James hoag

Catch a fish’n
Mar 10, 2018
Oceanside
Name
James Elliot
Boat
Glaspar
Was just fishing charter in SF, they only allowed less people on the boat. Masks had to be worn getting in out of harbor but after that on the open water it was personal choice. Landed some fat chinook! Singed up with my kids to hit the coronados Wednesday morning!!!
I’m a nurse and have wear a mask 24-7, it literally means nothing to me when fishing is my real passion, just let us on the water damnit. Most of us are willing to do what it takes and mask chaos will pass soon.
B6303977-D2FC-429D-B799-DC13F7F29942.jpeg

effigy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
So much "bad science" on here. The virus particle (actually, a molecule) is hitching a ride on a "respiratory droplet." Those droplets are indeed blocked by certain filters. An N95 is one of many NIOSH-approved respirators. The filter media is actually HEPA media. So it's both the very fine filter media, coupled with a good seal (on a face with no beard, no growth) that will indeed block those droplets quite well.

All of the other materials.... from tight-weave cotton to vacuum cleaner bags...to the near-useless bandana....do have some % efficiency. But the ability to seal on the face is the other piece of the equation.

Statements such as "N95s are worthless" are false. But they have to be worn properly. I'm sure that a few of you work for companies with respiratory protection programs. You had the fit testing, the medical exam: spirometry - testing your lung function. Training. etc. I'm the guy that manages all that irritating stuff (industrial hygienist).

I have my collection of neck gaiters, for sun protection on the water. Unfortunately, the mesh size on them is rather large. If one is interested in being more protective of others, you should use something with a smaller mesh. Or put a piece of finer material in a fold in the gaiter.

From a home improvement reality show, two fine examples of how NOT to wear a respirator. In both cases, absolutely useless. Placebos.

20200531_230250.jpg

Last edited:

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
Yes I would wear one.
When I had a wood/metal business, I wore masks for 30 years...
But if it will open everything up, WTF?

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
It would NOT be a deal maker for me to have to wear a mask. I so much want to go fishing that wearing a mask is no big deal. But if it’s not required, currently, that would be a deal breaker. Masks don’t protect the wearer, they protect everyone else by reducing the distance the virus travels. To be effective everyone has to wear one. Probably only for this year, so let’s just suck it up.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Thanks, Mark, for your post. Good to hear some information that’s not all charged up.

I have decided to stay home and skip the trip on the 15th. Talking it over with my wife (she’s so smart) we decided best to take some time away from crowds of strangers to allow us to have time with our family here and a few close friends without concern that I might pick it up, bring it back, and spread it here. And, the idea of self quarantine for 14 days after the trip isn’t very appealing.

Last edited:

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
Hi Steve. Good to hear from you. Our last trip together on the AA is still a great memory. I'm still eating fish from the trip, and it's in fantastic condition. We'll see you again at some point.....

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat
Kayaks
So much "bad science" on here. The virus particle (actually, a molecule) is hitching a ride on a "respiratory droplet." Those droplets are indeed blocked by certain filters. An N95 is one of many NIOSH-approved respirators. The filter media is actually HEPA media. So it's both the very fine filter media, coupled with a good seal (on a face with no beard, no growth) that will indeed block those droplets quite well.

All of the other materials.... from tight-weave cotton to vacuum cleaner bags...to the near-useless bandana....do have some % efficiency. But the ability to seal on the face is the other piece of the equation.

Statements such as "N95s are worthless" are false. But they have to be worn properly. I'm sure that a few of you work for companies with respiratory protection programs. You had the fit testing, the medical exam: spirometry - testing your lung function. Training. etc. I'm the guy that manages all that irritating stuff (industrial hygienist).

I have my collection of neck gaiters, for sun protection on the water. Unfortunately, the mesh size on them is rather large. If one is interested in being more protective of others, you should use something with a smaller mesh. Or put a piece of finer material in a fold in the gaiter.

From a home improvement reality show, two fine examples of how NOT to wear a respirator. In both cases, absolutely useless. Placebos.

View attachment 1151250
Amen brother-I tried earlier but my mask thread got sent to purgatory for not being of interest to LR!

Reactions: Steve K

Artois

Dec 29, 2011
Artois/CA/USA
Name
Roy
Boat
Not Given
I'm a pretty simple person. If someone coughs or sneezes in my direction, I'd rather they be wearing a mask than not. I look around in my yard for dog poop as I'm walking through, I don't just look to the sky and walk around.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Hypocapnia..... Look it up. It’s real and you can die from it... basically rebreathing your own CO2 for too long, damages your organs.
John,

I looked up Hypocapnia and it is defined as a low level of CO2 in the blood stream. I believe Hypercapnia is what you were referring to.

What is hypercapnia?

Hypercapnia, or hypercarbia, is when you have too much carbon dioxide (CO2) in your bloodstream. It usually happens as a result of hypoventilation, or not being able to breathe properly and get oxygen into your lungs. When your body isn’t getting enough fresh oxygen or getting rid of CO2, you might need to gasp or suddenly inhale a lot of air to balance your levels of oxygen and CO2.

This isn’t always a cause for concern. For example, if your breathing is shallow when you’re sleeping deeply, your body instinctively reacts. You may turn in your bed or wake up suddenly. Your body can then resume normal breathing and get more oxygen into the blood.

Hypercapnia can also be a symptom of underlying conditions that affect your breathing and your blood.

To the OP. No.

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
hell YES! these unnecessary masks sure make it convenient for criminals, rioters, and looters. resist the tyranny. your loss of freedom is only one generation away. what we will eventually see , is the weak minded will be wearing masks even if they don't have to , it's already happening. i'm glad i have my own boat. i'll go hunting, like a man, before i get on a cattle boat , where i'm forced to look like some scared masked pusscake. fuck this fake flu.

Last edited:

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Greensboro North Carolina
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Sorry, but both the waiver and mask are required to board.
Ya figured as much but my trip isn’t until December... worst case Scenario if my trip get canceled or I get cut from trip cause they reduce capacity and I don’t go on trip and buy a boat and go local fishing...

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
The first "official" day they open up....for the sporties.... would be an interesting day to go down to the docks..... and just observe people's reactions. Buying their tickets.... papers to sign. ... tests to take (?) boarding procedures.... All of it. That nights gonna say allot about the sport fishing community..... boat owners, crews, and passengers. A spectacle for sure. May have to get on a boat myself....lol.

I'm praying.... we behave. Any "black eye" would be disastrous. .. for our sport.... and our fleet. Let's not give.city.... county.... or State officials reasons to shut it down again.

Be safe out there.

egarratt

Aug 11, 2005
San Diego
Name
Eddie G
Boat
None
Hypocapnia..... Look it up. It’s real and you can die from it... basically rebreathing your own CO2 for too long, damages your organs. No mask for me...Masks are for cowards who won’t accept the law of natural selection..... if it’s your time.......it’s your time.... just live your life...... or don’t... and hide at home. I’d rather not fish than bend to the will of the weak minded and spineless who think they can impose their shit on others....
Might be the most unintelligent post ever.

Josa1

Jul 17, 2009
San Pedro, CA, USA
Name
Joe
Boat
Red Rooster III
It seems to remain my lay information that the mask I wear doesn't protect me nearly so much as it protects you if I should be infected with the virus and come in contact with you. It seems that a lot of people on this post are saying that the masks mostly protect those that wear them should they come in contact with an infected person, and further, that some of those people are willing to take a chance of infecting themselves rather than wear a mask.
Which do you think is correct? Does a mask do a better job of protecting the wearer or the people that come in contact with the wearer?

josa1

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
Hypocapnia..... Look it up. It’s real and you can die from it... basically rebreathing your own CO2 for too long, damages your organs. No mask for me...Masks are for cowards who won’t accept the law of natural selection..... if it’s your time.......it’s your time.... just live your life...... or don’t... and hide at home. I’d rather not fish than bend to the will of the weak minded and spineless who think they can impose their shit on others....

I breathe my air and you breathe yours.
Let's knot mix.
Unless they are drinks 12.ft apart.
I have Orangutan arms ...

1591073444559.png

Reactions: Artois

jbarbosa

Oct 24, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
Name
John "Rio" Barbosa
Boat
cabo panga
John,

I looked up Hypocapnia and it is defined as a low level of CO2 in the blood stream. I believe Hypercapnia is what you were referring to.

What is hypercapnia?

Hypercapnia, or hypercarbia, is when you have too much carbon dioxide (CO2) in your bloodstream. It usually happens as a result of hypoventilation, or not being able to breathe properly and get oxygen into your lungs. When your body isn’t getting enough fresh oxygen or getting rid of CO2, you might need to gasp or suddenly inhale a lot of air to balance your levels of oxygen and CO2.

This isn’t always a cause for concern. For example, if your breathing is shallow when you’re sleeping deeply, your body instinctively reacts. You may turn in your bed or wake up suddenly. Your body can then resume normal breathing and get more oxygen into the blood.

Hypercapnia can also be a symptom of underlying conditions that affect your breathing and your blood.

To the OP. No.
You are correct... My bad, It’s hyPERcapnia.... Read a bit deeper about it and you’ll see it can result in death...

Last edited:

jbarbosa

Oct 24, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
Name
John "Rio" Barbosa
Boat
cabo panga
Might be the most unintelligent post ever.
You obviously didn’t bother to read up on hypercapnia which is a legit concern....Must be some libby mask wearing faggot hiding in his rental afraid to ever go out into the world again... have a nice rest of your life Fredo.....

Last edited:
Reactions: pacificscout

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
It makes complete sense. How much are you willing to sacrifice to do what you love? Wearing a mask is a tiny sacrifice in order to get out there and fish.
Maybe in some people's opinion, Wearing a mask when your way down the close and tight to the beach and it's 70-80 degrees with a lot of humidity, No Thank You.

Reactions: yakdout

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
If conditions are placed on our trips, whether 1/2 day or 8 day, it will come from the San Diego County Board of Supervisors. Let’s hope they concur with authorities to the north, from San Francisco down to Dana Landing. I’m test driving a couple of masks for extended wear, both cloth and lightweight surgical.

I need to decide go/no go on a trip scheduled for departure on June 15. I’m leaning towards cancellation and rolling the deposit forward to one of the next trips, August or October.

Hope to read good news after the Tuesday meeting.
You would have better fishing and weather holding off until'l August and hopefully things may get loosened up a bit.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Was just fishing charter in SF, they only allowed less people on the boat. Masks had to be worn getting in out of harbor but after that on the open water it was personal choice. Landed some fat chinook! Singed up with my kids to hit the coronados Wednesday morning!!!
I’m a nurse and have wear a mask 24-7, it literally means nothing to me when fishing is my real passion, just let us on the water damnit. Most of us are willing to do what it takes and mask chaos will pass soon.
That's the attitude all boats need to adapt, After all your in International waters.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
I just love fishing so much that I would wear a pink thong if that’s what we were told to do if we want to sling jigs off the bow of a sport boat. I mean look on the bright side- I would have one hell of a tan....
remind me to check to make sure youarent in my cabin before I fish long range alone

Reactions: pacificscout

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none

View attachment 1151250
Great explanation. The only thing that I’d add is that the cloth masks or face coverings that are being requested are still effective as a measure to minimally catch but also redirect and slow droplets exhaled by the wearer.
So even if they are lose and porous, they still help prevent the spread of the virus to some extent. While not N95 effective at filtering the air you breathe, their purpose is to be more effective than nothing at making the air for others better if you are an asymptomatic carrier. Much like fence slows wind to some extend and tends to build a sand/dust pile at its base.

Also, many of not most N95 masks and respirators have a one way valve, so they do little to stop outgoing particles.

In the medical scenario there are 3 types of masks being used in different clinical settings. Full face supplied air, N95 or surgical. Basically a face cover is like a home made surgical mask, which the function is to protect the patient, not the doctor.

The narrative that the mask protects the user needs to be decoupled from the N95 masks which does both protection and possibly prevention. This is why they are so much more critical for a first responder who is exposed to many more potential cases, specifically symptomatic individuals who are more likely to spread the virus particles at a much higher rate due to coughing and sneezing - things that hopefully someone on a sportboat shouldn’t have, and if they do at least the mask is there to reduce the airborne particle spread.

On the original topic, if masks are a deal breaker, then let your deal be broke. I’m going fishing even if it means wearing a mask.