuary.

4. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    You can catch all of our offshore fish year round in hawaii. you should see the fisherman hustling to get ahi/shibis for new year's eve. A good example would be to check out chupu charter's website, thet have their catches broken down by year and month.

5. jma1978

jma1978 Bird Catcher

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    24' Yellowfin
    You can catch fish year round. Just look at past fishing reports here, you'll see posts from the entire year.
    Aku are always around and are pretty tasty and make awesome poke. And just because there are fewer ono, marlin and ahi during the winter, doesn't mean there are "none."

6. Kauaihunter

Kauaihunter Newbie

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Moana Kai 15' Whaler
    Always worth it in my opinion. Fishing to me is not just catching, it's relaxation. Worst day fishing is better than the best day at work.

7. AKEMI TOO

AKEMI TOO Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
    Like Kauaihunter says, it's the fun of being out there fishing, unless you're commercial, that's a different story. If you want to go catching, then the green paper bait ($$$) is the way to go. Good luck and good fishing!

8. abdiver7777

abdiver7777 abdiver7777

Name:
    Sir2you
    Boat:
    No Name........

Don't listen too DA REEL Boy........Brah........

EES still drunk after cashin da welfares check dat cam inda mail satdirday

9. East Side

East Side Certified Masterb8er

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    23' Custom, Caroline II
    Only hard if you don't know how to fish.

(null)

10. Kauaihunter

Kauaihunter Newbie

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Moana Kai 15' Whaler

Diarrhea of the mouth again!

Amazing the administrators of this site let this guy Troll Here all the time!

11. mortarsarehung

mortarsarehung Newbie

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    The Dude
    This douchebag tryin to make us Cali boys look bad. No worries, the only trollin he does is on bloodydecks!

12. hanapaapinales

hanapaapinales Newbie

Name:
    Chris Pinales
    Boat:
    17' Salty Ant
    thank to all of you who posted helpful stuff and not crap! The reason I was asking if it was worth it going in winter time is because Im interested in keeping up a nice lure collection. The gear I fish with is for smaller game so smaller skirt lures is what Im looking for.
    I knew from the start abdiver7777 was full of shit. I never pay him attention anyway.
    Thank you guys for the advise once again.
    Anybody with lures to sell? PM me thank you again

13. Kauaihunter

Kauaihunter Newbie

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Moana Kai 15' Whaler
    [​IMG]

Both from Walmart so should have on Oahu too. Kaku and Boone. Aku and Ko-shibi killers. Have caught mahis, kawakawa and lost one Boone to an ono. I always run these. The chrome head is the Boone, about $8.00. The Kaku is around $12.00.

14. da reel man

da reel man Newbie

Name:
    cuz
    Boat:
    21 alii kai
    yeah dat bastard always making pilikia. den he tell i stay on welfare no mo class. i no stay on welfare, i stay on social security jes like him for head issues

15. kylie96819

kylie96819 Newbie

Name:
    Cal
    Boat:
    26 Yellowfin
    You got it wrong, its Sam's Club that buys all the cheap fish at the auction. Costco doesn't have a fish buyer at the auction.

16. da reel man

da reel man Newbie

Name:
    cuz
    Boat:
    21 alii kai

thanks for the correction. so that means only sams has local fish?

17. kylie96819

kylie96819 Newbie

Name:
    Cal
    Boat:
    26 Yellowfin
    Yup! 90% of the tuna's at the auction get shipped off this island. The mainland people are eating our local fish and us local's are eating fresh and frozen imported fish from around world. The mainland is willing to pay a lot more for the tuna's then us local people.

18. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Chris,
    If you are talking about only trolling, you'll probably find more success at one of the buoys on the north/windward side of the island. Gotta go early and the waters are not always the nicest to fish in! As previously mentioned, mahimahi can be found.....gotta look for them in open schools or around rubbish. In general, fishing for Ahi, Ono, and marlin during late fall and winter slows down considerably compared to late spring and summer, but all can be caught on any given day all year round. Fall and Winter is typically good for bottomfishing either ( deep seven) or shallow bottom ( moana kali, weke ula, nabeta ). Information about what's biting before going out, having the right equipment and bait for the target species will help reduce the chances of "bad fishing". No guarantees in fishing, just gotta go and find out. Main thing, go out, be safe and have FUN!

19. kaaawaboy

kaaawaboy Newbie

Name:
    Keoni
    Boat:
    Reinell 17.
    Here is a link to Kuuloakai's website that will give you a better guess of what species are running during certain times of the year. You can also look through their old fishing reports to see what species they catch during certain months. Then again its fishing everybody could be catching fish in one area and the next day you go nuttin! Good luck
    http://www.kuuloakai.com/fishing_season.asp

20. East Side

East Side Certified Masterb8er

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    23' Custom, Caroline II
    DRUM lol

That sams club guy is RUBBISH. And all the fish he buy is RUBBISH. :rofl:

He payed somebody to slash Old man Nobu's tires on his car cause he was trying for jack prices.