Are there any Tuna kinda of west of South LongBeach Yet?

PENN

spize909

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
Thank you for your reply
This is the kind of reply that I been hoping for.
I have not launched out of Newport before. Although I am very interested in giving that a try around the 2nd weekend of July
Just know that it's a long boat ride out of Newport Harbor. If you really want to fish offshore I think I'd wait till August or so. Launching from Long Beach you can fish Horseshoe, HB Flats, Izors, etc and all could put you on yellowtail or seabass. We use to catch a ton of yellowtail in those areas and this year is kinda looking like the right conditions for that to happen again. Shoot me a pm if you need a rider.

Upvote 0

OIF VET

May 26, 2010
North OC
Name
Brian
Boat
nope
If you really want to go offshore locally you most likely will have to wait till august. With that being said I would trailer further south than newport. Launch out of dana point or Oceanside or you can always go to San Diego and launch out of shelter island. These three places will put you closer to the offshore areas faster.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
catching Tuna Dorado in the channel is not the norm. Does it happen, yes. If the channel is the only area you can fish, then give it a shot. But wait until late August, and all the way into October. Sure small schools of Tuna and Paddy Dodo get caught off the OC, but rarely is is wide open fishing. I have caught Albacore, and Dodo a few miles off Dana Point, and YFT, and Dodo's at 25 miles off San Clemente (City). Every season is different......Best best bet, trailer to SD, or DP and head south west.....check the SST's and the Chlorophyl charts, look for temp breaks and clean water around the offshore banks. Take a look at tempbreaks.com. Its free. Or get a membership to Fish Dope.

Upvote 0

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
Apr 21, 2013
Arcadia/CA/USA
Name
Pete King
Boat
Ohana
Santa Monica Bay if we are lucky this year. There will be a few caught at the Avalon Bank and the West end of Catalina even if they don't show in SM Bay. Wait until August-October. I'm talking about YFT and BFT.

Otherwise, you can go out today and get Pacific Bonito, which are surprisingly tasty if bled and iced properly. Taste terrible if not properly handled...

Bueno suerte.

Upvote 0

Andrew Kovach

Almost A Member
May 29, 2014
Lancaster, CA
Name
Key West
Boat
20 foot CC
If you can trailer your boat your best chances are to drive it to San Diego and launch from there AND then and only then will you have some chance at catching tuna during the peak summer months. Keeping in mind that 50 miles is as close as some tuna normally get, usually farther out though. Tuna are an offshore , pelagic fish that prefer cleaner water normally found offshore. Good luck!
Thanks again I been out to the 181 & 182 & 390 a few times since 2004.
At that time I lived in Vista near Oceanside. I been in Lancaster, ca since 2007. I been trailering my boat to Oxnard & MDR & South Long beach. Last year I trailered to Oceanside and Shelter Island during a one long weekend, and on an other one did a 1.5 day out of H & M I miss San Diego! And will go back there some day.
Any way I need to learn more about the LA / Oxnard salt water fishing areas and so on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrew Kovach

Almost A Member
May 29, 2014
Lancaster, CA
Name
Key West
Boat
20 foot CC
Santa Monica Bay if we are lucky this year. There will be a few caught at the Avalon Bank and the West end of Catalina even if they don't show in SM Bay. Wait until August-October. I'm talking about YFT and BFT.

Otherwise, you can go out today and get Pacific Bonito, which are surprisingly tasty if bled and iced properly. Taste terrible if not properly handled...

Bueno suerte.
Thank you for your reply
I will give that area a try

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
yes.....this is going to be a crazy season. Go get them.

Upvote 0

spize909

Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
Click reply to the thread you want to quote and type below the quote. No need for double posting. Or you push quote on each one you want to reply to then go to the bottom of the page and push reply and they will all be quoted in the same post.
As for tuna, they are getting closer to LB everyday.

Upvote 0

surfsalot

New guy again
Oct 25, 2010
Newport Beach/CA
Name
Bruce
Boat
Know Fish
Caught Dorado and little paddie Yellows last year between Newport and the east end. Expect to see Y/F tuna this year, off the east end or 181 if El Nino shapes up.

Upvote 0

Andrew Kovach

Almost A Member
May 29, 2014
Lancaster, CA
Name
Key West
Boat
20 foot CC
Click reply to the thread you want to quote and type below the quote. No need for double posting. Or you push quote on each one you want to reply to then go to the bottom of the page and push reply and they will all be quoted in the same post.
As for tuna, they are getting closer to LB everyday.
Thank you

Reactions: spize909
Upvote 0