Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Wellllll, shit. It’s looking like a possible shoulder surgery (replacement). Anyone gone through it to keep tugging on fish? And what was your recovery time before you were on the rail.

An aside- thanks to the drunk chick that crashed into me, stopped my career short, and final straw, may affect my fishing.😂

Reactions: skipjack
Upvote 0

Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin
Jul 18, 2003
santa monica,ca.
Name
Mickeyfin
Boat
no
Wellllll, shit. It’s looking like a possible shoulder surgery (replacement). Anyone gone through it to keep tugging on fish? And what was your recovery time before you were on the rail.

An aside- thanks to the drunk chick that crashed into me, stopped my career short, and final straw, may affect my fishing.😂
A buddy of mine had it. Thought his age (60ish) slowed the recovery. He’s ok now.

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
I had a slap repair of the labrum and they had to re-attach the bicep, blah blah blah. Surgeon said then it would degenerate and result in a replacement eventually. Well, the tax man is collecting. Just hope I’m good by October to fish with my buddies. @Let em eat 74 doesnt chase small tuna…

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
I had a torn rotator,bisept and labrum.That shoulder is better than the other.I was REALLY diligent on the PT.Better rangeof motion with it also.The PT is more important almost than the surgeon My Pt told me the first day,no more ladders and flip flops if you don’t want to come again.Most important is to remember you will heal about10 percent a month,at 6 month you will fell like your 100 percent.You won’t be!That is when most people screw up and end up back under the knife.Happened to a friend,tried lifting a small TV up on a shelf for his mom at 6 month,ended up with a replacement.Good luck.Tom

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    I Had...Right and Left torn rotator cuffs rpr.
    Left Titanium Shoulder Replacement
    Left Shoulder Torn Deltoid Repair=Major
    Fused right thumb CMC joint surgery 7/21
    I fished again after all my shoulder surgeries.
    GET IT DONE....PAIN SUCKS! I KNOW!!!

Damn tuna did it. Wore out my parts. LOL

Last edited:

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several

Had Left Titanium shoulder replacement
    at age 70...fishing the next season. DO IT!

Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    Had rotator cuff surgery back in ‘02. Re injured in ’03. Lots of pt helped, you have to go slow. You will feel better, but any little thing will set you back. Just takes time for you to heal.

Reactions: Wandering Blues
    Upvote 0

C Train

C Train
    Jan 24, 2017
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Intrepid, RR3, Pacific Dawn
    Please let me know if you need any help or have any more questions on the physical therapy side of things. That's my specialty and I'm more than happy to help.

Wandering Blues
    Wandering Blues
    People always talk about how well their surgery went but they never credit PT for keeping the scar tissue to a minimum and range of motion to a maximum. PT’s are the unsung hero’s in a surgery.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

FLLR1

Almost A Member
  • Jan 30, 2006
    Florida
    Name
    LT
    Boat
    Boston Whaler
    Mid 50's. 7 weeks in today (reconstruct rotator cuff, repair labrum and bicep tears and shave down bone spurs). PT is key.
    Have a trip on the Rooser in late June. Hopefully, will be able to go with no issues.

Wandering Blues
    Wandering Blues
    Best wishes! That was the same surgery I had originally 8 years ago. Doc said then there was no material left for a second time and replacement would likely occur.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Having 2/3rds of my Deltoid torn off bone, taking 5 sutures thru the bone to repair....was quite an ordeal.
    May have been worse recovery than
    Titanium Replacement a year earlier. Had to wear a sling with strut brace 3 months, sleeping with it the 1st 2 months. Took 2+ years until I
    could lift left arm up to cupboards, bait tank. Even still not 100% yet.
    Getting older sucks. Have to roll with the punches staying active.
    The meter's running. Never stops LOL
    GOOD LUCK with your replacement surgery and PT/recovery.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    And if you need some quality protein - aka FISH - prior to or following surgery to aid your recovery (considering your last trip), hit me up Curtis. Should have about 200 lbs. of fillet arriving first week in January if Five Star comes through in a (semi-) timely manner...

Reactions: Wandering Blues
    Wandering Blues
    Wandering Blues
    Much obliged, Nick. You home or working? If you’re around, let’s grab a beer.
    Upvote 0
    nicodemus
    nicodemus
    I'm up at work, 24 hrs. of darkness with temps to -40. Home just in time for Christmas. I'll give you a shout after that madness subsides and we'll have that beer.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

atun53

Nov 27, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    Name
    Chris Johnson
    Boat
    Skiff
    4x shoulder, ulnar nerve/elbow, and a thoracic outlet. Could fish trout and spotties at 4 mo. Long range/Cedros fastest back was 9 mo with doc and PT’s approval, thoracic outlet took 16 months. PT is key, but adjusting your style may be part of it. I worked with Trelikes to come up with a different set of rods then what I used in my 20’s. Went to 8 ft rods with longer grips to be able to use the rail more effectively. Between the rods and using two speeds, I still do pretty well.

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    You'll be back in no time especially if your getting it done now. I had mine done 2 years ago at 30y old and nothing's changed! Just stick to PT and I'd consider fishing opposite arm from now on. You want to crank with that arm. Not hold on.....

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0