Approaching a kelp paddy?

zumatim

May 16, 2009
Dana Point
Name
Tim
Boat
22' Triumph
The other day I was off Dana Point about 25 miles and came across a nice paddy with one boat on it. I approached and threw a bait. The other boat captain became very mad at me. Gunned his boat in my direction and speed past my stern. Ok, my question is what did I do wrong? What is the correct way to approach a paddy with a boat(s) or no boats on it. Thanks

Hismosa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
When a boat is on a paddy they feel they own said paddy and want you to hail them on VHF and ask for permission to join.

Reactions: richardblufin

Duatin

Nov 20, 2018
Oceanside
Name
Dsawyer
Boat
Formula 233 / Aquatrax Ski
Did you find the patty or the boat?? Dude probably thought you were out boat hunting.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
The respectful thing to do is hail the other boat and ask if you can slide in. Some guys ask, but most don’t. I always ask, but if I don’t get an answer, it’s fair game.

when approaching a paddy, with another boat or not, come in upwind about a hundred yards, idle down and drift past it. Worked properly several boats can work a paddy this way. When you drift past said paddy about a hundred yards, slowly do a half circle and reset. I’ve done this with other boats on a loaded paddy and we all scored. DO NOT rush into a paddy and park on it. Fish will circle it waiting for their opportunity to eat. You’re just providing an easy meal.

El Tangledero

Fish fear me
Jun 22, 2020
Behind the Orange Curtain
Name
Steve
Boat
Wife won't let me buy one
Keep a very far distance and try to hail them on VHF. A friendly wave from a distance and no casting might get you an invitation. Otherwise I would move on and try and find your own. You're going to find bad attitudes and good ones. Life.

Good on you for searching for the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hungone

Cole418

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2019
Encinitas
Name
Cole
Boat
Freedom Boat Club
Can you give some info about how you approached?

slow/fast/close or far from other boat or paddy?

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
Dec 13, 2003
San Marcos
Name
Eric
Boat
Grady White 208
The respectful thing to do is hail the other boat and ask if you can slide in. Some guys ask, but most don’t. I always ask, but if I don’t get an answer, it’s fair game.

when approaching a paddy, with another boat or not, come in upwind about a hundred yards, idle down and drift past it. Worked properly several boats can work a paddy this way. When you drift past said paddy about a hundred yards, slowly do a half circle and reset. I’ve done this with other boats on a loaded paddy and we all scored. DO NOT rush into a paddy and park on it. Fish will circle it waiting for their opportunity to eat. You’re just providing an easy meal.
That is what I do. But it comes with a story. A long time ago, 29 years ago, we slid up on a paddy loaded with dorado. We were the 4th boat on it. Everyone else was hooked up. 5 hours later, there were 25-30 boats all fishing it. But everyone was respectful, doing just what Bob said above. There were so many boats there, all chumming a bit, that we became the paddy and stopped having to reset because the fish stayed with us. We ended up drifting almost 4 miles from where the paddy was. The dorado were swimming in a clockwise circle around the boats, and we could always tell where the fish were by which boat had the fresh hookup. The anticipation was great since we could see them coming. If we didn't get hooked up as the fish swam by, we had to wait for their next circle. I learned a lot about kelp paddy fishing that day and just shake my head at the people who think they own the paddy.

You can mess it up by coming in too fast, but most of the time that's just an excuse for the guy who couldn't catch a fish. Go slow, give other boats plenty of space, and don't cut between the drifting boat and the paddy.

clevel

Skipper
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261
Screw that! Fish the hell out of it. He doesn’t own it. Do want u want within reason and respect. The ocean is a place for all.
It’s not about ownership, if the first guy has been chumming and working to get the fish up and another boat comes screaming in, it just puts everyone out of the possibility of catching any fish. Do it right and with respect!

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Can you give some info about how you approached?

slow/fast/close or far from other boat or paddy?
Always come in slow. If fish are there, and you haul ass in, you’ll shut the bite down. They may come back up, but that’s not a given.

As for other boats, give plenty of space. Definitely stay out of jig range! Besides, you definitely don’t want to tangle lines with another boat. It’s all about respect even though nobody owns the paddy, but like clevel said, that first boat probably chummed that paddy and worked it to get the fish going. Don’t ruin his work, help keep it producing.

Reactions: Peg North

Bizzy

May 19, 2009
Poway CA
Name
Tom
Boat
25 Parker
I've been observing this for years, I think I have it down finally:

1- Come in at 20-30 mph, stop while putting up a rooster tail
2- Have at least 10 people appear from nowhere and throw bait/iron/trash at the patty
3- Circle that patty and original boat once, flip everybody the bird
4- Announce there are no fish here, take off at maximum speed
5- proceed to next boat you see

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I've been observing this for years, I think I have it down finally:

1- Come in at 20-30 mph, stop while putting up a rooster tail
2- Have at least 10 people appear from nowhere and throw bait/iron/trash at the patty
3- Circle that patty and original boat once, flip everybody the bird
4- Announce there are no fish here, take off at maximum speed
5- proceed to next boat you see
Parker Life... HAHA!

i snag for food

Jun 19, 2005
Los Angeles
Name
Vic
Boat
Wellcraft Bay 195
First one to find it claims it. Why poach another persons paddy that he’s been sitting on and working at? Move on unless the person says it’s ok to slide in...

Reactions: plj46

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Nothing wrong with "Paddy Poaching". :rofl:

Entitlement. I'm down with the new way of thinking. Every man for himself!
F" everyone else

"psuh"

Last edited:

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
First one to find it claims it. Why poach another persons paddy that he’s been sitting on and working at? Move on unless the person says it’s ok to slide in...
I like this approach much better, but you know you can’t even stop to take a leak without two boats pulling right up on you.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Nothing wrong with "Paddy Poaching". :rofl:

PSSSH

Reactions: the SLIDER

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
If I am headed off shore, and I see a few boats on a paddy, and no boats (on radar) for several miles in front of me, I tend to just keep going with the hope that all the other boats will stop on the first paddy and I will have the second one all to myself. Between my scanning sonar and the height of my tower, I think I find my share of paddies, so no need to jump in on one that is already being worked.

When I do find a paddy, I don't get irritated with another boat joining me as long as:
1) They come in slow,
2) Figure out the drift before they start fishing,
3) Start their drift at least as far from the paddy as I am, but on the opposite side of the paddy
4) Throw some chum;
5) Definitely DO NOT put a diver in the water until all the other boats have gone. I will pump my holding tank if need be.

Two boats can easily work a paddy that way. If the wind / current isn't too strong, multiple boats can work it productively to the benefit of all.

John56434

Idk what to name dis
Aug 1, 2019
West side
Name
John
Boat
Fishing boat
Share the ocean.... there are plenty of fish on a kelp and there might be others that are empty.... fish it and who cares what others say, some people cant afford to go any farther so share the ocean, it wont hurt, plus the others dont own the ocean theyre just being butthurt bout you getting there.

Last edited: