Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Anything new from Avet debuted there..???

saltwaterfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 13, 2010
Los Alamitos, CA
Name
Jason
Boat
looking for new one
that would be a pain in the ass LOL. They need to come up with a series of kick ass spinning reels.

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
I had heard rumors in the past about a star drag reel...

Cutgilz

Sep 8, 2014
Anaheim
Name
Eddie
Boat
YOURS
I hear crickets over here in the Avet section about any new reveals at ICAST. Someone had posted that they didn't even show up today! Avet is getting left in the dust as far as progress in the fishing reel world. NO baitcasters, NO spinners, not even a star drag for F SAKES! Really sucks because they are an American company.

Last edited:
Reactions: FishfinderX

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
Maybe an extra narrow? That would be cool. The MXJ doesn't seem so narrow, I think they should make an MXXJ!

Reactions: JTL750

mitchman

Feb 19, 2007
cape cod
Name
Mitchell Buck
Boat
none
Honestly, I don't think they even need baitcasters, levelwinds, or spinners. It would be cool but it might end up diluting the brand for a small company. What they need to focus on is improving their bread and butter reels...SX through HX series...by increasing drag and improving the antireverse. My Avets are tanks but I can't stand jigging with them with that handle slap and they need more drag...

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
I know avet put out the question on facebook about a year ago of what should their next reel be. Number one answer was a bass reel designed specifically for saltwater. Takes a while to develop new products.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Avet is getting left in the dust as far as progress in the fishing reel world. NO baitcasters, NO spinners, not even a star drag for F SAKES! Really sucks because they are an American company.
I dont need to see new shit other then MX Raptors in Leftie. I would like them to focus on bringing down costs. They used to be a smoking deal. SX for $150. No Brainer.

They dont have to do anything. They have their niche. Although I am still searching for the perfect LH narrow 40 Stardrag.

Cutgilz

Sep 8, 2014
Anaheim
Name
Eddie
Boat
YOURS
I dont need to see new shit other then MX Raptors in Leftie. I would like them to focus on bringing down costs. They used to be a smoking deal. SX for $150. No Brainer.

They dont have to do anything. They have their niche. Although I am still searching for the perfect LH narrow 40 Stardrag.
I never said they HAD to do shit! I was stating as far as options goes they are way behind other reel manufacturers.That's a fact! Maybe they are fine with that or don't have the means to progress. All i was getting across is that it would have been nice to see this because i would be spending and keeping my money here. You state you don't need to see new shit, don't worry you will not!

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Keep it classy BD....!!! :-)

Man, I am almost sorry I started this thread. Was just a question to see if they had anything new I didn't know about, not get everyone's panties in a bunch..

FishfinderX

Sep 7, 2014
San Diego
Name
James
Boat
SOLD
I never said they HAD to do shit! I was stating as far as options goes they are way behind other reel manufacturers.That's a fact! Maybe they are fine with that or don't have the means to progress. All i was getting across is that it would have been nice to see this because i would be spending and keeping my money here. You state you don't need to see new shit, don't worry you will not!
You're making alot of sense. I think the die hard Avet guys are getting defensive but you're not even shitting on Avet just telling the truth. lol.

Reactions: Kola chaser

saltwaterfish

May 13, 2010
Los Alamitos, CA
Name
Jason
Boat
looking for new one
Honestly, I don't think they even need baitcasters, levelwinds, or spinners. It would be cool but it might end up diluting the brand for a small company. What they need to focus on is improving their bread and butter reels...SX through HX series...by increasing drag and improving the antireverse. My Avets are tanks but I can't stand jigging with them with that handle slap and they need more drag...
the drag isnt an issue, they have raptors for that. Not many people even fish the raptors close to the drag ratings. I still vote for a 2-speed kick ass spinner for a raptor price, not the 1k shimano charges for their best spinners

finadict

Mar 20, 2005
Simi Valley CA
www.avetreels.com
Name
Scott Throop
Boat
A giant paperweight keeping my driveway from blowin away
Anything new from Avet debuted there..???
We typically release new reels throughout the year as they are completed, rather than hold out to debut at the trade shows. So far this year, (reels that were not at ICAST last year) we completed the HXJ Raptor 3-speed (the first production model was taken to ICAST), The TRX 80, and TRX 80W, as well as released some non-Raptor dorado finishes. There have also been some work on new reel designs this year, but we will not release any info until we get closer to the final design and prototyping.

finadict

Mar 20, 2005
Simi Valley CA
www.avetreels.com
Name
Scott Throop
Boat
I hear crickets over here in the Avet section about any new reveals at ICAST. Someone had posted that they didn't even show up today! Avet is getting left in the dust as far as progress in the fishing reel world. NO baitcasters, NO spinners, not even a star drag for F SAKES! Really sucks because they are an American company.
As I replied above, we did have 3 new reels this year that were not at ICAST last year. I dont know why anyone would post that Avet didnt show up, Ben Frazier was there with our booth, as he is every year.
As for being left in the dust and not making progress in the fishing reel world is a pretty rough statement. Avet was the first to create small 2-speed castable lever drags, and every other manufacturer has followed suit. Avet is also the first to make a true 3-speed reel, and also the first to make a thumbs-off cast control for saltwater reels. When we innovate a new concept in reels, like the small 2-speeds, we get to face the difficulties and the critics while introducing it to the market. When our first small 2 speed was released, it was met with criticism, many calling it silly with no point, but look now, EVERYONE is making them, and have pretty much changed the game in small, big game reel design. Star drags, baitcasters, spinners have been around forever, and there really hasnt been much technological advancement to any of these basic designs in decades. We are not in the business of rehashing old designs, we work on innovating new ideas.

finadict

Mar 20, 2005
Simi Valley CA
www.avetreels.com
Name
Scott Throop
Boat
We are constantly making improvements on our existing reel models. We recently did make improvements on the A/R system, and has been incorporated into each model as new production runs come around in the factory. The new A/R gears have more teeth, offering more opportunities to engage the dog, meaning less backplay in the handle. Depending on the gear ratio (or the gear being used with a 2-speed), the dog engagement opportunities will vary. If the A/R gear has 30 teeth, and the gear ratio is 6:1, there will be 180 opportunities for the A/R to engage per handle revolution. If the gear ratio is 3:1 there will be only 90 opportunities to engage, meaning slightly more back play. The only way to completely eliminate bac-kplay is to use a roller clutch bearing, which is unreliable in a lever drag, as it would have to be at the drive shaft, not at the spool as our A/R system is. Being at the drive shaft, a clutch bearing cant handle the force through the gear reduction when heavy drag is pulled from the reel. This is why most lever drag reel manufacturers are doing away with them and using dog and gear A/R designs.

As for increasing drag, we did. Once braidied line became the norm, people began to push our standard series reels beyond line classes they were designed for. Our answer to that was to increase the drag output, while maintaining the same physical reel size. This would be the Raptor series of reels.

finadict

Mar 20, 2005
Simi Valley CA
www.avetreels.com
Name
Scott Throop
Boat

MX Raptors have been available now for a while.
An SX single speed was $159 many years ago, and in this economy, it is now $199. Our prices are competitive, and often LESS than reels made overseas. We dont make cheap disposable reels. Please show me an American reel manufacturer who can beat our prices across the board for quality reel with no cast or stamped out parts.

Cutgilz

Sep 8, 2014
Anaheim
Name
Eddie
Boat
YOURS
As I replied above, we did have 3 new reels this year that were not at ICAST last year. I dont know why anyone would post that Avet didnt show up, Ben Frazier was there with our booth, as he is every year.
As for being left in the dust and not making progress in the fishing reel world is a pretty rough statement. Avet was the first to create small 2-speed castable lever drags, and every other manufacturer has followed suit. Avet is also the first to make a true 3-speed reel, and also the first to make a thumbs-off cast control for saltwater reels. When we innovate a new concept in reels, like the small 2-speeds, we get to face the difficulties and the critics while introducing it to the market. When our first small 2 speed was released, it was met with criticism, many calling it silly with no point, but look now, EVERYONE is making them, and have pretty much changed the game in small, big game reel design. Star drags, baitcasters, spinners have been around forever, and there really hasnt been much technological advancement to any of these basic designs in decades. We are not in the business of rehashing old designs, we work on innovating new ideas.

How long ago was Avets innovative small 2 speed castable lever drag debut? I was speaking of current advancements. Ok so the 3 speed lever drag reel would fall under that category. Every time that is brought up on here guys seem to make fun of Avet for coming out with a 3 speed reel or are confused by this decision. Although i really hope they fly off the shelves as i said before, being an American company i wish them nothing but success.

Now about your comment about not much technological advancements to the design of baitcasters and spinners in decades, that's just laughable Scott cmon lets not get crazy. You name me a baitcaster that had the capabilities of catching upwards of 150lb close to 200lb tuna 20-30 years ago. What Spinner back then was able to boat a 597lb tuna?(capt. Dom Petraca, Oct. 2014) Talk about making rough statements.

Yes Avet did change the game with the small lever drag no doubt about it, agree 100%. I was speaking of current progress. Baitcasters have within the last few years exploded as far as popularity because of not only how well they are built, but ease of use, and the power they produce coupled with their capabilities are unmatched when comparing them to decades old versions. Same deal with the spinners. These reels continue to grow in sales and popularity, and I was just mentioning it's too bad Avet is not partaking in the baitcaster/spinner movement.

Well based off your comments it seems as if Avet has no plans on making the 3 types of reels previously mentioned. Despite that I truly wish Avet will continue to thrive without them.

:cheers:

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Love avets, but a 2 speed spinning reel would be an advancement.

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
Love avets, but a 2 speed spinning reel would be an advancement.
Advancement? Yes. Compelling? I don't see how...

Significantly more complexity means larger body, more weight. More weight = more tiring to cast, pop, jig, etc. More complexity = more $$$.

Then what would you do with a low gear? The primary advantage with a low gear on conventional setups is that you can put the rod on the rail and 'grind them in'. How exactly are you gonna do that with everything on the underside of the rod AND a spinning bail arm liable to clip the rail at any time? Spinners are really best fished stand-up, with a harness (if heavy). With harness fishing, you (should be) letting your back do all the work - rocking back and forth and getting a half crank each time. Low speed would let you get a full crank - but you're still cranking on the slack stroke...

I simply can't envision a need for a multi-speed spinning reel. Am I missing something here?

Reactions: mike1010

mike1010

Feb 17, 2013
SUMMIT
Name
Michael
Boat
none
"Baitcasters have within the last few years exploded as far as popularity because of not only how well they are built..."

Sorry, but I've got to take exception to the notion that modern baitcasters are well built. Are there any of them that don't have plastic pinion yokes and such?