the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Probably right makairaa. Fished for Perch and Sheephead from the rocks at Monarch Point, they were always considered Perch along with Opaleye and Barred,

I stand corrected.

Last edited:

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
FYI there was a dense population of sargo (along with orange mouth corvina) in the Salton Sea that attracted thousands of anglers throughout Southern California in the 60's-70's. You could just tie your boat off to a dead stick-up tree, chum with corn and catch an easy limit of big fat sargo. Was great fun for beginners.

Tunachaser976

Aug 30, 2017
Long beach, ca
Name
Jerry
Boat
Striper 21
I appreciate all the good info from those more experienced with the subject of Sargo than I.

Just to clear out some of the concerns and paranoia that a couple folks expressed. NO, I'M NOT DEFECTIVE and would have enough intelligence to NOT keep a fish that I didn't know the regs on. My uncle is the same way and the mystery fish at the time was released after a quick picture. I carry a DFG paper handbook onboard along with a digital copy on a tablet just to be safe. I understand that we live in California and at times common sense is not so common but come on fellas.

Once again thank you to those for the help with the identification.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScaleyOne and Haly0

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
I appreciate all the good info from those more experienced with the subject of Sargo than I.

Just to clear out some of the concerns and paranoia that a couple folks expressed. NO, I'M NOT DEFECTIVE and would have enough intelligence to NOT keep a fish that I didn't know the regs on. My uncle is the same way and the mystery fish at the time was released after a quick picture. I carry a DFG paper handbook onboard along with a digital copy on a tablet just to be safe. I understand that we live in California and at times common sense is not so common but come on fellas.

Once again thank you to those for the help with the identification.
Good on ya for the release. People probably posted about keeping it because it wasn't hanging on a line but in a cooler? , on a cutting board, looking say, tired.
Haven't kept one but caught a bunch fishing for seabass.