Anyone know what these types of jigs are used for?

Rachmak

Oct 13, 2020
Pasadena, Ca
Name
Jason
Boat
Non
Found these in my Father in Law's fishing tackle box. He fished mostly saltwater but these look like freshwater jigs - they are quite small in size, about 1.5" total length. Can anyone tell me what they are used for? And is it OK to cast them "as-is"?

Many thanks!

jigs copy.jpg

Da Mad Anglah

Old fut who still misses home on da islands
Oct 21, 2020
Idaho (and sometimes Honolulu)
Name
Chris
Boat
'93 18' Weldcraft "Rod Rage"
Looks like GitZit's small fry jighead with a tube lure, definitely good for freshwater stuff. Use them around here in Idaho for crappie and bass.

styxchaser

REALLY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
Would help to know how big they are.

They look like small hoochies mounted on lead heads so might catch about anything.

I use 5-6" versions in Baja all the time and have caught everything from dorado and tuna to cabrilla. I never go to Baja without hoochies. Rig wither for trolling or for casting.

I used to fish the little ones on light spinning gear in Channel Islands Harbor (I lived on my boat in those days) for sand bass and even caught a few halibut on the them (with the help of a little cat food chum). Never ate those fish as the harbor had ecoli from jerks who pumped out holding tanks at night.

Reactions: Rachmak

Hismosa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
Would help to know how big they are.

They look like small hoochies mounted on lead heads so might catch about anything.

I use 5-6" versions in Baja all the time and have caught everything from dorado and tuna to cabrilla. I never go to Baja without hoochies. Rig wither for trolling or for casting.

I used to fish the little ones on light spinning gear in Channel Islands Harbor (I lived on my boat in those days) for sand bass and even caught a few halibut on the them (with the help of a little cat food chum). Never ate those fish as the harbor had ecoli from jerks who pumped out holding tanks at night.
He said the size in his post.

Reactions: Chvdvz

NaClAddict

Jul 18, 2008
torrance
Name
Greg
Boat
22 glasstron
Crappie tube lures. They catch everything. My kids use them for macks.

Reactions: Noms

mackereljoe

Apr 1, 2007
Long Beach
Name
Joey
Boat
None
I remember using those over 4 decades ago. Pier fishing with #4 test line with strip of fillet anchovy. Good for queenfish and mackerel.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Good for any small predatory fish from trout and panfish in freshwater to small bass, bonito surf perch and mackerel in the salt:

NaClAddict

Jul 18, 2008
torrance
Name
Greg
Boat
22 glasstron
There’s a lot of fish that will eat those. I’m not giving up any more secrets.

Reactions: plj46