Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
2004 Sailfish 2100 Bay Boat and 1987 Cabo216
I'm on a 3-month fishing vacation to the east coast. A few days ago a friend (retired commercial fisherman) took me fishing to the "Race" close to where CT/NY/RI meet. You could see Taylor Swift's house from there. It's called the Race because the outgoing tide over a shallow reef (15') cause rapids similar to a whitewater river. He anchored up steam from the raging whitewater about 100'. His two rigs had leadline and a 10' leader with two 7/0 circle hooks about 8" apart. He hooked the handsized fresh caught squid thru the tail and head in a way so the squid did not spin but swam naturally in the moving water. He then slowly let the squid back into the Race, paying attention to the colors on the "metered" line. No weights at all, just the leadline to bring the squid into the killing zone. We spent about 5 hours there only moving a few yards to reset the anchor when things quieted down. Ended up with limits on black seabass and 3 strippers. I'm off to a house I rented on Fish River, AL next week until December. It's just up stream from the Mobile Bay and the Gulf. So both fresh and saltwater fishing.

I see this as another method to fish anywhere you want your bait to get into the killing zone without the need for a weight but you have to be anchored with a drifting current. I have spotlock on my trolling motors on my boats both in Alabama and San Diego so I can anchor in any depth of water both offshore or in rivers and bays.

Anyone use leadline fishing in SOC and how do you use it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 18, 2005
So Cal
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Trolling only for me,its stiff so i dont even know how you would use it to baitfish unless you had really big current like you were in.

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Use it all the time for trout and salmon in freshwater have never used it in salt. Very cool looking fish.

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    We use it to troll for all the fresh water Strippers trolling any but mostly feathers. I haven't head of anyone using it in the ocean I always wonders about that...

Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
    Apr 17, 2007
    3rd dumpster on the right
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Lund LX200 LFC
    Leadcore is used all the time here in the Great Lakes for trolling - 2.5 mph, for salmon, trout, walleye, etc. Every “color” gets you roughly 5’ down, without having to resort to dowriggers, dipsys, etc…

But I’m not sure about 3 being the limits on strippers - am calling BS without pics…

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    I grew up fishing the Race, the Gut and the Sluiceway (spots between the Northfork of LI and Rhode Island). My first 40 was in the sluiceway and my first 50 was in the race.

I never saw and never fished leadcore line during the day fishing that area, rather we fished wire line with about 50' of mono at the end. The wire line is very different than leadcore. Leadcore has a coating over flexible braided stands of soft metal while wire line is just striaght metal that will bend over the reel but isn't soft or pliable.

Wire Line
    1632507468352.png

Leadcore Line
    1632507522835.png

Any idea if you were maybe fishing wire line?

We'd troll and pull parachutes jigs to keep them on the rip (100' of wire for every 10' of depth) or we'd anchor and fish menhaden chunks which was absolutley deadly.
    1632517901744.png

There is way to much tide to fish weights on the anchor other than the slack or when the tide first started moving. There are times you can run your outboards at 3,200 RPM's and still go backwards in there. It's crazy.

At night it's all drifting with three ways and bucktails or eels if the current wasnt' to bad.

3 bass is a tough day in that area. Surprised you were fishing squid for bass I've never seen that before either.

I've thought about it here, still have a set-up but the only thing I can think of to possible use it for is replacement for bounce balling, otherwise we don't have the current to make it a necessary application.

Last edited:
    Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
    May 22, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Halibut Howie
    Boat
    2004 Sailfish 2100 Bay Boat and 1987 Cabo216
    Leadcore is used all the time here in the Great Lakes for trolling - 2.5 mph, for salmon, trout, walleye, etc. Every “color” gets you roughly 5’ down, without having to resort to dowriggers, dipsys, etc…

But I’m not sure about 3 being the limits on strippers - am calling BS without pics…
    My threads on BDs are almost always about fishing techniques that I use, have learned from others and sharing that advice to ones who might be interested. Been doing that since the beginning of this website in 2003. I do not appreciate your comment about BS without pics.

We went to the Race with 4 people in a R20 Rabalo. I do not particularly like the taste of strippers. Two were legal and one short for 4 people. I caught two with Chucky's expert teachings how to use leadline, hook the squid so it does not spin but swims naturally, how to slowly let the line out into the killing zone while observing the colors, and how to feel the bottom. We fished with 40lb leadline. With a cooler full of black sea bass (3/person) I did not want to kill such a beautiful fish to just thump my chest to please YOU! So we threw all the strippers back to grown up to spawn and for someone else's pics for another day. Just like I do for other fish I do not care to eat like YT and tuna. I'm a bottom fisherman. Black sea bass is one of the best eating fish on the east coast. Been waiting over 20 years to eat one. We have been eating it for the last 3 days. Yum.

I've ordered some leadline to use in my next fishing adventure location, Fish River, Alabama. It's up stream from the Mobile Bay and empties near the mouth of the Gulf. So I'll be freshwater fishing up river and saltwater down stream and into the Bay and Gulf. This time of year the shrimp start coming up into the rivers that bring reds and speckled trout following them. I do not know how to use leadline but will figure it out along with other techniques I'll learn from the locals who grew up on the river. My Alabama boat, 2004 Sailfish 2100 Bay boat, has a 12" draft for fishing up in the bayous and bays as well as into the Gulf on a nice day for red snappers if still in season.

When I get back to San Diego in December, I picture using leadline at the Coronado's along with my spotlock trolling motor to electronically anchor in a current to present a squid or other baits in a natural way. Also perhaps for halibut on a moving tide. Chucky has fished these waters commercially for 50 years and I appreciated he took the time to take my wife and me fishing on his boat (for free) and take the time to show us how he fishes for strippers. Black sea bass are migratory. He said this was the most sea bass vs strippers he has ever caught at the Race. We were the only boat that was anchored at the Race. I did not see another boat catch a fish while we had non-stop action pulling fish in. That's why I share info not to please YOU but to help others catch fish when things are slow by trying another method to catch fish.

So keep your BS comments to yourself. I do however appreciate your comments on how you use leadline in the Great Lakes and will try it out.
    HH

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    My threads on BDs are almost always about fishing techniques that I use, have learned from others and sharing that advice to ones who might be interested. Been doing that since the beginning of this website in 2003. I do not appreciate your comment about BS without pics.

We went to the Race with 4 people in a R20 Rabalo. I do not particularly like the taste of strippers. Two were legal and one short for 4 people. I caught two with Chucky's expert teachings how to use leadline, hook the squid so it does not spin but swims naturally, how to slowly let the line out into the killing zone while observing the colors, and how to feel the bottom. We fished with 40lb leadline. With a cooler full of black sea bass (3/person) I did not want to kill such a beautiful fish to just thump my chest to please YOU! So we threw all the strippers back to grown up to spawn and for someone else's pics for another day. Just like I do for other fish I do not care to eat like YT and tuna. I'm a bottom fisherman. Black sea bass is one of the best eating fish on the east coast. Been waiting over 20 years to eat one. We have been eating it for the last 3 days. Yum.

I've ordered some leadline to use in my next fishing adventure location, Fish River, Alabama. It's up stream from the Mobile Bay and empties near the mouth of the Gulf. So I'll be freshwater fishing up river and saltwater down stream and into the Bay and Gulf. This time of year the shrimp start coming up into the rivers that bring reds and speckled trout following them. I do not know how to use leadline but will figure it out along with other techniques I'll learn from the locals who grew up on the river. My Alabama boat, 2004 Sailfish 2100 Bay boat, has a 12" draft for fishing up in the bayous and bays as well as into the Gulf on a nice day for red snappers if still in season.

When I get back to San Diego in December, I picture using leadline at the Coronado's along with my spotlock trolling motor to electronically anchor in a current to present a squid or other baits in a natural way. Also perhaps for halibut on a moving tide. Chucky has fished these waters commercially for 50 years and I appreciated he took the time to take my wife and me fishing on his boat (for free) and take the time to show us how he fishes for strippers. Black sea bass are migratory. He said this was the most sea bass vs strippers he has ever caught at the Race. We were the only boat that was anchored at the Race. I did not see another boat catch a fish while we had non-stop action pulling fish in. That's why I share info not to please YOU but to help others catch fish when things are slow by trying another method to catch fish.

So keep your BS comments to yourself. I do however appreciate your comments on how you use leadline in the Great Lakes and will try it out.
    HH

dude it was a joke, he was making fun of the fact that you misspelled the name of a fish for a woman who takes off clothes for a living. Stripers, the fish, has only one P.

Upvote 0