Billy L

USCG licensed Captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’, 15’ Whalers
Ever hooped In Newport? You need a buzz just to get past the shitty fishing !
Never in the whole LA area. Just SD bay and pretty lucky here most days.
Would love to go in your 32’ for big BF next year. My 22’ whaler has a Honda 225 and holds only 70 gallons, so the range is questionable for SCI

Last edited:

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
I go with you if you’re in San Diego area. Bummer.
What’s with so many who’re so obnoxious when the guy is making such an incredible offer?
I don’t see anyone being obnoxious, people are just giving their open and honest opinions. You seem to feel pretty strong about this. Why don’t YOU step out of your comfort zone and drive up to Newport and hop-on and support Robert? It’s obvious to me why Robert states his friends flake, and I’m in no way saying Robert needs to compromise his personal beliefs, principles, and/or morality. Some might say don’t throw fish in the library. Have a great day Billy!

Billy L

USCG licensed Captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’, 15’ Whalers
I don’t see anyone being obnoxious, people are just giving their open and honest opinions. You seem to feel pretty strong about this. Why don’t YOU step out of your comfort zone and drive up to Newport and hop-on and support Robert? It’s obvious to me why Robert states his friends flake, and I’m in no way saying Robert needs to compromise his personal beliefs, principles, and/or morality. Some might say don’t throw fish in the library. Have a great day Billy!
I guess you’re right....... opinions are like a*******, everybody has one.

Last edited:
Reactions: makairaa
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
I have thought about dragging my boat up there to try something different, and maybe learn something. My usual days for hooping are Tuesday and Sat. night. Seems like Rob has proven successful at finding the bugs. This is very generous offer, and I guess it will save me towing up there. I will PM you and see if we can set something up. I need to see bugs coming over the rail, and learn some different styles. I have had 3 strikes down here! Thanks!

Reactions: Billy L

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Generous offer :appl:"Hate" seems like the gauge is reading a little hot... :food-smil:cheers:
Maybe, Maybe a better description would be ‘strongly dislike’ both of those. But considering I’ve threatened to take my friends vape and toss it a couple times after he was blowing smoke all over, I actually do hate it (with him I can threaten that since I’ve known him forever, he gets itLOL) cigarettes more than vapes though. I hate the smell more than anything, and as for the alcohol, what you do on your time is up to you, but I have my reasons, which are better left private:hali_olutta:

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Maybe you should lighten up with some your policies or something else!! You seem to be always looking for people, either to invite again or If they want to go again on your boat? Their are countless people on this site for people looking to go with someone who has a boat, And paytheir fair share along with cleaning the boat afterwards. People should be begging you to go on your boat/boats. It seems it's the other way. I,m not trying to be rude about this, but something is not right. Every person I take on my boat (I don't charge anyone), They are always calling me wanting to go again and, Have said they will pay for everything. You should ask the past people why thy don,t come back or flake on you. This is constructive criticism and I'm not bashing you.
Thanks bud. I didn’t ask for criticism though. Maybe, just maybe, get all the facts before you judge, I make the rules because of past and current issues I have, some of which are none of your business and are private. did you expect to just go out and have me do all the work? It doesn’t work like that, my boat, my rules, don’t like it? Then don’t go, pretty simple. I have my Whaler, so I don’t HAVE to have people, I’m trying to be nice, and getting shit on by you guys for it, maybe don’t comment if it doesn’t pertain to the situation, as your comment does not

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Thank you to those who have shown interest. To the others who think I’m too strict, I have my reasons, they are private, and are not anyone’s business except my own. I’ve had issues before with people and alcohol aboard, and I strongly dislike the cig smell, that’s as deep as I’ll go. I don’t ask that you pay for anything, I’m happy to supply the boat, bait and gear, all I ask is that I get some help with the set up and takedown. If that’s too much, then I apologize, but I will NOT breach my personal rules just because some people think it’s too strict. To those of you who are insulting me saying that the reason people won’t go with me is because I’m too strict, or a jerk, or whatever else has been said, it has been noted, and I hope you realize how very wrong you are, and I hope you have a very merry Christmas and an awesome new year!

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Thank you to those who have shown interest. To the others who think I’m too strict, I have my reasons, they are private, and are not anyone’s business except my own. I’ve had issues before with people and alcohol aboard, and I strongly dislike the cig smell, that’s as deep as I’ll go. I don’t ask that you pay for anything, I’m happy to supply the boat, bait and gear, all I ask is that I get some help with the set up and takedown. If that’s too much, then I apologize, but I will NOT breach my personal rules just because some people think it’s too strict. To those of you who are insulting me saying that the reason people won’t go with me is because I’m too strict, or a jerk, or whatever else has been said, it has been noted, and I hope you realize how very wrong you are, and I hope you have a very merry Christmas and an awesome new year!
Robert, with the extra details you just shared, l have to say the following: 1) I believe I now understand your fishing/hooping requirements, and why; 2) had the extra details been included initially I believe I’d have kept my pie hole shut and/or my fingers in my pocket; 3) I have more respect for you standing your ground versus not; and 4) Time and my personal schedule permitting, I’d be more then happy to join you hooping and abide by the requirements you’ve laid out . . . granted you’d be interested. I already stated here how I’ve never had luck hooping Newport and maybe I could learn a few things about being successful hooping in Newport and learn a few human lessons at the same time. Everyone has some kind of skeleton(s)! Thank you for the added perspective Robert! John.

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Robert, with the extra details you just shared, l have to say the following: 1) I believe I now understand your fishing/hooping requirements, and why; 2) had the extra details been included initially I believe I’d have kept my pie hole shut and/or my fingers in my pocket; 3) I have more respect for you standing your ground versus not; and 4) Time and my personal schedule permitting, I’d be more then happy to join you hooping and abide by the requirements you’ve laid out . . . granted you’d be interested. I already stated here how I’ve never had luck hooping Newport and maybe I could learn a few things about being successful hooping in Newport and learn a few human lessons at the same time. Everyone has some kind of skeleton(s)! Thank you for the added perspective Robert! John.
Thanks John,
Wasn’t directed at you, I get where you’re coming from and respect that, we all have our thoughts on stuff and that’s what makes for good discussion. It was more directed at the people who are telling me that my friends don’t flake, they just don’t like me or decide to not show up because I’m a jerk. With that said, I can be sometimes, and that’s one of my 2020 resolutions, so thanks for the reply, and thank you for being respectful in your reply.

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Ever hooped In Newport? You need a buzz just to get past the shitty fishing !
You know usually you and I agree on stuff, and I agree Newport isn’t the most wonderful place, but I take what I can get, and I can’t run to Cat every weekend, I’d be bankrupt in about 3 trips. As for your other post about the strikes, I suggest reading what I just posted a little while ago, there are more details in it, and maybe it’ll give you a bit more insight to my reasoning.

Mfish618

Sea Reaper
Jun 5, 2007
San Diego/ Westport Wa.
Name
Mike
Boat
19 FT. Searay, 17 ft Champion
If you were in San Diego, I'd likely take your offer. I've been hooping lobster for decades and am meticulous about gear set up. I ran open party hoop trips on a large spot boat here, so you might say I know what I'm doing.

Reactions: Bottom Line

RodRage

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
You know usually you and I agree on stuff, and I agree Newport isn’t the most wonderful place, but I take what I can get, and I can’t run to Cat every weekend, I’d be bankrupt in about 3 trips. As for your other post about the strikes, I suggest reading what I just posted a little while ago, there are more details in it, and maybe it’ll give you a bit more insight to my reasoning.[/s yes sir I humbly apologize, I got caught up and piled on her without thinking it through, as for Newport if you’d ever like to pull your boat down to Long Beach or Jump on my tub I’d be happy to show you around, dragging your boat nine more miles with yeald quite a bit better results in my opinion

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
Robdog1,
Your the captain of your vessel.
Your honesty is welcomed and familiar.
I let all know prior to stepping on the boat, or driving down to the ramp, what to expect prior to departing dock.
Humor, vulgarity, courtesy, vice understanding and non judgement.
Just be fun and knot a dickhead.
If we don't gel, no worries.
We all know who we won't step on the same boat together again with.
The world is filled with one's similar thoughts.

Reactions: Mfish618

RodRage

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Rob, I humbly apologize I piled on without thinking it through. As for Newport everybody knows it’s not the best out there for hooping but if you’d like to jump on my tub or drag your boat to Long Beach I’d be happy to show you around!

Mfish618

Sea Reaper
Jun 5, 2007
San Diego/ Westport Wa.
Name
Mike
Boat
It's good to detail expectations before hand. If it's not your boat and you don't agree with prerequisites , don't go. I won't fish with drunks [or any drug use including cannabis] ever, it's a safety hazard.. My focus is a person that has good skills and is driven towards the goal. Anyone that won't help with post trip cleanup is too self centered for my style. Also I'm a die hard and won't bother with a two or three pull Johnny. It would seem that's the point entirely. I don't understand the criticisms, Honesty is the best policy and saves all parties needless grief.

Last edited:

Mfish618

Sea Reaper
Jun 5, 2007
San Diego/ Westport Wa.
Name
Mike
Boat
A few years ago and a few days before the season ended I hadn't seen a bug all night after 7 or 8 pulls [probably more]. I was packing it in for the night and the last hoop took a while to find [the light was very dim from weak batteries.] I was in an inflatable kick boat and pretty tired but determined to locate the last lost egg. This was my reward for persistence. Never give up, never lose faith. This wasn't the first time my die hard attitude payed off.

1465375_806343792712670_2109697861_n.jpg

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Rob, I humbly apologize I piled on without thinking it through. As for Newport everybody knows it’s not the best out there for hooping but if you’d like to jump on my tub or drag your boat to Long Beach I’d be happy to show you around!
It’s all good. I agree 110% that Newport isn’t the crown jewel of hooping locations, that’s for sure. I may tow the Whaler up to your neck of the woods after the new year, if I do I’ll hit you up and maybe you can show me some of the nicer LB spots (obviously not the honey holes, I wouldn’t ask that of youLOL) thanks for following up, I don’t take it to heart, everyone’s entitled to their opinions, it’s what makes the world go around, and if they don’t like it, then nobody’s forcing them to go:cheers:

Reactions: Mfish618