AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
Just curious if anyone uses those sun sleeves while out fishing or doing other outdoor stuff. I have spent over 30 years in the construction industry getting cooked in the sun and religiously where long sleeves when fishing. Gets a bit warm sometimes but I still do it. I don't want to spend $65+ for Aftco or Huk stuff. Most of it is overpriced anyway. Thx.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

• Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    They make tons of long sleeve uv shirts that are vented. Which is what I usually wear in various brands. Can find them pretty regularly in the $20 range

Reactions: Dbado1 and kbray001
    Upvote 0

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
    Ramona, Ca.
    Name
    Alin Williams
    Boat
    none
    One thing I've noticed is all the long sleeve shirts have huge openings at the wrist. Too floppy. There's no cuff. I throw jigs pretty much all day and that floppy sleeve gets floppier as the day goes on. I like tight around the wrist. It interferes less with the reel while cranking...or in the rare occasion I'm in the bait well. I know...1st world problems.

Reactions: Reel hip

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    I just got off a 7 day to the rocks and wore the Columbia SPF long sleeves.They have 2 buttons to adjust the wrist.I take them everywhere to fish with.Mammoth fly fishing,Venice LA popper fishing etc.Tom

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Prince seemed to like them.

650_large_3.jpg

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    From my own personal experience.... AFTCO clothing... is never inexpensive.... but they do have great sales. I will certainly state I have AFTCO shorts and shirts.... some more than 30 years old.... that show many more years of enjoyable use.

30 years.... maybe wore 1 shirt more than 500 times.... maybe a button lost here or there.... but NEVER falling apart. Now I have purchased a number of various brands .... even some mentioned above... you know I like to save money too....lol.

Brother.....quality construction and materials advanced fabrics.... and detailed workmanship cost money. 30 years of enjoyable use.... made it cost a dime for each time I wore it. NOW THAT'S CHEAP...

Hate the cliche.... you get what you pay for. Did you get your work tools on Amazon.... cause they were cheaper? I think not. Like using a $50 rod for BFT....I think not. Just my experience....

Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    From my own personal experience.... AFTCO clothing... is never inexpensive.... but they do have great sales. I will certainly state I have AFTCO shorts and shirts.... some more than 30 years old.... that show many more years of enjoyable use.

30 years.... maybe wore 1 shirt more than 500 times.... maybe a button lost here or there.... but NEVER falling apart. Now I have purchased a number of various brands .... even some mentioned above... you know I like to save money too....lol.

Brother.....quality construction and materials advanced fabrics.... and detailed workmanship cost money. 30 years of enjoyable use.... made it cost a dime for each time I wore it. NOW THAT'S CHEAP...

Hate the cliche.... you get what you pay for. Did you get your work tools on Amazon.... cause they were cheaper? I think not. Like using a $50 rod for BFT....I think not. Just my experience....
    The reason I gave the suggestion of Amazon was because he sounds like he’s on a budget. Of course something 3 times more expensive is typically better quality but that didn’t seem to be what he was looking for.

Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    One thing I've noticed is all the long sleeve shirts have huge openings at the wrist. Too floppy. There's no cuff. I throw jigs pretty much all day and that floppy sleeve gets floppier as the day goes on. I like tight around the wrist. It interferes less with the reel while cranking...or in the rare occasion I'm in the bait well. I know...1st world problems.
    Rubber band from sinker rig applied to wrist. 3rd world solution.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats

Since I have been using Aftco performance shirts, and mask,
    I have hardly use sun screen,
    And , I haven’t been peeling like a
    Snake like before.

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Just roll up your frigging sleeves when in the bait tank and throwing jigs.. material’s so light you won’t even notice. I bought these from Sam’s Club and they are pretty awesome. If you want me to order it and have it shipped to your house, let me know. You can pay me later. I get free shipping since I’m a Plus member. 40+ UV protection.

940FB08A-7875-438B-AEC6-199338FE3632.png

65389278-EBE7-41C3-A63A-2DA31236F597.png

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I do. But I prefer the long sleeved shirts. I don't see the cuffs as an issue. How often are your arms continuously raised above your head?

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    The reason I gave the suggestion of Amazon was because he sounds like he’s on a budget. Of course something 3 times more expensive is typically better quality but that didn’t seem to be what he was looking for.

I’ve owned both (Aftco) and like the Habit brand better. I like the style and it’s more comfortable to wear. Wicks really fast. A little moisture on it is also nice since it cools you off. Runs massive. I wear a medium in just about everything and large on a couple of brands, and a size small fits loosely on this brand (Habit).

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    I’ve owned both (Aftco) and like the Habit brand better. I like the style and it’s more comfortable to wear. Wicks really fast. A little moisture on it is also nice since it cools you off. Runs massive. I wear a medium in just about everything and large on a couple of brands, and a size small fits loosely on this brand (Habit).
    I agree, more expensive isn’t always better. Marketing can really make people pay top dollar for brand names. I’ve never been a huge brand name person, especially when it comes to clothing.

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    I agree, more expensive isn’t always better. Marketing can really make people pay top dollar for brand names. I’ve never been a huge brand name person, especially when it comes to clothing.

Yep, I should know since I work in advertising.. lol. Add $$$ to your marketing budget, and it goes straight into retail markup. I pretty much live in dry-fit type clothing.. and this stuff is pretty top notch. Have 6 of these shirts.. and sometimes wear the buttons ups to work.

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chula Vista, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    won't b mine
    Search uv protective clothing on Amazon. Tons of good looking stuff from $15 to $20
    This is the way to go! So many different brands, pretty much in the range stated here. I do recommend ordering up a size or two for added comfort. I have a bunch of Colombia shirts that I'm wearing less often since going to these shirts. I would also add might want to look for sun gloves and hoodies/buffs for good buys. Put the buffs on a ball to stretch 'em out a bit and you're good to go. BTW, I got most of my Colombias from Ebay, "previously owned" so for those that still prefer that style this could be an option to look into for $$ savings.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Just curious if anyone uses those sun sleeves while out fishing or doing other outdoor stuff. I have spent over 30 years in the construction industry getting cooked in the sun and religiously where long sleeves when fishing. Gets a bit warm sometimes but I still do it. I don't want to spend $65+ for Aftco or Huk stuff. Most of it is overpriced anyway. Thx.
    I wear them.
    My arms bruise easily due to my thin blood and they help in protecting them. They dry quickly and are easy to remove. I don't like long sleeve shirts at the bait tank for obvious reasons.

Oh, and they do protect from the sun.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Saugus
    Name
    roger
    Boat
    18' 4Winns - traded for plumbing work
    I have Columbia, World Wide(Cabelas/Bass Pro), and couple Aftco. All great/durable. Tried a couple “off-brand“ l/s “T-shirts” not so happy, mis-sized and just didnt wear well. Dont forget the fingerless gloves! Top of hands always burned.but pre-melanoma changed my mind

Upvote 0

Mr. Sunshine

Jul 6, 2008
    OC, CA
    Name
    Barry
    Boat
    none
    Hanes version of sun shirts on their website - 2 for $20 and shipping is free often. Lots of sales.
    Even some obnoxious colors.

Reactions: HookEmDanO
    Upvote 0