Offshore Anyone using a Phenix Axis 820 XH rod with a Penn 25N 2-Speed Reel?

Fred100

Jul 24, 2008
Vista
Name
Fred
Boat
none
Looking for a live bait rod for San Diego bluefin and would like to hear from those who are using the Axis 820XH. How does it perform casting baits on a party boat? Is it too stout to use for paddy yellowtail or yellowfin since it looks like the bluefin bite may be over.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Looking for a live bait rod for San Diego bluefin and would like to hear from those who are using the Axis 820XH. How does it perform casting baits on a party boat? Is it too stout to use for paddy yellowtail or yellowfin since it looks like the bluefin bite may be over.
    PUT ON FISHING CHIT CHAT MAYBE

Upvote 0

Motofish

One day at a time!
    Sep 26, 2011
    Inland empire ca
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    Sold
    Just got off a trip using my axix H 7’8” with a fathom 25NLD2 fishing mainly kelp patties for yellowtail, and I think the XH is over kill. My H did great! Was soft enough to get the sardine out a bit and had enough back bone the bounce the smaller YT. I also have a XH 7’8” paired with a fathom 30LD2 and it never left the rack as the yellowtails were smaller to medium grade. Btw my 25 was my 40lbs rig and my 30 was my 60lbs rig. Hope this helps. Tight lines

Upvote 0