Anyone successfully install a bow mount trolling motor on a Skipjack 20?

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
Aug 26, 2005
Chino
Name
Mike
Boat
77 Skippy 20 Open OB Spear-Fish III
I have been interested in the newer bow mount trolling motors that have the ability to basically anchor the boat in place using built-in GPS. I'm just not sure if even a 60 inch long trolling motor will work and I'm curious to see if anybody else has successfully is one of these in rough water. If it would work it would be awesome for the shallow water rockcod we do to hold the boat over a spot an set a slow drift. Let me know what you guys think?

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Why don't you use your anchor in the shallows and the trolling motor anchor in deeper waters? Call The Trolling Motor Doctor, they can help answer your questions. GL
Because hauling anchors sucks and the trolling motor can get you right on top of things without ever leaving the cabin. It's a hundred times easier.

Upvote 0

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
Aug 26, 2005
Chino
Name
Mike
Boat
Yes, the spot lock (anchor function) means you can stop on a small rock pile and basically virtually, quickly anchor right on top of it fish and move on before I could even begin to set up with a real anchor. I could see it being useful in holding still near a kelp patty on a windy day. I like the Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra with the remote deploy and stow but I don't see how it would work with the bow railing. Hence the request to see if anyone has tried it.

BC check Youtube vid on what I am thinking

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Do they make one with enough thrust to hold a 20 foot skipjack in place would be a better question.

Upvote 0

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
Aug 26, 2005
Chino
Name
Mike
Boat
Do they make one with enough thrust to hold a 20 foot skipjack in place would be a better question.

I followed a few posts on another board where The Florida guys have put them on 24' boats as heavy as 7000 pounds, that have a similar profile but they didn't have the bow railings on them. 115 lbs of thrust 36volt with a 72 inch long shaft.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
I followed a few posts on another board where The Florida guys have put them on 24' boats as heavy as 7000 pounds, that have a similar profile but they didn't have the bow railings on them.
Then go for it. The virtual anchor function looks great

Upvote 0

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
I have been interested in the newer bow mount trolling motors that have the ability to basically anchor the boat in place using built-in GPS. I'm just not sure if even a 60 inch long trolling motor will work and I'm curious to see if anybody else has successfully is one of these in rough water. If it would work it would be awesome for the shallow water rockcod we do to hold the boat over a spot an set a slow drift. Let me know what you guys think?

Have you seen Nardo's build thread? He has one on his build thread and give's some additional details in another thread. He has a 25' Anderson, so I don't think it'd be a problem for you.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/big-lings-are-starting-to-chew.609789/#post-3964604

_xtib3-jpg.634651

Upvote 0

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
Aug 26, 2005
Chino
Name
Mike
Boat
Good info. I found some posts that say the bow rail must be cut or remove. Cant tell from the pic what Nardo has for bow rail in the pic. I will check it out. Thanks.
Might even be able to go with the 80 lb/thrust model on my Skippy (and save 500$)

Upvote 0

dansly56

Almost A Member
Jan 13, 2015
Santa Clarita, Ca
Name
dan sly
Boat
2007 key west 225dc
I ended up buying the 72" 112lb thrust 36v for my 22ft dual console that is bow high. My boat doesn't have the rails but did have a pulpit to work around. Bout to take her out this weekend and see TM performs. Here's a couple of pics of it mounted.

IMG_7481.JPG IMG_7482.JPG IMG_7485.JPG IMG_7484.JPG

Upvote 0

Salty Paul

XIPHIAS GLADIUS
Oct 9, 2016
Bearflag South end
Name
Salty Paul
Boat
Grady White 208 Adventure
I have a Motorguide XI5,105 thrust, 60" on my Ranger. They are great for the anchor mode. In addition,they will navigate from position to position. However, I do not think that it will work for your application. The Minn Kota 72' sounds like the plan,curious to see if it is long enough. Sure would like to put one on my GW, since I am alone most of the time, which makes anchoring a little difficult at times. Of course they are 36 volt, which would require 3 more batteries and a four bank charger to keep all the batteries topped off.

Upvote 0

brokeass boater

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
Better to have the extra thrust then go through the expense and install only to find out you cant use it except on the most perfect conditions. This may be your solutions for the rail,,,Gregg

Shit, just saw the OP is a year old, o' well, maybe it'll help others

bow rail hinge.jpg

Reactions: wils
Upvote 0