Anything NEW at ICAST..???

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by Baller, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Anything new from Avet debuted there..???

2. mike1010

mike1010 Member

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    none
    Like maybe a 4 speed reel?

Whalebreath likes this.
  3. saltwaterfish

saltwaterfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    looking for new one
    that would be a pain in the ass LOL. They need to come up with a series of kick ass spinning reels.

4. Normslanding

Normslanding I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    Shimano has taken there 12 speed bike technology and applied it to a reel.

5. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    I had heard rumors in the past about a star drag reel...

6. Cutgilz

Cutgilz Member

Name:
    Eddie
    Boat:
    YOURS
    I hear crickets over here in the Avet section about any new reveals at ICAST. Someone had posted that they didn't even show up today! Avet is getting left in the dust as far as progress in the fishing reel world. NO baitcasters, NO spinners, not even a star drag for F SAKES! Really sucks because they are an American company.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    FishfinderX likes this.
  7. Sgtsilbaugh

Sgtsilbaugh "Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    qajaq
    Maybe an extra narrow? That would be cool. The MXJ doesn't seem so narrow, I think they should make an MXXJ!

JTL750 likes this.
  8. mitchman

mitchman Member

Name:
    Mitchell Buck
    Boat:
    none
    Honestly, I don't think they even need baitcasters, levelwinds, or spinners. It would be cool but it might end up diluting the brand for a small company. What they need to focus on is improving their bread and butter reels...SX through HX series...by increasing drag and improving the antireverse. My Avets are tanks but I can't stand jigging with them with that handle slap and they need more drag...

9. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    I know avet put out the question on facebook about a year ago of what should their next reel be. Number one answer was a bass reel designed specifically for saltwater. Takes a while to develop new products.

10. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    I dont need to see new shit other then MX Raptors in Leftie. I would like them to focus on bringing down costs. They used to be a smoking deal. SX for $150. No Brainer.

They dont have to do anything. They have their niche. Although I am still searching for the perfect LH narrow 40 Stardrag.

11. Cutgilz

Cutgilz Member

Name:
    Eddie
    Boat:
    YOURS
    I never said they HAD to do shit! I was stating as far as options goes they are way behind other reel manufacturers.That's a fact! Maybe they are fine with that or don't have the means to progress. All i was getting across is that it would have been nice to see this because i would be spending and keeping my money here. You state you don't need to see new shit, don't worry you will not!

Kola chaser, mike1010 and FishfinderX like this.
  12. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Keep it classy BD....!!! :-)

Man, I am almost sorry I started this thread. Was just a question to see if they had anything new I didn't know about, not get everyone's panties in a bunch..

13. FishfinderX

FishfinderX Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    SOLD
    You're making alot of sense. I think the die hard Avet guys are getting defensive but you're not even shitting on Avet just telling the truth. lol.

Kola chaser likes this.
  14. saltwaterfish

saltwaterfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    looking for new one
    the drag isnt an issue, they have raptors for that. Not many people even fish the raptors close to the drag ratings. I still vote for a 2-speed kick ass spinner for a raptor price, not the 1k shimano charges for their best spinners

makairaa and Olddog8 like this.
  15. finadict

finadict Member

Name:
    Scott Throop
    Boat:
    A giant paperweight keeping my driveway from blowin away
    We typically release new reels throughout the year as they are completed, rather than hold out to debut at the trade shows. So far this year, (reels that were not at ICAST last year) we completed the HXJ Raptor 3-speed (the first production model was taken to ICAST), The TRX 80, and TRX 80W, as well as released some non-Raptor dorado finishes. There have also been some work on new reel designs this year, but we will not release any info until we get closer to the final design and prototyping.

16. finadict

finadict Member

Name:
    Scott Throop
    Boat:
    haha! Im thinkin 5-speed with a reverse gear.

17. finadict

finadict Member

Name:
    Scott Throop
    Boat:
    As I replied above, we did have 3 new reels this year that were not at ICAST last year. I dont know why anyone would post that Avet didnt show up, Ben Frazier was there with our booth, as he is every year.
    As for being left in the dust and not making progress in the fishing reel world is a pretty rough statement. Avet was the first to create small 2-speed castable lever drags, and every other manufacturer has followed suit. Avet is also the first to make a true 3-speed reel, and also the first to make a thumbs-off cast control for saltwater reels. When we innovate a new concept in reels, like the small 2-speeds, we get to face the difficulties and the critics while introducing it to the market. When our first small 2 speed was released, it was met with criticism, many calling it silly with no point, but look now, EVERYONE is making them, and have pretty much changed the game in small, big game reel design. Star drags, baitcasters, spinners have been around forever, and there really hasnt been much technological advancement to any of these basic designs in decades. We are not in the business of rehashing old designs, we work on innovating new ideas.

skipjack, Olddog8, Johnny J and 5 others like this.
  18. finadict

finadict Member

Name:
    Scott Throop
    Boat:
    We are constantly making improvements on our existing reel models. We recently did make improvements on the A/R system, and has been incorporated into each model as new production runs come around in the factory. The new A/R gears have more teeth, offering more opportunities to engage the dog, meaning less backplay in the handle. Depending on the gear ratio (or the gear being used with a 2-speed), the dog engagement opportunities will vary. If the A/R gear has 30 teeth, and the gear ratio is 6:1, there will be 180 opportunities for the A/R to engage per handle revolution. If the gear ratio is 3:1 there will be only 90 opportunities to engage, meaning slightly more back play. The only way to completely eliminate bac-kplay is to use a roller clutch bearing, which is unreliable in a lever drag, as it would have to be at the drive shaft, not at the spool as our A/R system is. Being at the drive shaft, a clutch bearing cant handle the force through the gear reduction when heavy drag is pulled from the reel. This is why most lever drag reel manufacturers are doing away with them and using dog and gear A/R designs.

As for increasing drag, we did. Once braidied line became the norm, people began to push our standard series reels beyond line classes they were designed for. Our answer to that was to increase the drag output, while maintaining the same physical reel size. This would be the Raptor series of reels.

19. finadict

finadict Member

Name:
    Scott Throop
    Boat:
    MX Raptors have been available now for a while.
    An SX single speed was $159 many years ago, and in this economy, it is now $199. Our prices are competitive, and often LESS than reels made overseas. We dont make cheap disposable reels. Please show me an American reel manufacturer who can beat our prices across the board for quality reel with no cast or stamped out parts.

20. lowprofile

lowprofile Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Sold it
    When will the TR-X 130 be released?