Anyone willing to rent big bluefin gear?

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
keep dreaming...
now's a good time to buy , people want to off load gear can get some good deals... then you have gear for next year......and the years after.....

Reactions: Rocket Dog
Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Unsure if taking responsibility for someone else's $1000+ heavy setup (reel, rod, and braid line) is a prudent move given Murphy's Law. Just in case you didn't know, Murphy has the ability to be on everyone's trip concurrently.

Here's an alternative route to get into the game:

If the rod is max rated up to 100 or more, you're on your way. If not here are some options:
    1. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/spo/d/chino-hills-seeker-amer-trolling-rod-1/7412540933.html
    2. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/spo/d/chino-hills-cal-star-58-trolling-rod/7412540476.html
    Final cost will be dependent on your ability to haggle. Let's work with a conservative $160 for the reel + rod.

Will need ditch the existing line (never, never, ever use someone else's old mono); spool with Toro Tamer 100lb 8-strand; $100 for a 1000m spool, so if Charkbait custom spools 700+ yds of white, ~$75 (since my 600H took 700+ yds of ProSpec Metered).

Then you need to do these:
    1. https://www.mysticparts.com/CustomParts/UltimateUpgrades/UU-DAIWA600H.aspx
    2. Smooth Drag delrin undergear washer https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13421.0
    3. https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12785.0 (go 5/0 option)
    $76 total after shipping.

Your total is $160 + $75 + $1 + $75 = $311.

IMHO this is preferable to something going south on someone's else setup.
    Yes, it is OLD SCHOOL, but it gets you into the game with a 3.1:1 single speed that will do a smooth (with Cal's Universal) 33+ of lbs drag from full top-of-spool. From there it's your ability and technique to successfully compensate for the lack of a 2-spd. YMMV.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Amadeus -- You are right, sometimes bad things happen. On the other hand, I was brought up among an extended family and a bunch of good friends who borrowed gear of all kinds from each other, and in my personal experience it always worked out well. I hunted with borrowed deer rifles for the first decade, and shot birds with borrowed shotguns for almost as long. And went offshore fishing with borrowed rigs for several seasons until piece by piece I could scrape up the needed gear.

Hillbillymad is sixteen. I can sympathize. I've been there.

Upvote 0

Amadeus

• Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    On the 2018 Alan Tani SOA Charter, one of Alan's loaners, a Mak 10 on a Phenix rod, got into a tangle mid-stern. From the port corner I had successfully moved my setup (and hooked YFT that, thankfully, was a still a good distance from the boat) clear over the entire mess to the starboard corner. At that moment, the Mak 10 got freed but then it got bumped out of the angler's hand by someone still working on the remaining tangles. Can still hear the poor guy shouting "The rod's overboard!!!"

Unfortunate (and expensive) outcome for the borrower. Very glad that it wasn't me...and I made a mental note, after having been a witness, to never borrow gear.

YMMV.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    He has very nice regular gear, and is experienced in the usual SoCal fishing. He also wanted to rent a heavy outfit just in case, which is a smart move on a 1.5-day trip at this time. I'm going to loan him an appropriate outfit because (A) it is one of several just sitting around for the next five months until my next 3-day in April, and (B) I've loaned gear to quite a few people over the years, and have never had a bad experience doing it. Maybe that means that I'm overdue. But (C) I believe that being nice to people whenever possible is the best way to live. Golden Rule.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    He has very nice regular gear, and is experienced in the usual SoCal fishing. He also wanted to rent a heavy outfit just in case, which is a smart move on a 1.5-day trip at this time. I'm going to loan him an appropriate outfit because (A) it is one of several just sitting around for the next five months until my next 3-day in April, and (B) I've loaned gear to quite a few people over the years, and have never had a bad experience doing it. Maybe that means that I'm overdue. But (C) I believe that being nice to people whenever possible is the best way to live. Golden Rule.
    X2, I do the same.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Nobody has to be anything but selfish while on a sportfishing boat. You paid your money, you get to fish totally focused on your own experience. I was that way for a long time, too.

But while having a tough spell on a trip, I couldn't get bit to save my life no matter what I tried, another fisherman who had noticed (and probably heard me muttering to myself) got a fresh hookup and then called to me, "Hey, Gary, come take this fish, please. I need to make a pit stop." And although surprised, I quickly accepted, and fought the fish on his gear and got it into the boat. And was surprised again when he told me to put MY tag on it, he already had enough tuna. And then somehow my trip turned around, I got several more all on my own.

After that I started looking around while offshore, noticing what and how others were doing instead of just insisting on following my own game plan. And noticed that several others aboard each trip were being helpful to others, and still managing nice scores. So I started doing that too, and found it very satisfying.

Every time I do a hook&hand I put my tackle at risk. I've never had a rig dropped and lost, but I've lost lures and hooks and leaders and sinkers and one time a couple of hundred yards of braid. And figured out that it really doesn't matter. The pleasure I feel from helping someone else have a better day is totally worth it.

Loaning gear, whether from your garage or while on a boat, puts that gear at risk. OK. Nobody HAS to do that. But if you try it, you might find that you smile more and have a better trip yourself.

Upvote 0

Amadeus

• Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    I refrain from the encouragement of borrowing, but in the garage are setups that I have for loaning out to people that my wife or I know on trips that I am not on. Not the top-of-the-line but good enough gear up to 60 lb I used before transitioning to long range:
    1. Okuma CD-65 & CD-90
    2. Okuma HG-150
    3. Okuma SD-55 & 55L
    4. Daiwa 50H
    If any of it goes overboard, well then "meh," I guess the "fishing gods" really wanted a sacrifice badly. I'm indifferent to the lost setup being ever replaced by the borrower.

If someone (on the same LR trip that I'm on) needs to borrow a setup that I'm not using at that moment, then it is happily loaned out. My Daiwa 600H "heavies" were loaned out in 2016 and 2017 because they were rigged up with full spools and ready for trolling.

A borrower, however, after seeing someone lose that Mak 10 and Phenix setup, I will not be.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tom Chavez

Almost A Member
  • May 7, 2018
    San diego
    Name
    Tom Chavez
    Boat
    None
    Loaned a friend my torque 5500 on super seeker rod. Just to watch him drop it overboard at the bait barge. Lucky for me my son was able to snag the line . Open bail and had to pull up all the braid until it was empty. Knot held up and I got the setup back. Now I only loan gear to family.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0