Archery Elk opener Colorado Report - Rocking R Ranch

Discussion in 'Mammal Hunting Reports' started by Jason, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    Got out to Colorado on Tuesday to hunt bull elk for the first season archery hunt at Rocking R Ranch Http://www.rockinghunting.com

Yesterday we saw nothing under a 5x5 but couldn't close the gap to take a shot.

Today was the same but the elk were bugling a lot more. This evening is looking good.

One of the hunters had a buck tag and took a buck at 45 yards. This buck is pretty much a cookie cutter size here as the deer never get hunted.

IMG_20150904_100937.jpg

IMG_20150904_093233.jpg

IMG_20150903_171954.jpg

IMG_20150904_082858.jpg

One_Leg and kbray001 like this.
  2. Jason

Name:
    Jason
    Pouring rain.
    image.jpg

3. Jason

Name:
    Jason
    Headed up to another lease for a hike.
    image.jpg

4. Fish Asassin

Fish Asassin one cast = one kill

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    No update. Hope he scored!!

5. Jason

Name:
    Jason
    Stayed out late last night in a thunderstorm. Hiked 1000' vertical way back in to one of Rocking R's leases backed up against National Forest. Had 3 bulls bugling but couldn't get them to move. Saw dozens of young cows. The rain had them sticking to the trees.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Chris the ranch manager (our guide) tried his hardest to get us on elk again last night but they just wouldn't cooperate. Back at it again this morning. Headed back to where we saw all the elk yesterday AM.

Got back super late last night and had a killer local caught crawfish dinner.
    image.jpg

6. Fish Asassin

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    Go get 'em Jason. Nice elk country but looks tough for a bow hunt if they wont come to a call. They should be moving today for you. By the photos it looks like a set up to ambush in a feeding zone because it looks like theres grass feed everywhere.They will come out late. At least theyre bugling for you to locate. A calf call should get the cows moving first, bull may follow. Elk are tough to stalk with a bow. You'll call a 6 point out today!! Stick em!

Resist the temptation to think," I WISH I HAD MY RIFLE", hahaha

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  7. Jason

Name:
    Jason
    Super busy night last night. 2 elk down. A 6 point recovered and packed out. A 5 point that my buddy Todd shot high in the shoulder. Worked the blood trail until 10pm and left it alone as we were pushing too many other elk and the blood trail went dry. Will try again this morning.
    I got 8 yards from 2 bedded 4x4 deer, pretty fun. They never busted me.

Headed out now to see if we can get the other Bulls to walk the string.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

image.jpg

8. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    Great story Jason....Thanks for taking the time. Can't wait to hear the rest

9. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    Should have told Todd to shoot it in the head...
    Get u some.

10. Jason

Name:
    Jason
    Started off the day watching a huge herd of elk run off the ridge and in to the pasture right at day break. There were a few straggles and we had them confused calling them back. A 5 point, cow and her calf decided they didn't want to leave the invisible fake cow behind and bee lines for us. The cow went in front of my shooting lane at 26 yards, the bull was headed in to my lane at 23 yards. I drew back and held it behind the bush, he kept coming and then the stupid calf cut him off and ran behind us at 8 yards. It didn't even wind us. The bull then decided to run behind us as well, I had no shot. We worked him for the next 40 minutes while my legs numbed up and my feet started cramping from kneeling.
    He got wind of us but his calf would t leave and we were between them and the cow. The cow was going nuts trying to get them to come back in front of us but we ended up losing site of the bull and calf. We made a move to get our wind advantage back again ur ended up not seeing him again.
    Ali got a shot off today as well on a 5x5, still looking for that one.
    We searched all morning and mid day and didn't find Todds.
    I'm back out in a couple of hours.
    image.jpg

Messed with this stupid yearling. She had no idea what we were.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

11. Professor

Professor Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Yale
    Boat:
    32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
    They never do what you want them to. Perhaps this evening will be the charm

12. pura vida

pura vida Pura Vida II

Name:
    Gene Miller
    Boat:
    Pura Vida II, 500 mile range
    What a beautiful spot to hunt. Please keep up the great post

13. Fish Asassin

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    Get 'em Jason! Thanks for the reports, gets my adrenelin going.. Dont shoot the one with the yellow ear tag!

14. Jason

Name:
    Jason
    Last night we tried a Hail Mary spot way up on a cliff in the aspen trees where Ali and Ken had seen 100+ elk cross over to. It didn't work out as everything was quiet. It seems that mornings are best right now as others didn't see or hear any elk in the evening hunt.

Back at it again this morning, going back for that 5x5 we worked yesterday.

Ali and Todd are out, they drew blood but never recovered.

If we were using rifles we would have been done long ago...

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

One_Leg and EZYGOING like this.
  15. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Those are some thick quakies

16. Jason

Name:
    Jason
    Went back to where I almost had a shot day before yesterday. The herd had moved across the property line. The Bulls had all the cows rounded up and every time we would try to pull a group off the big 6x6 would coral them all back up. We watched them move up in to a tall mountain range with no way to get to them.
    The place was littered with deer still.
    image.jpg image.jpg

17. OutKasting

OutKasting Member

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    none
    Wow some nice deer and terrain!

Good luck Jason.

18. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Ali told me rifles were GAY!Tom

marlyn likes this.
  19. Jason

Name:
    Jason
    Last evening hunt at Rocking R Ranch. One of the most exciting hunts yet.

Started off sitting in a stand waiting for the elk to start talking.
    Todd and Chris were bored while I sat and waited.
    image.jpg
    Nothing showed so we started hiking to another stand. Came across a huge bear shit. Take note of this for later in the report.
    image.jpg
    We weren't but 100 yards from where I was sitting in the tripod when we got a glimpse of a cow elk eating under another tree stand. Went to our bellies and crawled up to a knoll to see if she was with any other elk. We could only see her and it was the last day so I was prepared to take a cow for food.
    Chris let out a cow call to see if she was interested. The cow bolted up the hill to the left and a calf started going nuts running around in front of us yelping.
    Then it happens. 340"+ bull got up out of the wallow near the stand. He was covered in mud and looked like the meanest thing in the forest. He let out a huge bugle 90 yards from us. He then started charging down the hill at us. I load an arrow and get behind a bush to the side while Chris drops back and does another cow call to get me a good shot.
    As soon as I stand up behind the bush the fucking calf just about jumps in to Chris' lap before busting me. 6-8 yards away I'm in a staring game with the calf while big daddy is pissed off and charging at us. Calf busts out to the left and bull goes to the right at around 25 yards. We know he's trying to get our wind after jr just busted us, we could hear him pissed off grunting and crashing through the brush. We all knew what was up without even talking. Hauled ass in full run back down the hill to keep our wind and set up on him coming around the trail. While running down the trail Todd was laughing at us as we all took an odd step when we came upon the huge shit while running down the trail. The discussion after the play wasn't about the play its self it was about avoiding the shit as top priority while setting up.
    Big daddy didn't come around as he wised up and probably looped around to gather his cows again... My heart has never pounded so hard. That bull was pissed off thinking we were taking his cows.

We cut along the hill side right around 200 yards to where we thought the cow had taken off to. Let out some bugles and had two takers. 1 high and 1 low. The wind was swirling and we decided to take the lower bull as he was more interested and had the better wind. Set up again and waited as he got closer. I started coughing but was trying to control it to every time the elk would bugle or chuckle.

While calling to him big daddy started answering back again. Knowing what was up the hill we abandoned the one we were working and sprinted through brush the full 200 yards right back up to work the monster. Chris the guide was shaking as it was the biggest bull he has seen on the property this year. We set up again to where I would have a 10-12 yard shot as he came out in to the field. Chris went to work bugling and he responded. We played him until I couldn't see my pins anymore. He was too smart and wouldn't come down from the aspen trees he was in 80 yards away. He had count of his cows and wasn't going to bring anyone else in to the family this evening.

Bummed I didn't send an arrow but I learned a ton. I have a ton of respect for those taking elk with a bow and arrow. There was a lot of 4-6 mile hikes every trip out which killed my fat ass for the first 3 days.

Rocking R Ranch has 4 spots left in the rifle season. A couple BD guys already signed up for 3rd rifle season. Hopefully they can represent BD better than we did!

They just set up some new blinds that are going to be insane for rifle hunting. The stands can get shots out to 400+ yards. Big daddy is still out there, go get him!
    image.jpg

As I lay here in bed writing this up on my phone I just heard 3 bugles come from Rocking R's ranch across the road. One of them might be that pissed off bull.

In 4 hours we start the 15 hour migration back to San Diego. I had better get some sleep...

image.jpg

EZYGOING and One_Leg like this.
  20. Professor

Professor Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Yale
    Boat:
    32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
    The thrill of the hunt.... Great write up Jason