April 01, 2017 Morro Bay Groundfish Report

Discussion in 'Central California Fishing Reports' started by apogee, Apr 2, 2017.

1. apogee

apogee My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    Greetings and salutations,
    Did not need much of an excuse to take End Game for a ride and opening day of the central coast groundfish season worked just fine. End Game and I made it to the Morro Bay parking lot at 2200 hours on Friday. I was the only guy there. The sea and wind had been pumping for the last week and it was cold. The weather report said it was supposed to be a good day on Saturday. It now costs five American dollars to park at the boat launch (credit cards only). About 0400 I awoke to the sounds of people getting their boats ready so I got up and started rigging poles with three way swivels. Several friends were showing up to partake in this day of fishing on End Game. by 0600 all were aboard for a total of seven (7) persons which two (2) of those persons were five (5) and (6) year old boys with their father. Two (2) more were another father and son and the last being a work colleague and yours truly. The wind was still blowing at O: dark thirty but light. I brought some frozen squid and and frozen anchovies. We cleared the harbor and it was bumpy and the water temp was 53F. I took a head sea pressing on past Cambria and San Simeon and stopped about eight miles short from the lighthouse in one hundred (100) feet of water and it was pretty dead. The water was turned over and green as well as my crew (all of them), but I felt fine! End Game was running perfectly! I moved in to eighty feet and got a very slow pick of reds and Ling's, this seemed to help with the motion sickness of the crew. It was too slow but the sea was laying down and the sun was out, so I headed up to three miles out from the lighthouse at an azimuth of three-one-eight (318) in one hundred seventy (170) feet of water and fifty (50) F, on a tip from a friend. Viola, there they were. We picked up a scad of reds and lings. We put about forty fish onboard over the next few hours. Everybody caught fish. The water was green and cold but the quality of the fish was good. Went back to the barn at 1500 in a following sea with the rollers. End Game was averaging about thirty (30) mph all the way back. No authorities in the parking lot upon return so we divided up the fish and I drove home. Today I will clean up End Game. This trip she proved to be the solid machine for which I have been striving..........Ap IMG_4075.JPG IMG_4083.JPG IMG_4080.JPG IMG_4078.JPG IMG_4090.JPG

mbish09, Liv2 huntnFish and big dog62 like this.
  2. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    WTG, after reading the "Saga" over the past year, glad to hear you had a fun and successful outing. Looking forward to more.

3. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Congrats and thanks for posting

4. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    l dig your "End Game"! Great report, thanks, bet the kids had a ball. Plan on doing a couple of midweek trips this week myself, on the Rita G out of Virg's. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

5. Flyrbr

Flyrbr get a couple of gaffs in this

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    if it flies, floats or... you got it
    Well done! Great report and pics.