Dexter Outdoors

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Hey guys I have been using a lot of butterfly type jigs for rock fish and YT hope to get some tuna on them this year as well. I have been using my avet for jigging but don't think I can go much longer without instant anti reverse. I was looking at the jigging world reels has anyone used them they appeal to me because they are available in left hand which is a must for me.

offshore6

Where's the tuna?
Aug 20, 2006
Indialantic, Florida
Name
Eric
Boat
Boat Ho
Instant anti-reverse is dependent upon an anti-reverse bearing rather than the anti-reverse dogs in your current reels. This AR bearing is fine for what it is designed for but if you start going to heavier line (not sure what the limit might be), you can blow up this bearing. Accurate went through this with their Boss reels when people started using them for heavy applications and wound up doing a retrofit for anti-reverse dogs. Instant anti-reverse is pleasant to use but be aware of its limitations.

Reactions: hawkplayer32

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Instant anti-reverse is dependent upon an anti-reverse bearing rather than the anti-reverse dogs in your current reels. This AR bearing is fine for what it is designed for but if you start going to heavier line (not sure what the limit might be), you can blow up this bearing. Accurate went through this with their Boss reels when people started using them for heavy applications and wound up doing a retrofit for anti-reverse dogs. Instant anti-reverse is pleasant to use but be aware of its limitations.

Wise words ^^^

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
Picked up a Penn Torque 25N star drag for exactly this purpose. Still needing to have a rod wrapped to pair with it, but at the recent closeout prices it seemed to be a decent reel choice for jigging. (am also expecting to put in the 4.8 gears at some point)

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
I have 2 jigging masters reels and 1 Maxel (which is a JM clone)
A PE4 , PE7, PE10.
They are all one speeds reels. 4.7 retrieve ratio. Last years model and earlier make a "winding sound" when winding the reel. No bid deal - you get used to it. This years models they eliminated the "noise".
All the reels have very strong drag capacities. The bigger ones are terrific well proven big tuna jigging reels.

Most dedicated jigging reels are one speed reels.

The PE4 is my go to YT reel. When everyone else is slinging their salas 6x's, you will usually find me jigging the butterfly's. I LOVE IT. I have not yet put to use the big Pe10(actually a maxel 12) reel but hope to shortly!

Check the Maxels out though- they are less than the JM considerably for a duplicate reel.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Hey guys I have been using a lot of butterfly type jigs for rock fish and YT hope to get some tuna on them this year as well. I have been using my avet for jigging but don't think I can go much longer without instant anti reverse. I was looking at the jigging world reels has anyone used them they appeal to me because they are available in left hand which is a must for me.

This is a very large can of worms with great reels from ~$150 to ~$600 made from a variety of companies that all work very well.

Simple answer: A reel like the Penn Fathom 25N is a great place to start. Star drags absolutely get this done. After market 4.8:1 gears are out there which are ideal.

Shimano Ocea Jigger 2000NR PG is a joy to use (JDM reel). Or a standard Trini or Torque Star Drag.

Accurate Dauntless with an AR bearing installed etc etc.

*In general* with the exception of Accurate the lever drag reels do not have instant anti-reverse bearings. Generally, they are put in reels designed to fish artificial lures first and foremost. LD reels are more bait reels more or less. Obviously they work for jigging, but the back play of mechanical dogs has to be tolerated.

Reels like the Accurate and Penn use multiple "synced" dogs that engage separately to minimize back play so the Penn Torque LD2 is a player with minimal back play.

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
Several of the guys on the Intrepid 14 day Westcoast Fishing.com charter have the Jigging Master reels. I've got a PE 7 and PE 8 that my son and I used quite a bit on the last trip in January. We caught everything from rockfish to tuna on them. Next trip, there will be a lot more of these jigging rigs on the trip. Several guys were very interested in the equipment and techniques.

One morning in the buffer zone, I caught five tuna on five successive drops using the PE 8 with vertical jigs. Fishybuzz was doing the same thing with a PE 7 reel and caught four in a row. These were all around 25 pounds but still a blast to catch on jigs. Other guys were using PL68's and a few larger fish in the 100-120 range were caught but I don't think anyone had multiple fish on the PL68's.

If anyone's interested, my PE 7 holds 375 yards of 100 hollow. The PE 8 is a little wider and holds 450 yards.

One of my reels I bought used and opened it up to service it. I was very impressed with the quality of the reel's components and machining. Like Vegasandre said, they have a crazy amount of drag and a lot of torque.

I've heard that Maxel reels are identical but then I've also read that they are not. The specs on the Maxel reels seem to be different, listing 4.5:1 gear ratios where the JM reels list 4.0:1. Anybody know for sure?

Edit: My bad, I see you were asking about the Jigging World reels. They look very similar but I don't have any info on them. Jigging Master PE and Ocean Devil reels are available in left hand too though.

Last edited:

All Business

Oct 29, 2009
Zooport CA
Name
Eric David
Boat
Whaler
Picked up a Penn Torque 25N star drag for exactly this purpose. Still needing to have a rod wrapped to pair with it, but at the recent closeout prices it seemed to be a decent reel choice for jigging. (am also expecting to put in the 4.8 gears at some point)

You take drugs, Danny? Sorry Noonan.. I just luv that scene!