Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Ya figured as much but my trip isn’t until December... worst case Scenario if my trip get canceled or I get cut from trip cause they reduce capacity and I don’t go on trip and buy a boat and go local fishing...
Yeah. They will limit the number of people. If you're one of the last to sign up, you might get bumped off.

They will also check your temperature before boarding, and ask you to social distance while in line, because if someone in line has a high temperature, and you don't social distance, guess what is going to happen............?

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Thinking that a broader perspective is required here. The greater risk of contracting Covid is not on the deck in an open air environment but below in the bunk room where everyone is confined in the same room. Even in State Rooms the ventilation system ensures that every one will get some air from every other room.

So now what do we do? Super glue 6 of the KN95 face masks together and duct tape it over the louvers of the ventilation openings.

Let's go fishing !
Walt

Last edited:

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Greensboro North Carolina
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Yeah. They will limit the number of people. If you're one of the last to sign up, you might get bumped off.

They will also check your temperature before boarding, and ask you to social distance while in line, because if someone in line has a high temperature, and you don't social distance, guess what is going to happen............?
Ya figured I might get cut but winter here in North Carolina means big bluefin tuna!!!! Outer banks giants!!!

Reactions: Cubeye and FishRock

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I do not think the issue of mask is a deal breaker but looking at the big picture I think of Mexico mainland off limits. Each trip has that option for emergencies. Politics between Mexico and US come in to play. Would love to get back to normal, but right now need to take a Long Range break.

egarratt

Aug 11, 2005
San Diego
Name
Eddie G
Boat
None
You obviously didn’t bother to read up on hypercapnia which is a legit concern....Must be some libby mask wearing faggot hiding in his rental afraid to ever go out into the world again... have a nice rest of your life Fredo.....
I feel sorry for suffering.

El Taco

May 11, 2014
Name
Gabriel
Boat
Almost
The real question is will you leave it on all night on multi day trips🤔

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Thinking that a broader perspective is required here. The greater risk of contracting Covid is not on the deck in an open air environment but below in the bunk room where everyone is confined in the same room. Even in State Rooms the ventilation system ensures that every one will get some air from every other room.

So now what do we do? Super glue 6 of the KN95 face masks together and duct tape it over the louvers of the ventilation openings.

Let's go fishing !
Walt
The Staterooms on the Intrepid each have their own HVAC system in each stateroom (it's not a split system), I wonder where their return air is located? If it's outside air or from the hallway in the bunk room or galley??? If it's coming from the outside then it wouldn't be a problem with the dirty recycled air from down below.

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Great explanation. The only thing that I’d add is that the cloth masks or face coverings that are being requested are still effective as a measure to minimally catch but also redirect and slow droplets exhaled by the wearer.
So even if they are lose and porous, they still help prevent the spread of the virus to some extent. While not N95 effective at filtering the air you breathe, their purpose is to be more effective than nothing at making the air for others better if you are an asymptomatic carrier. Much like fence slows wind to some extend and tends to build a sand/dust pile at its base.

Also, many of not most N95 masks and respirators have a one way valve, so they do little to stop outgoing particles.

In the medical scenario there are 3 types of masks being used in different clinical settings. Full face supplied air, N95 or surgical. Basically a face cover is like a home made surgical mask, which the function is to protect the patient, not the doctor.

The narrative that the mask protects the user needs to be decoupled from the N95 masks which does both protection and possibly prevention. This is why they are so much more critical for a first responder who is exposed to many more potential cases, specifically symptomatic individuals who are more likely to spread the virus particles at a much higher rate due to coughing and sneezing - things that hopefully someone on a sportboat shouldn’t have, and if they do at least the mask is there to reduce the airborne particle spread.

On the original topic, if masks are a deal breaker, then let your deal be broke. I’m going fishing even if it means wearing a mask.
I'm telling ya someone just has to come up with a product that makes the vapors coming out of your mouth when coughing ,sneezing or talking loud visible to the naked eye and I guarantee the mask arguement will be over

Reactions: pacificscout

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
I got to go fishing a week and a half ago up in the Bay Area. Wearing a mask was not an issue. I was fishing on the Cal Dawn and Captain James was basically asking us to respect the sport and the fleet by wearing masks so they wouldn't get shut down. Sure they came off occasionally for a breath of fresh air. But for fish pictures and when near other boats we put them on out of respect for the sportfishing fleet. Doesn't matter if you're
Halibut Limits on Cal Dawn1.jpg.png
conservative or a liberal....just have respect.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I got to go fishing a week and a half ago up in the Bay Area. Wearing a mask was not an issue. I was fishing on the Cal Dawn and Captain James was basically asking us to respect the sport and the fleet by wearing masks so they wouldn't get shut down. Sure they came off occasionally for a breath of fresh air. But for fish pictures and when near other boats we put them on out of respect for the sportfishing fleet. Doesn't matter if you'reView attachment 1152131 conservative or a liberal....just have respect.
Nice flatties and a boat with a great attitude!

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
By the time we get green lighted, the mask thing will not be an issue. And if it's required, we can handle that minor inconvenience. My skin cancer DR loves the idea of me wearing a face buff 100% of the time on deck anyway.
We hope to be fishing by the 20'th and that's a wish at this point.
With everything else going on, it seems as if the social distancing thing is out the friken window. No spikes after the Memorial day weekend bashes. Now huge groups of protesters in every american city and town. What happened to the Covid death count every friken day? Now the sky is falling from another issue.
These are some strange times folks. I just want to be able to go fishing, breath some fresh ocean air and get off the beach and away from all of this stuff.

eric harner

Caliente Tuna
Oct 7, 2009
Phoenix Hellazona
Name
Azlandlocked
Boat
RRII, PV, the Big X
The answer for me is yes. There is no way I could wear a mask or buff for 10 days when it's 90 degrees out. I'm going to wait it out guys. The last thing I want to do is spend my vacation with a COVID freak you know the guy the wears a mask while driving or walking his damn dog no thank you.....

Last edited:

Phishy Phil

Jun 15, 2019
SoCal
Name
Phil
Boat
Vagbond
My understanding is that the intent will be to maintain social distancing as much as practical. I understand that the maximum load will be decided at least partially on rail space and 6 foot intervals will be marked on the rail. When you do the tuna shuffle, go from mark to mark. When you're just soaking a bait, I would think that you'd be covered by distance and ventilation. Even running up and down the rail, your contact time per individual tends to be brief. When you're all bunched in the corner and trying to get in a gaff, just pull your buff up then. I really think that most people would be fine with that.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
The answer for me is yes. There is no way I could wear a mask or buff for 10 days when it's 90 degrees out. I'm going to wait it out guys. The last thing I want to do is spend my vacation with a COVID freak you know the guy the wears a mask while driving or walking his damn dog no thank you.....
Or asks you where your mask is.

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO.
Name
Doug
Boat
Hobie Kayak
I used to fish on a 23 angler 8 day, 116 foot boat. There was this guy each year who was just the nicest, intelligent and engaging person you could ever ask to be on your trip. Problem was, he was a terrible fisherman. Paying out blue spectra forever, concrete shoes, parked endlessly in the stern corner, tunnel vision, in every tangle, just wouldn't get with the program. I would walk out on deck, locate said angler and put as much space between us as I could before casting out. Never more than 10 minutes later, we were side by side. There is no way to avoid anyone once you are on the boat. No way. It's a floating Petri dish.
That being said, I think you pay your money and take your chances. I have an ultra limited 15 angler 8 day in about 5 months. I plan on going, however if it's still a requirement to wear a mask, well, for me personally, I just couldn't obey the rule and I'll sell my ticket. That's just me. Decide for yourself.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
My understanding is that the intent will be to maintain social distancing as much as practical. I understand that the maximum load will be decided at least partially on rail space and 6 foot intervals will be marked on the rail. When you do the tuna shuffle, go from mark to mark. When you're just soaking a bait, I would think that you'd be covered by distance and ventilation. Even running up and down the rail, your contact time per individual tends to be brief. When you're all bunched in the corner and trying to get in a gaff, just pull your buff up then. I really think that most people would be fine with that.
6 foot apart? Your better hope your bait and and fish practice social distancing and stay in front of you, Or it will be a cluster fuck.

Reactions: marlyn and Wahoover

Phishy Phil

Jun 15, 2019
SoCal
Name
Phil
Boat
Vagbond
No more CF than it always is. As I said, if you're going up and down the rail, contact is brief. When you're standing at the rail, try to stay 6 feet apart. I really think that if we want to go fishing (I do), we can work this out (I will). Limited loads will help a lot with rail space. Any other thoughts?

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
6ft is a meaningless mythical distance that somebody pulled out of their ass. I'm sure two foot is fine if you're upwind and 15 foot isn't if you're downwind. Think of that guy smoking a cigar. If you can smell cigar smoke, you can smell the plague.

6 feet doesn't mean shit. It's time for everybody to use some critical thinking.

The odds of getting sick are incredibly small. The ramifications of getting sick to you and your family are huge. You just need to do the risk assessment and go or don't go.

Let's just stop with the meaningless nonsense.

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Not a deal breaker, quite the contrary. The women I date have always insisted I wear one (even before covid). And I’m more than willing to accommodate...

Good fishin’!
BDC OK

Reactions: pacificscout