Anyone tow “heavy” with a Suburban?

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by The Peddler, Dec 16, 2018.

1. threewaves

threewaves Yellowtail

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Pursuit 2870
    I have a 2002 K2500 Suburban LT with the 8.1L, 38 Gal fuel capacity. Purchased new to tow a 252 Grady Sailfish - Apx 10-12K LBS when towing to the Marina for Albacore or long run. Did many runs to HMB, Bodega and So. Cal chasing the Fishing seasons. Benefit over 1/2 ton or 6.0 L is the Allison Trans, Oil Cooler, braking, tow haul mode etc. Not overly powerful (345HP), but good torque and the suspension is nice when towing. When not towing you need to let air out of the tires or put extra weight in the back to get a smooth ride. Plenty of power on the flat and slow and go up the grapevine, like 45-50 mph the whole way up. Could do more, but don't want it to blow to save 5 minutes.

The Grady was sold in 2008 and in now in Loreto, but still tow a Nautique and travel trailer with ease, barely know something is back there. Just over 150K miles. now and getting 10-11 MPG hwy not towing. 7 MPG towing heavy things. It's a great vehicle as when your not towing you can get up to 8 people in it, and that means only one car when taking family or friends places which essentially averages up your mileage compared to taking two cars. Was thinking of selling, but just picked up a Pursuit 2875 which is even a bit heavier than the Grady, so will likely hang on to if I don't get something newer.

As far as chevy goes, most have already said it but it will nickel and dime you, list too long, nothing major but always something, but still cheaper then a new 3/4 or 1 ton that will cost 60-70-80+ grand.

Over all been happy with it. I have kept it in very good condition and am torn as to whether its time to upgrade or not.. All about $$$$$$$$

WaveDancer and xtshawytscha like this.
  2. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Hate to change topics in this thread after a good old fashioned Ford vs Chevy dust up, but have you seen the current year Suburbans? They look like some ghetto hearse. They are no longer SUVs, but some pimp wagon.

3. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I read this.....Man are you right! hadn’t really been paying attention, drove up the road, pulled to the stop light and across the intersection was a dark blue one..... horrible looking! Hate the front end and the whole think looked lower.... more like a large station wagon.

BiggestT likes this.
  4. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Bertram 31 “Fast n Loose” 18ft Starcraft Pontoon for the wimenz
    Based on what theyve delivered for the last decade, I've been keeping my expectations pretty low.

G-Spot likes this.
  5. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    I agree. They lost me the moment they went to all plastic bumpers like in 2007. I’m thinking how can you take that off-road? It’s purely an urban vehicle that’s lost half it’s utility. Then they stopped making the 8 lug 3/4 ton in 2013. I look at my old ‘99, hug her and order a new window actuator motor to install fairly soon and an injection pump to install on my son’s ‘94.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  6. easydoesit86

easydoesit86 nubbie

Name:
    maarten
    Boat:
    22' 672 Campion "Skidder"
    Here's my tow rig, been hauling my 7k boat and trailer around just fine. Not much stock on it, it has a new P400 6.5 diesel, 4l80 trans in it. IMG_0594.JPG

7. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Major thumbs up on the P400 6.5 diesel. What turbo and injection pump do you have on that? Does that have a solid front axle? If so, did that require the lift for the P400 to clear? Was that Suburban originally powered with the 6.2 diesel?

They recently stopped making the P400 6.5, leaving only the Optimizer 6.5 :-( Still some P400s around in crates, but they’re asking $8K for them.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  8. easydoesit86

easydoesit86 nubbie

Name:
    maarten
    Boat:
    22' 672 Campion "Skidder"
    I have a wastegated banks turbo from a 7.3 and a 3 piston marine injector pump. Its a solid axle truck, I notched the front cross member about an inch, but could of possibly got by without it. After I blew up the stock 10 bolt rearend, I stuck a 14.5" one from a duramax. The full floating rearend seemed to make it tow better too. I had to switch out the 3.73 to 4.10 gears though

9. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    I have 14 bolt Full Floater 10.5” w/ 4.10s prepped (moved spring and snubbed perches) for install on my son’s ‘94 6.5, complete w/ disc brakes. The Corporate 14 Full Floaters are bullet proof.

How did you find 3.73 Full Floater from a Duramax? I’ve only been able to find 4.10s in the boneyards. Reason I ask is that my ‘99 is 3.73 and I’d like to do the axle swap. Alternatively, I have a 4.10 front differential that I could use to conver the whole truck to 4.10.