Anyone out on the 371 / 425 on 10/30?

ediggity

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA USA
Name
Edwin
Looking to trailer down to SD to head to that zone on Sat for some Halloween fishing with the kids. Trying to get them into their first yet. Heard the water turned though. Any info or reports from 10/30 would be helpful. Thanks all.

Dan Salazar

Aug 23, 2014
Costa Mesa
Name
Dan Salazar
Boat
Hammer Time
Looking to trailer down to SD to head to that zone on Sat for some Halloween fishing with the kids. Trying to get them into their first yet. Heard the water turned though. Any info or reports from 10/30 would be helpful. Thanks all.
You need to go about 10 miles West of the 371 to get in the warm clean water good fishing out there

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
went today 10-30-2020. Started at the 371 for zero then went south to find puddling skipjack. Fed the school for all you wanted skipjack. Got two football yellowfin before leaving. Trolled the cedar plug and got bit by something big. It destroyed the cedar plug and damaged the line 4 foot from the hook. It got away. Went to the upper hidden for three more yellowfin. Caught a dorado coming back.

BullFrogVI

Retired USN SEAL
Jun 19, 2008
SAN DIEGO CA
Name
GENE WARDROBE
Boat
24 WA' SEAPRO W/225HP MERC VERADO
went today 10-30-2020. Started at the 371 for zero then went south to find puddling skipjack. Fed the school for all you wanted skipjack. Got two football yellowfin before leaving. Trolled the cedar plug and got bit by something big. It destroyed the cedar plug and damaged the line 4 foot from the hook. It got away. Went to the upper hidden for three more yellowfin. Caught a dorado coming back.
Great report. Limits YFT due to ur persistence. Sounds like you (tangled) with a wahoo - just guessing. From info U provided sharpened my cedar plug hooks xtra sharp. Going Sunday with sons & grandson.

Kirk951

May 20, 2016
Canyon Lake
Name
Kirk Lessley
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
I'll be there tomorrow. Call me... Kirk on the Grady No Name on 72.. then drop to channel 5

wahoo_92606

Dec 19, 2008
Placentia/CA/Orange
Name
Sean
Boat
18 Panga
Hey Bullfrog, we’ll be fishing the same area this Sunday too, monitoring ch 72, we can work together combing the areas. Sonny.

socaldieseltech

Jun 5, 2006
Irvine, CA
Name
Clyde
Boat
252 GW Sailfish “Rosie”
I'll be there tomorrow. Call me... Kirk on the Grady No Name on 72.. then drop to channel 5
Hey Kirk I’m going tomorrow as well. We’ve worked together before. Clyde on the Rosie. I’ll call you on 72 when we get in the zone

Canvas Man

Feb 6, 2008
San Diego
Name
Ken
Boat
25' Hydro Sport
Hey Kirk I’m going tomorrow as well. We’ve worked together before. Clyde on the Rosie. I’ll call you on 72 when we get in the zone
Ken on "It's All Good " will be out there leaving MB about 6:30 25 Hydra sport red canvas on front window hope to work with others was out on Wednesday started around the 302 limits of yt by 9 am a couple in the 8lb range but went to 371 and found nothing till on the way home inside the 302 more yt.

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Boat
19 SeaPro
Great report. Limits YFT due to ur persistence. Sounds like you (tangled) with a wahoo - just guessing. From info U provided sharpened my cedar plug hooks xtra sharp. Going Sunday with sons & grandson.
Leader for the cedar plug was frayed quite a bit on this first use of the plug. Wood surrounding the hook is broken. The fish took a lot of line before disconnecting. I was thinking it was a big yellowfin. Maybe a yellowfin wouldn't have damaged the line. Would a wahoo explain the situation or maybe a yellowfin makes more sense ?

Kirk951

May 20, 2016
Canyon Lake
Name
Kirk Lessley
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
Magic paddy just south of the 371.. 4 nice dorado and lost a couple others, 2 yellowfin 15lbs, 6 small yellowtail. Went west of the 371 at first about 5 miles and the temp dropped. Made a 5 mile box and found the paddy. Didn't see any birds working. Water is 70.2 The Canyon looked really fishy on the way in.

Reactions: Big_Tuna_

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
Leader for the cedar plug was frayed quite a bit on this first use of the plug. Wood surrounding the hook is broken. The fish took a lot of line before disconnecting. I was thinking it was a big yellowfin. Maybe a yellowfin wouldn't have damaged the line. Would a wahoo explain the situation or maybe a yellowfin makes more sense ?
Or shark

NorCalSoCalIDC

Worst Fisherman
Aug 4, 2011
Vista
www.cafishingnews.com
Name
Ernie Gorham
Boat
11' SportCat Truline
Marlin, almost certainly.

BullFrogVI

Retired USN SEAL
Jun 19, 2008
SAN DIEGO CA
Name
GENE WARDROBE
Boat
24 WA' SEAPRO W/225HP MERC VERADO
Was stationed out in Hawaii for about 5 years where the 50 lb +Wahoo patrol 2-3 miles offshore. They have teeth that open close like a pair of shears & like to hit a skirt in the middle (which on my first read of your report sounded like a wahoo because of the massive damage to the cedar). (FYI, fishermen routinely lose fingers, hands, toes, feet, etc from a wahoo sizzor bite). Conversely, you have a solid case for a big YFT, YFT will try to spool you before they go deep into their death spiral. Odds are on your side, since not many Wahoo reports this year. What's got me still thinking is how severe the damage was to the C. plug. (Unusual) Guess we will never know but I'll give you an 75% YFT vs my 25% Wahoo:) LOL Both are my favorite eating. Tight lines Otto.

Reactions: 1tufftuna and Otto

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Boat
19 SeaPro
Was stationed out in Hawaii for about 5 years where the 50 lb +Wahoo patrol 2-3 miles offshore. They have teeth that open close like a pair of shears & like to hit a skirt in the middle (which on my first read of your report sounded like a wahoo because of the massive damage to the cedar). (FYI, fishermen routinely lose fingers, hands, toes, feet, etc from a wahoo sizzor bite). Conversely, you have a solid case for a big YFT, YFT will try to spool you before they go deep into their death spiral. Odds are on your side, since not many Wahoo reports this year. What's got me still thinking is how severe the damage was to the C. plug. (Unusual) Guess we will never know but I'll give you an 75% YFT vs my 25% Wahoo:) LOL Both are my favorite eating. Tight lines Otto.
As I look at this damaged cedar plug I see teeth imprints. in the wood. At one place I see 4 small imprints in 1/2 of an inch. Further up the wood the teeth imprints look bigger. Deeper imprints - 4 teeth 1/2 inch.

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Boat
19 SeaPro
Teeth marks in the lead head of the 8 inch cedar plug also - 5 teeth close together.

longboard85

Dec 14, 2011
La mesa ca
Name
cody
Boat
17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
Just got back, fished about 5 -8 miles South of the 371, limited out on yellowfins for two people, gave away over 10 yellowfins. Water temp 70 degree.
Nice work kelp or jigstike?

Paul Ward

Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
Macro