Are fish counts accurate? My experience...

El pescator

Sep 14, 2013
Point Loma
Name
Ed
Boat
20' Customized Aquasport
Just finished a 2.5 day on the Poseidon from 10-3 to 10-6. The weather gods we’re good to us and so was the fishing on day 2. Friday was a slow day for us but we did manage somewhere under 20 fish for the day. Hardly wide open but it wasn’t a skunk. Saturday was a much better day where we put a mixed bag of YF, BF and Skippies on. Pretty good actually. We boated over 100 fish for 26 guys. Solid day. Hunter (The Captain) found them for us and everyone had a good time! Trip saved!!! Good job Hunter and crew.....

Out of curiosity, I jumped on the common website we all go on when I got home this morning to listen to the daily reports for the very slow Friday that we experienced. I was shocked to hear that H&M Landing’s wrap up report had us (The Poseidon), The Constitution and Endeavor all with limits of Yellowfin. What?????

I can’t speak for the other two boats that day for the obvious reason that I wasn’t on them but I can say I know how we did. The Captain called in an accurate account of our day that was also published. My question is is this:

Is just a simple mistake? Or is this something that needs attention? I assume a lot of folks go based on these counts. I understand it’s a business but this report was grossly overstated. Doesn’t seem fair to me knowing how far people travel and how much they pay for spot on a boat based on these reports.

I understand calling the landing and bringing this to their attention needs to happen and will be doing so. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
Reactions: GaffnLaff

Hismosa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
It's just like any commercial you see on TV, everything is inflated/exaggerated. Do you call Chevy/Ford when you don't get the MPG as advertised on commercial?

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
As the talking heads say
"Same as it ever was"

El pescator

Sep 14, 2013
Point Loma
Name
Ed
Boat
20' Customized Aquasport
It's just like any commercial you see on TV, everything is inflated/exaggerated. Do you call Chevy/Ford when you don't get the MPG as advertised on commercial?

I get that but I don’t feel that this is a good analogy. It would be one thing if they advertised 50 MPG and your car got 5MPG. We got less than 20 fish. Limits for 26 people is not exaggerated or embellished, it’s a grossly overstated lie.

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
I get that but I don’t feel that this is a good analogy. It would be one thing if they advertised 50 MPG and your car got 5MPG. We got less than 20 fish. Limits for 26 people is not exaggerated or embellished, it’s a grossly overstated lie.
Just listened to Hunters report, sounds spot on to what you reported. Slow first day, good second day.

Reactions: jer dog

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Just listened to Hunters report, sounds spot on to what you reported. Slow first day, good second day.
There are 2 reports. The second day report sounds like what the op said was caught. There is a report on the previous day that says limits of yellowfin though.

Reactions: esgeo

Donaldson

Jun 10, 2015
Name
Brian
Boat
Trinity
I was on a charter on 9/11/19 we cought (3) yellowfin. I got home very surprised to see the boat post 77 yellowfin caught. We didnt even get 15 hook ups that day it was very tuff fishing. Bottom line don't always trust what you read.

Reactions: Cubeye

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Just finished a 2.5 day on the Poseidon from 10-3 to 10-6. The weather gods we’re good to us and so was the fishing on day 2. Friday was a slow day for us but we did manage somewhere under 20 fish for the day. Hardly wide open but it wasn’t a skunk. Saturday was a much better day where we put a mixed bag of YF, BF and Skippies on. Pretty good actually. We boated over 100 fish for 26 guys. Solid day. Hunter (The Captain) found them for us and everyone had a good time! Trip saved!!! Good job Hunter and crew.....

Out of curiosity, I jumped on the common website we all go on when I got home this morning to listen to the daily reports for the very slow Friday that we experienced. I was shocked to hear that H&M Landing’s wrap up report had us (The Poseidon), The Constitution and Endeavor all with limits of Yellowfin. What?????

I can’t speak for the other two boats that day for the obvious reason that I wasn’t on them but I can say I know how we did. The Captain called in an accurate account of our day that was also published. My question is is this:

Is just a simple mistake? Or is this something that needs attention? I assume a lot of folks go based on these counts. I understand it’s a business but this report was grossly overstated. Doesn’t seem fair to me knowing how far people travel and how much they pay for spot on a boat based on these reports.

I understand calling the landing and bringing this to their attention needs to happen and will be doing so. Has anyone else experienced this?
Hello Ed, that was the other web sites fault.
I read it to on Saturday,
and they said full day limits,
and I was thinking that my
friend, who was on your trip
was having a good start to his trip.
Before the Internet,
every once in a while, they would add
a two day trip, to the one
day counts, to pad the counts,
and you would hear, over
1000 Albie's caught for that day,
then get to the landing and find out
that only 200 were caught.
At least you guys
did well on day two.

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff

Maybe you misunderstood. The Endeavor runs out of Seaforth. It would be unusual for H&M to report their fish count.

We returned from the Mission Belle on Sunday with 14 YFT. The fleet whacked them. But the Belle reported an accurate fish count.

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
15' Gregor Baja Special "Silver Bullet II"
The Poseidon and Constitution are both owned by the same person.

The Endeavor, recently purchased and owned by Tucker McCombs, is a very fishy and trustworthy vessel.

Reactions: Crayonator

Cheeseburger Killer

Beloved Son
Mar 27, 2018
So Very Cal
Name
Kent
Boat
Selling It...
There are no “simple mistakes” in the fish counts. Bottom line: Exaggerated numbers attract customers, and therefore honesty is seldom in the picture.
It’s unfortunate for the occasional boat that is truthful about their counts, because you have no idea who to trust. BDO is a far better snapshot of what is going on out there than the published fish counts...

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I catch a hundred plus fish on my boat every trip. I don’t usually mention that the vast majority of that number is sardines from the bait receiver.

Reactions: Paddyman1

Paddyman1

A mossback is better than a hairy back
Nov 7, 2010
La Costa Izquierda
Name
Steve
Boat
N/A

Based on some of the irregular sentences and strange typos I've read on that common site over the years, I'd have to believe the person inputting updates might be tipping the jug quite frequently throughout the day, where they seem to be focused on advertising rather than accuracy. But then again, do fishermen (and women) always convey 100% accuracy? :drunk

Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac
Last year I experienced over reporting of numbers on a 2.5 day and then the next 2.5 day trip on another boat they under reported.

I had a great chat with the second boats first mate/alternate captain and he said they’re not after the internet crowd, they just want to kill fish.

Reactions: El pescator

Alan

Dec 15, 2003
Ventura
atlantisutility.com
Name
Alan
Boat
Skipjack 25
Interesting post. I was on a Ventura sportboat last year and we whacked the seabass. The report that night showed only a couple caught on the boat that day. I called the landing and asked why and they said it keeps the smaller private boats away from chasing them all day.

Reactions: Ulua_93h

El pescator

Sep 14, 2013
Point Loma
Name
Ed
Boat
20' Customized Aquasport
I have been on trips and then later checked out the counts on websites and yes sometimes they are off. Mostly with inflated numbers. Is it the boats reporting or the website, who knows or cares?

If boats can only get riders by their fish count alone, well that say's something about the boat, doesn't it?

I charter mastered a trip on the same boat for 20 years strait. This Long Range boat only has like 3 open party trips per year. The rest are repeat charters.

This boat never posts fish counts but sometimes people on their trips do in threads and such. Those never end up on the fish count reports.

I asked the owner/operator why he never posts fish counts and he said to me "it's like a gorilla pounding his chest" and that was not his nature.

Would that boat happen to be The Spirit of Adventure?

Wasitrytofish

Well-Known "Member"
May 1, 2012
Monrovia ca united states
Name
Glen Mitchell
Boat
Sea Fox 248 Commander
go fishing because you love to fish or just simply, it gets you away from the pressures of life. 1 hour, 6 hours or a 3 day trip.
book it and go. make it a part of your lifestyle.

i read the DFG harvest reports on big game in my zones of choice. they are HORRIBLE. i still buy all the tags I can. because I love being out there, period.

go get’m boys!

vinniethefish

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 19, 2016
Cave Creek, AZ
Name
Vince Borrego
Boat
2006 Skeeter
I was on the Old Glory on Tues 10/8. The numbers are accurate. Pictures are worth a 1,000 words so try following a few boats on Instagram and look for customer photos who tag their boat. Should give you a good idea when trying to narrow down a boat for your trip.

They also had a less than stellar day on Mom Oct 7 and posted the true numbers. There was a guy on our boat who fished back to back both days from Utah and said they had a lot of casualties due to rental rods and inexperienced anglers. They only landed 38 YFT that day and it was post at the landing white board and on the other site.

1EEE3996-04E7-45DF-9E5C-8DFC9D867A4E.jpeg
32365879-C1C1-419A-B34D-8DCD788B31C0.jpeg

E035FD88-64CE-4325-9238-D1E33B3406A3.png

Last edited: