Are certain areas in Marinas off limits to fish?

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
First of all . They should have arrested him for BFO ( Being fucking obnoxious)
If you are fishing you need to show your license to any LEO when asked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 5, 2008
Descanso
Name
Tom
Boat
20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
As a boater and member of a marina one of the many rules is no fishing. One of the many obvious reasons is a bad cast with an once of lead can cause expensive damage to a hull port hole etc. Not to mention what the hook attached to braid could do to an enclosure or a sail. I'm going to assume every cast this guy makes is spot on and this would never be an issue for him. If not for rules like such there would probably be a lot of damage occurring by people that cant cast as well as this guy. I'm sorry I like to fish as much as the next guy but please don't cast jig heads in close proximity to any boat. Its not only the wrong thing to do its just not cool and just gives us all a bad name. There are a lot of fisherman in the Marinas and there are also a lot of non fisherman in the Marinas. If I had to guess neither would feel the way this guy does. Sorry no sympathy here.

Upvote 0

crabdancer

Kook
Apr 18, 2012
LA/Santa Cruz
Name
Shannon
Boat
Edgewater
Oh this guy's a piece of work.

Fishing isn't allowed in the Port of Los Angeles except for areas outside of the last rip rap walls before the breakwall. Marinas and anywhere else in the inner harbor are off limits but folks who pay rent there do fish. I don't see a problem with that. This guy probably wouldn't have had a problem if he wasn't running his mouth in the middle of the day right next to the easiest spot to walk.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
As a boater and member of a marina one of the many rules is no fishing. One of the many obvious reasons is a bad cast with an once of lead can cause expensive damage to a hull port hole etc. Not to mention what the hook attached to braid could do to an enclosure or a sail. I'm going to assume every cast this guy makes is spot on and this would never be an issue for him. If not for rules like such there would probably be a lot of damage occurring by people that cant cast as well as this guy. I'm sorry I like to fish as much as the next guy but please don't cast jig heads in close proximity to any boat. Its not only the wrong thing to do its just not cool and just gives us all a bad name. There are a lot of fisherman in the Marinas and there are also a lot of non fisherman in the Marinas. If I had to guess neither would feel the way this guy does. Sorry no sympathy here.
I've noticed that putting yourself in someone else's place seems incredibly rare these days ..tunnel vision is rampant.

Upvote 0

Ashearer76

Jul 19, 2014
Whittier
Name
Adam
Boat
I wish..
Oh this guy's a piece of work.

Fishing isn't allowed in the Port of Los Angeles except for areas outside of the last rip rap walls before the breakwall. Marinas and anywhere else in the inner harbor are off limits but folks who pay rent there do fish. I don't see a problem with that. This guy probably wouldn't have had a problem if he wasn't running his mouth in the middle of the day right next to the easiest spot to walk.
Do you have any documentation you could share about the marinas being off limits? As far as I know it's totally legal.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
was he trespassing..........no

was he breaking the marinas no fishing "rules".......no, he never engaged in a contract agreeing to abide by their rules

is float tubing in slips a good idea.....probably not

were LEOS patient.....yes

was this worth drawing your line in the sand over......not in my opinion.

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
You don't have to show your fishing license to LEO just fish and game and some park rangers. Pretty sure you do have to id yourself though.
As far as fishing you can fish the shit out of harbors if you want. They have tournaments and all kinds of crap. Have no idea where that comes from
Whole lot of doucebaggyniess on everyone's part on the whole deal. Guy could have left when asked. likely a couple cars were ripped off while all 5 of them were rousting that guy. Nice to know we're all safer with those pesky fisherman in check
But most importantly how was the fishing?

Reactions: Ashearer76
Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
This has already been fought in court a few years ago and the fisherman won. Local attorney Bill Hokstad fought the case for Karl and won. Any open water is open to fishing. Check out the case.

SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA

FOR THE COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES
CITY OF LONG BEACH
THE PEOPLE v. KARL F. ERBACHER Case No.: 1LG11148

Upvote 0

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
You don't have to show your fishing license to LEO just fish and game and some park rangers. Pretty sure you do have to id yourself though.

I guess I effed up when the Coast Guard asked me and everyone on board my boat for both Mexican and California fishing licenses when we coming back from the 302 with YFT a few years ago.

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I got the idea from a F&W warden, think about for a minute. You think a cop will cite you for a short cuda or something? Or fishing without a license? 2 totally different deals, Coast Guard too, not something they enforce. If they asked I would certianly give it to them, total douce move not to just saying you don't legally have too. I found a simple yes sir no sir attitude will lead to a better outcome 99% of the time with LEOs. Or you could go the route of this dumbass and get in a pissing contest that you can't possibly win

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Those who would give up their rights for expediency deserve no rights,

The guy may have been annoying, but he broke no law, and the cops knew it.
Those that are charged with protecting your rights are the first to violate them.

Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Those who would give up their rights for expediency deserve no rights,

The guy may have been annoying, but he broke no law, and the cops knew it.
Those that are charged with protecting your rights are the first to violate them.

Dude could have just flippered his way away, retained every right that he started the day out with, and not caused a "situation". but no. He had to give these officers a bad taste in their mouths for the next guy.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

• Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Dude could have just flippered his way away, retained every right that he started the day out with, and not caused a "situation". but no. He had to give these officers a bad taste in their mouths for the next guy.
    Or he made the officers aware that they were in the wrong and will no longer pester law abiding citizens.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Off the docks yes,usually posted on public boat ramp docks,not sure of private.
    In a float tube around the docks,no...you knew that already.

Upvote 0