Aq290 trim cylinder repair the easy way

bob311

• Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    23' sanger alleycat
    Well I looked all over and couldn't find a way to repair my leaky trim cylinder on a aq290. I also got some pretty expensive quotes saying the whole drive needs to be removed and or the engine!

I decided to give it a try and it seems pretty easy, so far..

Step 1 - disconnect the trim pins from the trim drive linkage

step 2 - hoist up the outdrive and tye it up with a strap

Step 3 - use a 13mm crows foot and a long extension to remove the two hydraulic lines from the valve body

Step 4 - use a big crescent wrench and remove the valve block and cylinder

Step 5 - clean it up and separate the valve body from the cylinder, i used a rubber strap wrench and crescent wrench. A bench vise would have made things easier.

Step 6 - remove the piston from the ram stem, use a rubber strap wrench for this so you don't scar the piston.

Step 7 - replace all seals with the kit supplied from five-star marine, this is really easy especially if you soak them in hot water to soften up the plastic and rubber.

Step 8 - re assemble in reverse...

My cylinder was in pretty bad shape so I decided to sand it all smooth and give it a few coats of cold galvanized paint with extra zink. I will be putting it all back together tomorrow and see is there are any more leaks.

20210421_185928.jpg

20210421_182943.jpg

20210421_181758.jpg

20210421_181753.jpg

20210421_185432.jpg

20210421_190633.jpg

20210429_172713.jpg

Reactions: SkipJack Boats

bob311

• Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    23' sanger alleycat
    Update. Every thing is back together and holding good. No leaks and smooth as can be. I highly suggest every one take this approach if in the same situation.

One thing to note: when spinning the assembly back together it did not tighten fully at 12 o'clock. It was closer to 2, I tried several times and thats where it stayed. Either way don't be afraid the rubber orings do their job and keep the fluid in even if the cylinder feels like it could be tighter.

20210430_183455.jpg

Upvote 0

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack
    Well I looked all over and couldn't find a way to repair my leaky trim cylinder on a aq290. I also got some pretty expensive quotes saying the whole drive needs to be removed and or the engine!

I decided to give it a try and it seems pretty easy, so far..

Step 1 - disconnect the trim pins from the trim drive linkage

step 2 - hoist up the outdrive and tye it up with a strap

Step 3 - use a 13mm crows foot and a long extension to remove the two hydraulic lines from the valve body

Step 4 - use a big crescent wrench and remove the valve block and cylinder

Step 5 - clean it up and separate the valve body from the cylinder, i used a rubber strap wrench and crescent wrench. A bench vise would have made things easier.

Step 6 - remove the piston from the ram stem, use a rubber strap wrench for this so you don't scar the piston.

Step 7 - replace all seals with the kit supplied from five-star marine, this is really easy especially if you soak them in hot water to soften up the plastic and rubber.

Step 8 - re assemble in reverse...

My cylinder was in pretty bad shape so I decided to sand it all smooth and give it a few coats of cold galvanized paint with extra zink. I will be putting it all back together tomorrow and see is there are any more leaks.

View attachment 1275692

View attachment 1275693

View attachment 1275694

View attachment 1275695

View attachment 1275696

View attachment 1275697

View attachment 1275698
    way better then a shop manual. Great Job!

Upvote 0

Stringer

Idiot Savant
    Jul 7, 2005
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Stringer
    Boat
    25 Skipjack FB
    Here's another tip to remove the ram from the stem. I drilled a couple holes in the end of the ram that fits my angle grinder wrench. Doesn't affect the performance of the ram, makes removal and reassembly a snap, and will keep the ram from getting scarred up.
    Skippy.jpg

Upvote 0