Keta

Ignorant Sheep Farmer
Nov 13, 2005
Still in Oregon
Name
Lee
Boat
3' Too Short
....Are you aware that, during World War II, soldiers from Hawaii used the local lingo to keep the Nazis from understanding Allied radio transmissions? Are you a Nazi? Perhaps we're communicating fishing secrets and don't want you to know them!......
I'm fluent in Frontier Gibberish and use English as my "second language" but I have to read Island Speak a few times to understand it. I eventually get it though.

Whalebreath

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 6, 2008
Vancouver BC
Name
Carl Z
Boat
Are you aware that, during World War II, soldiers from Hawaii used the local lingo to keep the Nazis from understanding Allied radio transmissions?
You're a little mixed up there my little wahine-it was the Navajo language

Are you a Nazi? Perhaps we're communicating fishing secrets and don't want you to know them!
Maybe you're a bunch of primary school dropouts-maybe not.

But if you talk like a primary school dropout what do you expect?

this thread has officially turned retarded....
Pretty much Yeah.

MANAPUA MAN

May 10, 2009
HONOLULU HAWAII
Name
CAPPY
Boat
23' TROPHY W/A "KEKILIA"

Hmmmmmmm............ Navajo?
And here all this time I thought the Navajo "Wind Talkers" were only used in the Pacific Theater during WWII............
Goes to show I better catch up on my movie history.....

ahi lawaia

Jan 17, 2008
Hawaii
Name
CP
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 21

Maybe you're a bunch of primary school dropouts-maybe not.

But if you talk like a primary school dropout what do you expect?
:rofl:Whalebreath - Your lack of credibility is showing. Did you not even read your own link? It specifically says that the Navajo served in the Pacific Theater, where there were no Nazis to speak of. Hawaii's soldiers in the 100th Bn 442nd RCT fought the Nazis in the European Theater and became the most highly decorated unit of their size in US Army history.

:rofl:Whoa there, genius, this is an internet forum and I don't hear anyone "talking". It sure looks like we're writing, not talking, albeit you are blowing hard, not to mention writing in incomplete sentences, something most learn not to do in grade school grammar class. Besides, what does it matter to you how we communicate with each other? Just because you might not understand what we write does not mean we are not effectively communicating with each other.

But, a wise man once told me that one cannot win an argument with an idiot and that one should not get into a pissing contest with a skunk so, on both counts, I will allow you the last word while I laugh the last laugh. :rofl:

The forum moderator ought to close this thread, it's done! :Emoticon_Potty_Time

oldmanadam

May 17, 2009
kailua,hi
Name
adam lahne
Boat
22' fiberform "amateur hour"
what about rigging an archer bar, or similar product, with those small malolo lures instead of squids? seems like it would be a killer on those days when the malolo are flying everywhere

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
what about rigging an archer bar, or similar product, with those small malolo lures instead of squids? seems like it would be a killer on those days when the malolo are flying everywhere
People do rig spreader bars of all different kinds with birds of various types but you are adding a significant amount of drag.

The bars make quite a bit of surface commotion with the squids jumping out of the water when the bars ride up and over waves etc. So, if sized appropriately they will simulate a flying fish bite just fine.

Boatrob

Got fish?
Aug 25, 2009
Kailua/Oahu/Hawaii
Name
Rob
Boat
26' Glacierbay twin Honda 150's "KUA"
Had loads of success on the smaller 4.75" bars at the bouys for small kine fish but waiting to have a bigger meatball get nailed by something fierce!

ahi lawaia

Jan 17, 2008
Hawaii
Name
CP
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 21
oldmanadam, johndtuttle, and Boatrob - Thank you very much for getting this thread back on topic. :appl:

oldmanadam - johndtuttle is akamai and his reply regarding the malolo-looking lures is right on. The lighter hollow squids used on an Archer bar will do a better job of acting like real malolo (skipping on the surface) than the heavier malolo-looking lures, even though those might look more like real malolo. Plus, the hollow squids will stand up better to any fish abuse than the malolo-looking lures which are softer and will rip/tear.

Boatrob - Good to see that the bars have been working for you on the buoy fish but don't worry that the big fish won't hit those same bars. I had an ahi hit a 4.75" Archer bar but lost it when the hook pulled (my bad - didn't tell the cranker to go faster to keep tension when turning to go down sea). The main leader and rigging on an Archer bar can handle big fish so just make sure whatever chasebait you're using has leader and rigging that can do so too. If the bait in the area is small just run your bars with the similar sized teasers, and hang on! Good going again on your first ahi of the year; go hanapaa another one, good luck on Tuesday.

molokaipake

May 8, 2008
Kaunakakai, Molokai, USA
Name
capt clay
Boat
24 foot power catamaran, "Hallelujah Hou", 18 foot Prima Sea flatsboat, "Keu" for flyfishing
Okay everybody hold on to your hats now. Back to the bars, stay focused now, we're not talking war stories or venacular, we're talking fishing here.

The biggest fish to date for me hooked on a bar was an estimated 5-600 lb Donkey of a Marlin. It was hooked last year on my birthday and it was hooked on a fatboy bar with the nuclear 15 inch chase pink/white chase bait. It also had a big Hayes hook on it, looked like a four inch gaff hook, seriously. Buy one and you'll see what I mean. I also caught an Ono on the same bar before it went bye bye.

I'm waiting for my first big Ahi on one, but to date have caught Otaru, Mahi, Ono and Ahi in the 25 lb size at the Fads. If anything,don't limit the size of fish that a bar can catch. Its only limited by the size of your imagination. I always have at least one in my pattern because I believe in them. I think any fish will bite them. Don't limit them to specific fish, everything will bite a bar, you just have to be willing to give them a try. Expand your mental and fishing horizons.........

munsen13

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 4, 2009
Molokai
Name
IA
Boat
17' Montauk
I concur with the Molokaipake about that marlin hit on the pink/white "fatboy" bar. I was on the boat that day when it snapped the outrigger in shallow water and it surfaced with all the squids on the side of its face (moneyshot picture). I was trippin out. First time I seen some marlin action.

the_codfather

Sep 30, 2009
Bluewater
Name
Leon
Boat
19' Micronesia Marine Pilothouse, 'ONO'
I like to run at least one at all times, on the inside corner or rigger. Meatballs do best inside because they are bigger and have a heavier bar but my pro-bar works just fine on the short rigger. Also, make yourself a toad and run it, Im a firm believe in a good teaser.