Kool-Aid

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
35 Carolina Classic
Well like the post said....anyone running Suzuki 175s?

I have a repower on the brain. Whether or not I do anything about it is a whole different story.

The boat is rated to 400 total hp so up to a 200. The current salt water series Yamaha 150s push the boat great but are gas hogs and smoke.

I couldn't give two shits about the smoke out on the fishing grounds. but this boat does a lot of lake stuff real well. Lake typically means wife and kids. Wife doesn't like the two stroke smell. Likewise she's come along crabbing and shrimping and hates the smell when the wind catches the exhaust and it blows back on us.

Asking about the suzukis because I might have a lead on a good deal on a pair. Likewise it looks like the weight isn't much more than the 150s whereas some of the 200s are much heavier.

It's winter...give me your thoughts.

Upvote 0

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Whichever I am invited onto
I believe @mtotemeir has them on the boat formerly known as the Badfish, a WC 266. I was on them when Badfish Pat owned it and they ran great.

Upvote 0

64 sleeper

Father Fisherman Hunter
Nov 30, 2012
Santa Ynez/CA/USA
Name
Erik
Boat
North River Seahawk
By the time you buy two new outboards and controls now days seems like you could have sold your boat and bought another used one with the set up you want. I like Yamaha best. But $40 grand for a couple of new 200s seems pretty hard to justify.

Upvote 0

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
35 Carolina Classic
Completely forgot Marcus has those on his. I will get ahold of those guys.

64...can't find my boat with newer engine plus the money I've spent to get it set up. Bought the boat a a good price knowing I was going to throw some money in it. It has a solid hull so I will get plenty of life with it and some new engines.

Also it seems like I can get some money out of the existing engines at 300 hours there's a market for them.

Reactions: goatram
Upvote 0

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
By the time you buy two new outboards and controls now days seems like you could have sold your boat and bought another used one with the set up you want. I like Yamaha best. But $40 grand for a couple of new 200s seems pretty hard to justify.

Maybe true, but probably not. The Zuk 175s rigged won't touch 40k, and then you can subtract some money as you can liquidate the old 150s. I would be surprised if the whole repower ended up being even 30k total. Then you have a boat set up the way you want it with 0 hour motors. Most boats on the used market have at least a few hundred hours on them and usually the motor warranty is gone.

Upvote 0

Badfish Pat

Average size "Member"
Apr 10, 2012
Seattle, Wa, USA
Name
Patrick
Boat
26' Boston Whaler Outrage "PAC-MAN"
Yup... We repowered the WC with the 175's. I had absolutely no complaints with those motors. I think we paid 13k per motor with all rigging and props. (Digital gauges as well)

Only thing I would have done differently is to get the white zukes instead of the black.

Upvote 0

Hightides

Feb 27, 2012
Snohomish, WA
Name
Ron
Boat
Grady 226
Had twin 2006 Zuk 175's and never had a speck of problem, sold the boat with one year remaining of the six year warranty. Loved them. I think they were more quiet and smoother shifting than my current Yamaha V6. 2.3 Knots PG at 28-30 Knots on a Wellcraft 252 Coastal. Top speed with no gear, little fuel and three people just broke 50 MPG, though I never saw that speed again. I'd take 'em.

Upvote 0

64 sleeper

Father Fisherman Hunter
Nov 30, 2012
Santa Ynez/CA/USA
Name
Erik
Boat
North River Seahawk
13k for 175 four strokes?? That's way cheaper than Yamaha. Has anyone had them and put over 1000 hours on them? I wonder if they get as many trouble free hours as yammis do? If not is the trade off in longevity equal to the difference in price or are they still a better bargain. Can you tell I am sold on Yamaha. I own 4 of them and have had very little problems that are not worth mentioning. But I guess I could still be converted...had a Suzuki RM125 long ago

Upvote 0

tambs

Yo BD! Color Screens-Invented Mid '50s. Jus sayin.
Oct 1, 2009
Tri-Cities, WA
Name
Tom
Boat
"Bottom Line" - 25' Carolina Classic SF
I've yet to come across a Zuk owner that had a bad thing to say about them. Pull the trigger.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I've yet to come across a Zuk owner that had a bad thing to say about them. Pull the trigger.
I have one gripe and it's that two separate 175's that I have been on a boat with ground badly when thrown in reverse. Horrid sound. Neither were my boat and I'm not sure what the issue was with either. Both were less than 200 hrs. Weird. Owner said it was "Normal".

Upvote 0

Fishinnut

Apr 18, 2008
Monroe, WA USA
Name
Ron Garner
Boat
32 Proline Express
Like Gary said I have twin 2008 175s on my old Trophy. Its a 2502 and very big for a 25. Its a 9'6 beam and I love them. They never fail and start every time. Just like a new car. They are supposed to last longer than most 4 strokes. I have heard many times of them going 4-6000 hours and one of the reasons I went with Suzukis. My Trophy is pretty big and it will hit 46 MPH wide open.

I am thinking about selling this boat as I bought a 32 Proline. I liked my Suzuki DF 175s so much my next boat had to have them. So my Proline has twin DF300 Suzukis.The milage of the Trophy with the 175s has way better gas milage than the Proline but it muight be impossible to keep up with two saltwater boats and trailers.

Both boats have the Suzuki motors tied into the NMEA 2000 network so I can see everything on the motors on my Lowrances. Great set up. I highly recommend this.

As far as grinding going into reverse, neither of my boats dont grind. I have heard the Yamis grind.

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
I know there is a few around but think about available service shops. Not a ton of places that work on Zuks. Have you looked at the Yami F200 I4. Throw reliance SDS stainless props on em and DEC controls...generally Yami runs a Spring into Summer sales event, probably get 1k at least off each motor.

Otherwise I don't have much of an opinion of the Zuk's. Have never run them.

Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
Have a 2007 Suzuki DF175 on a 21' CC with about 500 hours. No issues whatsoever. Perform my own oil changes and no metal shavings in motor oil or lower unit oil. Oil filter replaced every oil change. Never needed to add oil before the 100 hour oil change.

Service is performed every 100 hours as specified by manufacture and only use Suzuki parts and fluids. All zinc anodes inspected and cleaned every 100 hours. Spray lots of SaltAway inside engine block from zinc anode openings on the engine block. Replace all zinc anodes every 200 hours regardless of condition.

Motor always flushed immediately for a minimum of 8 minutes after out of saltwater. Engine always coated with Boeshield T9 the next day and wiped down. Thermostat removed every 200 hours and tested and sprayed with SaltAway. A little excessive in the maintenance but I rather find issues on land than on the water.

I don't have a noise issues when shifting the motor into reverse or forward gear. It could make an annoying grinding sound if shifting too slow. Need to shift faster to avoid the grinding sound. Some Yami's have a normal loud clunking sound when shifting into gear. My DF175 didn't like a 4 blade Mercury Rev4 prop. It made the scariest clunking sound. So that propeller was dismissed immediately.

I'm very happy with the motor's performance, quietness and fuel economy. The only complaint I have is it's a little slow out of the hole. The other issue is flushing the motor. I have to install a two way hose adapter to flush water into the side hose connection flush port and a second hose connection to the ear muffs. Need to prime the side flush port first then feed water the to the ear muffs and then start motor. This is the only way I can get a strong water stream from the telltale (peehole).

Upvote 0

kdubinwa

Jun 8, 2009
Bellevue, WA
Name
Kurt
Boat
25' North River OS
I have one gripe and it's that two separate 175's that I have been on a boat with ground badly when thrown in reverse. Horrid sound. Neither were my boat and I'm not sure what the issue was with either. Both were less than 200 hrs. Weird. Owner said it was "Normal".

Mine don't make any noise until you drop the hammer. Could be the electronic shift...
Ton's of power. Can easily swing a 16 inch prop. A good option IMO.

Upvote 0

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
35 Carolina Classic
On the power side of things I'm hoping for good instant power.

I loved that about my etec. (Granted on that boat I went from a 150 4 stroke to the 200ho etec) so it was a night and day difference.

Our ocean dictates ending an engine that will make the boat immediately react when you bang the throttles. I just don't want to lose that going from 300 horses of two stroke power (circa 1999 technology) to 350 horses of 4 stroke power

Upvote 0

tambs

Yo BD! Color Screens-Invented Mid '50s. Jus sayin.
Oct 1, 2009
Tri-Cities, WA
Name
Tom
Boat
"Bottom Line" - 25' Carolina Classic SF
Here's an excerpt from Boating World Magazine talking about Zuk's....

TECH OF THE MOTOR MEN
SUZUKI

SUZUKI’S OFFSET DRIVESHAFT in all models 70 hp and up represents one of its major differentiators. Since most of a four-stroke’s weight is in the powerhead, the offset drive shaft moves weight forward to improve the center of gravity. Suzuki also uses lower gear ratios and thus can swing bigger-pitch props for better holeshot and midrange speed.
Suzuki contributes to greater durability and ease of maintenance by eliminating the usual timing belt atop the engine. Rather, it uses a timing chain bathed in oil at the powerhead base. Doing so lowers the overall profile of the engine and changes the dreaded timing belt into a maintenance-free affair for the life of engine while narrowing the angle of its cylinders to 55 degrees, for lighter weight. Combined with its other design features, the package provides exceptional top-speed performance. Suzuki’s Multipoint Sequential Electronic Digital Fuel Injection also allows one to jam the throttle at cruise speed and experience that sudden pin-you-back-in-your-seat feeling that’s necessary at cruising speed.
To help its holeshot performance, Suzuki typically has the largest displacement in each class and employs a lower standard gear ratio to swing bigger props for better torque. Technology such as variable valve timing and multistage air induction conspire to send riders tumbling backwards if they aren’t holding on when the captain shoves the throttle forward.
All Suzuki engines, from the 9.9 hp to its 300 hp model, come equipped with Multi Point Sequential Digital Fuel Injection and Lean Burn Technology, the latter of which is controlled by the onboard computer and monitors engine performance and operating conditions to determine the air/gas mixture needed to meet the load demands the outboard is under. The system can lean the ratio of fuel-to-air mixture down to 18 parts of air to one part of fuel, instead of a constant, standard mixture of approximately 14.7 parts of air to one part fuel. Lean Burn results in 18 to 22 percent better fuel economy through its operating range until near wide-open throttle.
Suzuki wants its customers to be as independent as they choose when it comes to maintenance. The company puts videos online to instruct customers how to do things such as service their engine’s water pump, change the gear case oil and change fuel filters.

Entire article (talks about all the major players): http://www.boatingworld.com/articles/bigger-horsepower-smaller-engines/

Tough to beat the low end grunt and snappy throttle response of a supercharged motor though. Verado's are king in that category.

For the ultimate snap-you-out-of-your-shorts experience, drop $90K each on a pair of 7-Marine 627's and never look back. (You'll get severe whiplash if you do).

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Have a 2007 Suzuki DF175 on a 21' CC with about 500 hours. No issues whatsoever. Perform my own oil changes and no metal shavings in motor oil or lower unit oil. Oil filter replaced every oil change. Never needed to add oil before the 100 hour oil change.

Service is performed every 100 hours as specified by manufacture and only use Suzuki parts and fluids. All zinc anodes inspected and cleaned every 100 hours. Spray lots of SaltAway inside engine block from zinc anode openings on the engine block. Replace all zinc anodes every 200 hours regardless of condition.

Motor always flushed immediately for a minimum of 8 minutes after out of saltwater. Engine always coated with Boeshield T9 the next day and wiped down. Thermostat removed every 200 hours and tested and sprayed with SaltAway. A little excessive in the maintenance but I rather find issues on land than on the water.

I don't have a noise issues when shifting the motor into reverse or forward gear. It could make an annoying grinding sound if shifting too slow. Need to shift faster to avoid the grinding sound. Some Yami's have a normal loud clunking sound when shifting into gear. My DF175 didn't like a 4 blade Mercury Rev4 prop. It made the scariest clunking sound. So that propeller was dismissed immediately.

I'm very happy with the motor's performance, quietness and fuel economy. The only complaint I have is it's a little slow out of the hole. The other issue is flushing the motor. I have to install a two way hose adapter to flush water into the side hose connection flush port and a second hose connection to the ear muffs. Need to prime the side flush port first then feed water the to the ear muffs and then start motor. This is the only way I can get a strong water stream from the telltale (peehole).

You do realize that when flushing your motor from the hose port you do NOT run the motor.

Upvote 0

64 sleeper

Father Fisherman Hunter
Nov 30, 2012
Santa Ynez/CA/USA
Name
Erik
Boat
North River Seahawk
Are Suzukis as Quiet as Yamahas? Every time I take someone new out in my boat they think the motor stalls when I slow down to an idle, it is so quiet. Also very quiet at cruise. I road in a boat with a newer Mercury four stroke and it sounded like a bucket of bolts. I think that says something about the motors longevity. I have not ridden in a boat with a Suzuki yet.

Upvote 0

kdubinwa

Jun 8, 2009
Bellevue, WA
Name
Kurt
Boat
25' North River OS
I've never run other brands side by side but my Zuks are very hard to hear at idle -- even from the cockpit steering station. Glad they are protected by an electronic start circuit or I would be grinding the starter when I don't glance at the tach. Not a reason to buy IMO as others are pretty similar.

Upvote 0