Don’t know
Mar 15, 2008
Dana Point
Name
Matt Vander Dussen
Boat Name
19.5 Chaparel Striker
fished the coronados today with my dad
was a pretty nice day weather was a little on the iffy side but fishible.
fished middle grounds for a little bit and got a few whitefish and a sculpin
but a sealion drove us out
then moved to south kelp ridge and looked for something happening on the surface but there was nothing so fished the bottom and got a bunch of short lings and a few nice calicos
then decided to try the rockpile.
once we got there the birds were working pretty good so my dad set up for bottom fishing while i tried for some surface fish
i dropped down a crocadile jig to see if i could get a ling because my dad was getting ripped by the lings everytime he dropped down
i got down and jigged a few times and nothing....
then some bonita came up crashing about 30 yards from the boat.... i started to reel up as fast as i could and i never made it up. about 3/4 of the way up a nice bonita slammed my jig and the bite never shut off after that with crocadiles... catching 6-8 pounders on 8# and 12# line never gets old haha
it was great fun and ended up having a great day
run home was rough but over all a great day and it was fun to pull on some surface fish

bonita 1.jpg bonita pull 1.jpg calico.jpg bonita pull 2.jpg all fish.jpg bonita 2.jpg calico and ling.jpg

Upvote 0

geno machino

"Relax" - Everything is going to be just fine!
Feb 9, 2007
O'side
Name
Gene
Boat Name
Boat Ho
Looked and sounded like an awesome time!

WTG!

Geno

Upvote 0

dbar

Mmmmmm Backstraps
Jun 26, 2004
With your Mom
Name
Jim Perkins
Boat Name
18' Center Console " D-Bar II "
Nice mixed bag !!!

Upvote 0

Shaka760

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 16, 2007
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Craig Taylor
Boat Name
2007 Nitro 482
Fat Bones on light line always equals fun!!

Upvote 0

fishman27

Don’t know
Mar 15, 2008
Dana Point
Name
Matt Vander Dussen
Boat Name
19.5 Chaparel Striker
We were fishing on the rockpile when we caught the bonito. We landed around fifteen or so but released most of them. Just look for crashing birds!

Matthew's dad

Upvote 0

tsurikichi

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2005
SoCal
Name
Ron
Boat Name
10' 2 1/64"
Hi fisherman 27,

Most excellent report. Thanks for the great bunch of pics and nicely written narrative. Fished on the Premier the 19 before attending the DAD Saturday.

Pretty easy fishing, tough hooking, and alas bad catching ! Caught just a few ... unlike YOU ! ha ha ha

tsurikichi

Upvote 0