Inshore April 25 North Tower Golden Gate Bridge Rockfish Report

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    I took a quick trip to fish just under the north tower of the bridge this morning with my dad. We were aiming for rockfish and were somewhat successful. We fished from about 6:30 am to 9:30 am. We came in as the wind cranked up. Traffic was noticeably light. I didn't see any other people fishing, and there were few people on the water in general. No one was fishing the shore, either. The rain really kept the crowd at home.

We jigged swimbaits and flys with squid chunks over drops in water ranging from 40 feet to 150 feet. All of our action was in the top half of that range. We caught a bunch of little brown rockfish and kept two larger ones. We had one big miss.

Not bad for a few hours in the morning!

A08AE98A-7642-4A86-B6E1-0BA6F341CCAE.jpeg

Last edited:

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Fish that same area when I was a kid. The view alone was memorable. Thanks for the memories.

Upvote 0

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    Fish that same area when I was a kid. The view alone was memorable. Thanks for the memories.
    I'm happy you had a good time there! I usually launch right there in front of the Coast Guard station as I live about two miles away. We fish close to the bridge when the weather is rough, which it is a lot fo the time. It's a five minute run back into the harbor. I'm new to fishing the Marin Coast, so I'm gradually exploring both into the Bay and out along the Headlands.

Reactions: ThomasO and robn
    Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I took a quick trip to fish just under the north tower of the bridge this morning with my dad. We were aiming for rockfish and were somewhat successful. We fished from about 6:30 am to 9:30 am. We came in as the wind cranked up. Traffic was noticeably light. I didn't see any other people fishing, and there were few people on the water in general. No one was fishing the shore, either. The rain really kept the crowd at home.

We jigged swimbaits and flys with squid chunks over drops in water ranging from 40 feet to 150 feet. All of our action was in the top half of that range. We caught a bunch of little brown rockfish and kept two larger ones. We had one big miss.

Not bad for a few hours in the morning!

View attachment 1274551
    Fish tacos.

Upvote 0

robn

Jan 5, 2015
    SF, LA, SD
    Name
    robn
    Boat
    yes
    I'm happy you had a good time there! I usually launch right there in front of the Coast Guard station as I live about two miles away. We fish close to the bridge when the weather is rough, which it is a lot fo the time. It's a five minute run back into the harbor. I'm new to fishing the Marin Coast, so I'm gradually exploring both into the Bay and out along the Headlands.
    Lots of cabezon on that slope as well. further west just past kirby is a gravely shoal that we have caught halibut at. Lots of good fishing along the shoreline. I do it in boat & kayak. lots of fun

Upvote 0

STANWOOD BOB

Oct 1, 2012
    WA
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    NA
    FWIW there was a few SF firemen who used to troll from inside Bonita Cove down to past Kirby in late July early August when those Chinook would start to make a move towards the SF Bay. Remember a trip about that time when we got blown out from outside then headed to Mile Light to mooch. Threw a small fish or two in then decided to drift near the GG Bridge North tower on the way home! Set up on a drift and about half way through got bit and to my surprise I hooked and landed a 24# Chinook! Fun fishery at the right time of year for sure! Good Luck!

Last edited:
    Reactions: dsl
    Upvote 0

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    FWIW there was a few SF firemen who used to troll from inside Bonita Cove down to past Kirby in late July early August when those Chinook would start to make a move towards the SF Bay. Remember a trip about that time when we got blown out from outside then headed to Mile Light to mooch. Threw a small fish or two in then decided to drift near the GG Bridge North tower on the way home! Set up on a drift and about half way through got bit and to my surprise I hooked and landed a 24# Chinook! Fun fishery at the right time of yearfor sure! Good Luck!
    Thanks for the information. That’s a great story. I’ll be on salmon for sure when the season opens. My boat is tiny, so I’m not planning on running out to Duxbury Reef anytime soon so closer spots are definitely better.

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB
    Upvote 0

STANWOOD BOB

Oct 1, 2012
    WA
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    NA
    Thanks for the information. That’s a great story. I’ll be on salmon for sure when the season opens. My boat is tiny, so I’m not planning on running out to Duxbury Reef anytime soon so closer spots are definitely better.
    Close in spots? Right around the corner from Ft Baker run up to Sausalito ferry entrance as drop off used to hold a lot of BIG halibut 25-30# right about now! Drag hoochies and a 1# ball ticking bottom and Hold On! ;-)

Upvote 0

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    Close in spots? Right around the corner from Ft Baker run up to Sausalito ferry entrance as drop off used to hold a lot of BIG halibut 25-30# right about now! Drag hoochies and a 1# ball ticking bottom and Hold On! ;-)
    I've worked that area a bit. No halibut so far, but the Bay's been producing lots of big fish the last few weeks, so I'm sure it's a matter of time. I live in Sausalito and can see that spot from my house. There is bait there all the time. Maybe time to fish it hard!

Upvote 0

STANWOOD BOB

Oct 1, 2012
    WA
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    NA
    I've worked that area a bit. No halibut so far, but the Bay's been producing lots of big fish the last few weeks, so I'm sure it's a matter of time. I live in Sausalito and can see that spot from my house. There is bait there all the time. Maybe time to fish it hard!
    The spot we fished was coming out of 90' and going up to 25' as fish used to lay in wait to ambush! 35' was ideal and pink or bright yellow and green hoochies with tons of mylar always worked the trick ;-) Ever fish California City in late August?

Upvote 0

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    I know the spot. We drifted it the other day. I haven't fished California City in August, we just got the boat in November. It'll be on the agenda this year for sure.

Upvote 0

salty scallop

Oct 2, 2019
    Sausalito, CA
    Name
    Albert
    Boat
    Boston whaler 13’ skiff
    Worked this spot with live bait from 10-3 on Tuesday for zero fish and 2 scratched baits. Lots of pressure on the bay fish this year, I had caught a few fish from the shore already by this time last year but they just haven’t showed up yet I guess

Upvote 0

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    Worked this spot with live bait from 10-3 on Tuesday for zero fish and 2 scratched baits. Lots of pressure on the bay fish this year, I had caught a few fish from the shore already by this time last year but they just haven’t showed up yet I guess
    I may have seen you out there! What were you fishing in?

I just got in from fishing this same spot (Friday early am). We picked up live bait (anchovies) in front of the Trident. We worked our way north to south, with the last drift in front of the sewage treatment plant. I marked a lot of bait in the shallow water closer to shore. Most larger fish were in deeper water, but no strikes. I saw some stripers on the fish finder, but again no strikes. It was bitterly cold and windy.

Upvote 0

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    Also, the purse seiners have been out there the last few days. You probably saw them at work.

Upvote 0

salty scallop

Oct 2, 2019
    Sausalito, CA
    Name
    Albert
    Boat
    Boston whaler 13’ skiff
    I may have seen you out there! What were you fishing in?

I just got in from fishing this same spot (Friday early am). We picked up live bait (anchovies) in front of the Trident. We worked our way north to south, with the last drift in front of the sewage treatment plant. I marked a lot of bait in the shallow water closer to shore. Most larger fish were in deeper water, but no strikes. I saw some stripers on the fish finder, but again no strikes. It was bitterly cold and windy.
    13’ Boston whaler center console, the beach next to the sanitation plant is a popular bass spot so I’m not surprised you were marking them.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    A purse seine is a large wall of netting deployed around an entire area or school of fish. ... Once a school of fish is located, a skiff encircles the school with the net. The lead line is then pulled in, "pursing" the net closed on the bottom, preventing fish from escaping by swimming downward.

That diminish an area

Reactions: Tifoso
    Upvote 0

salty scallop

Oct 2, 2019
    Sausalito, CA
    Name
    Albert
    Boat
    Boston whaler 13’ skiff
    Yes that and the late salmon season. I saw threshers around one of the spots mentioned above the other day so I know there is plenty of bait around.

Upvote 0

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    13’ Boston whaler center console, the beach next to the sanitation plant is a popular bass spot so I’m not surprised you were marking them.
    I probably did see you. I saw someone in a boat that size out all day.

The bigger fish were over the drop-off, but that was also where the tide line was, so make of that what you will. There was one bunch of bait in deeper water to the south side of the drop-off.

Reactions: salty scallop
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    There gose thr neighborhood! :profile::profile::profile:

Upvote 0

karlk1125

Jun 20, 2008
    Bodega Bay
    Name
    Karl Kobler
    Boat
    2008 World Cat 320 EC twin Mercury v8 300 Verado “Freedom”
    That’s for the live bait at pier 45 right?

Upvote 0