April 15, 2011 Lahaina Harbor, Maui

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Startmeup, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    [​IMG]

Aloha from Lahaina Harbor. As of late, the billfish bite off Maui has been good. The billfish currently being caught most often is the shortbill spearfish, which is surprising because shortbill spearfish are supposedly the rarest species of billfish in the world. In fact, Hawaii is one of the few places in the world where shortbill spearfish are caught regularly. For anyone in pursuit of this species, now is as good a time as any to try to catch one. In addition, the striped marlin have been around in considerable numbers and there have even been some blue marlin appearances. As usual, there is also a steady stream of mahis and onos making their way into Lahaina Harbor. If there are any questions about the fishing, feel free to call Deli in Start Me Up’s Lahaina Harbor booth at 808-667-7879 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Hawaii Time or email [email protected]. The report below contains some of Start Me Up’s recent anglers and their catch.

[​IMG]
    Large pieces of flotsam that have been in the water for a substantial amount of time tend to attract fish, but finding a solitary piece of partially submerged debris in the ocean can be like finding a needle in a haystack. The McCaw family was fortunate enough to find the needle in the haystack and once they did, the bite was on. All three generations took part in the action to catch five mahis, three onos, and some tunas.
    [​IMG]
    Greg Sharp also got lucky and fished the same floater as the McCaws. The floater produced a mahi and some tunas for Greg. The icing on the cake came when Greg caught a shortbill spearfish on his way from the floater back to Lahaina Harbor.
    [​IMG]
    Zandy Feinstein caught a big cow mahi on bait while working the K FAD approximately seven miles off the Lanai lighthouse.
    [​IMG]
    Friends Jordan Conn and Spencer Malgarin went fishing together and each caught a mahi. Their parents remarked that the trip was a great experience for both boys.
    [​IMG]
    The Deets, who are repeat anglers with Start Me Up, found the fish again. This time Daren and Gloria came across their mahis at JJ buoy. As usual, the fish were not able to resist live bait.
    [​IMG]
    Colin Ryan took care of business when this ono bit the general jet running on the short rigger. Catching the ono was a sweet revenge for Colin, who had a marlin jump off earlier in the four hour afternoon trip.
    [​IMG]
    The rarest of all billfish came Rand Smith’s way while he was trolling the ledge just outside the Lanai lighthouse.
    [​IMG]
    The Kondor family also came across the rarest billfish in the world. They caught their shortbill spearfish relatively close to Lahaina Harbor while working the ledge just inside LA buoy.
    [​IMG]
    The shortbill spearfish, supposedly the rarest billfish in the world, was actually not so rare today. Tom Heideman caught his 40 lb. shortbill spearfish in the vicinity of the Lanai lighthouse.
    [​IMG]
    Rob Hermanson and Tanner Armstrong landed a nice pair of mahis owing to their diligence in working a nice current line between Lanai and Kahoolawe.
    [​IMG]
    As he requested, Mike Marquardt’s estimated 175 lb. blue marlin was tagged and released. Mike hooked the fish in the area surrounding the shoals of Kahoolawe.
    [​IMG]
    Mike Marquardt’s blue marlin was only part of a great trip. Mike joined up with Dave Burton, Randy Langlow, and Ralph Aguirre to catch quite a few nice fish, including a big bull mahi and a striped marlin. Ralph was the angler on the striped marlin, which was persistent to a fault and attempted to eat the Jr. Popsicle five times before finally succeeding and getting hooked up.
    [​IMG]
    The Farmers Bureau Insurance agents caught a few more mahis with team Start Me Up. Farmers Bureau Insurance agents have been visiting in waves and we have enjoyed fishing with them.
    [​IMG]
    Twins Devin and Chad Schaumburg come out and fish with Start Me Up every year. This year they came in from their four hour morning trip with a nice ono as well as a mahi.
    [​IMG]
    Mary Juve celebrated her marriage the day after her wedding by going out on a short morning trip and catching her first ocean fish, a mahi.
    [​IMG]
    Both Steve Harper and Doug Harwood waited until the late moments in their trip to land a mahi within a few miles of the harbor entrance. The outcome of many trips has been changed in the waters near Lahaina Harbor. Catching a fish is never truly out of the question until all the hooks are out of the water.
    [​IMG]
    The day came to a great close for Mitch Harvey. Mitch caught this mahi on a general jet a short time after he jumped off another fish on a four hour afternoon trip.
    [​IMG]
    Marlene Bougher, Max Rowland, and Wayne Miller went north to the blue roof off Molokai. They ended up with a mixed bag as Marlene boated a mahi and Max and Wayne each landed an ono.
    [​IMG]
    Dave Pratt and Ted Norman caught a pair of mahis. As Dave and Ted can verify, both the big and small mahis are delicious.
    [​IMG]
    Dave Czech did not miss his opportunity when this mahi came streaking in on the pink and silver KK Pono. The hookup was solid and Dave had no problem getting the fish to the boat.
    [​IMG]
    The Daniels and Shane Hudson are avid fishermen and have fished with Start Me Up many times. They were featured in the last report with three onos, one of which was a nice 35 pounder. This trip didn’t yield any onos, but did produce a shortbill spearfish and a mahi. The anglers missed a couple more mahis but didn’t fret because there will certainly be many more in their future.
    [​IMG]
    Conner St. John caught his mahi on a pearl head lure shortly after leaving the harbor.
    [​IMG]
    Three generations of the Salois family teamed up to boat this ono in the area off Lanai known as containers.
    [​IMG]
    This trio of anglers included Matt Haller and Mark and Kathleen Jackson. They had a successful day on the water, finishing with a stringer of mahis that included a couple of nice bulls. The fish were caught while baiting FAD buoys and trolling in the blind.
    [​IMG]
    James Smith, Jeff Wedel, and Claude Pruden had a successful trip. James reeled in a shortbill spearfish, Jeff landed a 50 lb. striped marlin, and Claude caught a 75.1 lb striped marlin. Claude’s fish is the second largest striped marlin caught out of Lahaina Harbor this year. All of the fish were caught on lures three miles outside of SO buoy.

Thanks for checking out yet another Start Me Up fishing report. Any questions can be directed towards Deli in Start Me Up’s Lahaina Harbor booth at 808-667-7879 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Hawaii Time. Another option is to email [email protected]. Until the next report, tight lines.

Aloha,
    Jonny

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2011
  2. marlinda

marlinda member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Striper 2601 "GEN 3"
    If the shortbills are rare, why are you killing them???

3. themajor

themajor Newbie

Name:
    scott
    Boat:
    1970 glaspar
    I agree, you claim they are the rarest billfish in the world, but yet you slaughter them on a daily basis. Do you guys also keep every marlin you catch as well? They aren't as rare, so by your logic you should be keeping them.

4. wildcat

wildcat Hold your ground!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Parker CC
    Good for you guys...Keep up the reports and the happy customers...

5. bmtrout77

bmtrout77 GO ILLINI

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    NADA
    I just got off the phone with Ed, booked a private charter for the 29th of this month! Pretty damn exited and I promise the wife and I won't purposely kill any shortbills....if we do I will post pics though.

6. oldmanadam

oldmanadam Newbie

Name:
    adam lahne
    Boat:
    22' fiberform "amateur hour"
  7. oldmanadam

oldmanadam Newbie

Name:
    adam lahne
    Boat:
    22' fiberform "amateur hour"
    No, they are not slaughtered on a daily basis. And, yes, most marlin caught in hawaii get the gaff. When will people stop bitching about fish caught on rod and reel? Are you writing to your legislators to bitch about commercial long liners and purse seiners? Are you doing everything you can to reduce the amount of plastics you use, because as we all know, there is an awful lot of plastic crap floating around in the ocean. How about switching to paddle power, because gas and diesel powered boats pollute the ocean like crazy.

Congrats to Start Me Up for another week of getting people on the water and on the fish!

8. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    Shortbill taste great! Almost as good as Wahoo.

9. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Thanks for your support everyone.Also taking the time to post here on BD.Aloha Doug

10. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    Good going, Lee! Those are some mighty fine catches. Your customers have wide smiles on their faces.....they've experienced something that they will remember for a lifetime. Thanks for adding a little BAM to their Hawaiiian vacation experience!

11. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    Hey Jonny.... good going on putting people on fish in pretty tough times of fishing dude...

12. ka Y hai

ka Y hai Newbie

Name:
    Neil
    Boat:
    Alii Kai
    Right on, good going guys.

13. captdon1

captdon1 Newbie

Name:
    don
    Boat:
    33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
    GOOD GOING ON A JOB WELL DONE ""GIVING PEOPLE MEMORIES TO LAST A LIFETIME'' PRETTY SOON TUNA ACTION JUST AROUND THE CORNER!!

ALOHA CAPTDON

14. caserock

caserock Student of life ....

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    La Otra
    Those are some Whopppers !!!!!

15. severrin

severrin Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Maybe rare should be swapped for elusive, yea that sounds cooler.

I believe that all long line and commercial fishing should be greatly reduced, unfortunately the all mighty dollar has jaded those who once loved to go out and catch fish, and reduced them to miners of the blue. It's a shame.

16. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    nice going on the fish, and the happy customers!

tight lines,

17. EndlessSeason

EndlessSeason Newbie

Name:
    Tyson
    Boat:
    suey
    Nice report ,thank you

18. Double Z

Double Z Newbie

Name:
    Harry S. Stamper
    Boat:
    Nope
    Soon you guys should have no shortage of floating debris to fish.

19. Hatteras44

Hatteras44 Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    44 Hatteras Conv.
    I am sure the Billfish foundation is thrilled to see these pictures. Glad to see a charter service is such an advocate of the "tag and release" philosophy. I will find a charter service that releases billfish the next time my wife and I are out there again fishing in Maui...

20. JTjigger

JTjigger Newbie

nice fish reports. Next time in Maui I will fish with you guys private charter instead of Finest Kind, Luckey Strike, or Piper which I have all privately chartered in the past. Nice reports